SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bird Flu-efffects/precautions for Pet birds?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bird Flu-efffects/precautions for Pet birds? Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I have had a Blue and Gold macaw Parrot for 21 years.When the temps get up over 75 degrees I like to take him out to the deck and let him talk and visit with people that walk by (I live on a corner and have a raised deck).
This year I have resisted taking him out because of the Bird Flu. I live in Chicago so no water foul are encountered only the usual wild birds for our area.

For you Bird experts; When would be a safe time to take the bird outdoors on a perch?

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
OK, bird flu os contagious only of you allow them to come in contact with a sick bird.
As long as he's just out in the sunshine, he's safe.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Never worried about it in the 30+ years I’ve kept parrots. Be responsible, don’t let your baby interact with the Wild ones. Clean up his location before perching him outside. You’ll be fine.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post