SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recurve string life?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recurve string life? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I shot with a recurve for awhile (less than a year) but stopped - the range closed.

A new range opened up recently. Do recurve strings have a life? Do they naturally degrade over time (even w/out use)? Or just primarily with use?

Based on usage, I think I've got a good 1-2 years worth of life left. But not sure about degradation over time just sitting there (it's been about 2 years or more).

Safe to use or should I just start off with new strings? Not sure if I'm going to keep it up (new range is pretty expensive - so maybe just keep some basic skills up - go once a month or so).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Following, as my daughter has been taking archery lessons & I'm wanting to give it a shot as well.

Not sure if relevant, but has the bow been strung the whole time it's been idle?
I noticed a few guys at the archery range unstringing their recurves as they were leaving the line.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Unless it's visibly damaged, I would not worry about it. Add some fresh wax and let them fly. Maybe measure the brace height to see if there has been any stretch. If the brace height is too low, add a twist or two to the string.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I’ll use the strings as visually they seem fine.

I take off the strings after each session. I have ILF style bows so it gets taken down after each session.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post