SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Way to receive payment I did not know before
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Way to receive payment I did not know before Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
You can write a check on a piece of toilet paper.

What?
It is a legal document as long as there is a bank account with funds to go with it. In practice, you'll have a hard time cashing or depositing it. Or writing one to, say, a grocery store. I know of no retail establishment that will take a non-pre-printed check.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

quote:

...I know of no retail establishment that will take a non-pre-printed check.

Not even asswipe?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The faxed check deal is something I've never heard of, so it seems weird to me

^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah new to me. Interesting since health care seems to be the one area where faxes are still used. I just replaced my fax with a new machine. Lightning fast and has functions I will never use. Learn something here every day.

Posts: 17531 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Refer to your bank’s deposit account agreement. It almost certainly is not allowed.

Sure, it might work. The bank may not notice. You can also forge a check and signature with the permission of the owner of the account.

Is it illegal and against the bank’s policy? Yup.

But yeah, it might work.

Posts: 1460 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Nope, I don't see any bank taking a fax, toilet paper, or any non-official check.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frank Abagnale, you may want to view him on You tube, Re: paying by check.

he does NOT recommend that form of payment

https://www.youtube.com/result...query=Frank+Abagnale

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Preferably a clean piece.

Posts: 2007 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VANQUISH:
If you have mobile banking and can do check deposits on your phone the buyer can just write a check and text you a pic of the front and back and you can deposit into your account.

Easy peasy.

Now that is brilliant. Bank has no way of knowing who or where the pic of the check was taken. To the bank app it is just a pic of a check and should be acceptable. Save a tree.

Posts: 2007 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
quote:
If you have mobile banking and can do check deposits on your phone the buyer can just write a check and text you a pic of the front and back and you can deposit into your account.

Easy peasy.

Now that is brilliant. Bank has no way of knowing who or where the pic of the check was taken. To the bank app it is just a pic of a check and should be acceptable. Save a tree.

But how do you endorse it then?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Not fax, but a check related story.

Best friends Dad had accounts at three banks for decades. Let's just say was a little... odd.

Anyway...
He had checks printed with all three bank names and account numbers on every check so he didn't have to carry three check books. He marks out two of the three leaving the one he wants to use for that particular check. He told me one bank had origionally pushed back, and said he could not do that. He suggested they consult with their legal department before loosing his business... they decided to take them.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
quote:

Easy peasy.

But how do you endorse it then?

If a check is made payable to you, you don't have to personally endorse it to deposit it. You can write or stamp "For Deposit" or "For Deposit Only" and the bank will accept the deposit for your account.

I frequently deposit checks into my Chase account with the app, and I use a "For Deposit Only" stamp. I've always taken photos of front and back when prompted by the app-I don't know that I could use a photo that was already on my phone.

Addressing another comment, legally the paper has no significance, so you could definitely write a check, or a promissory note, or a contract, on toilet paper, or the proverbial "back of an envelope", and it would absolutely be 100% legally binding. Whether or not your bank would accept it is a different matter.

Posts: 3549 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
quote:

Easy peasy.

My bank allows me to deposit a check via photo of front and back, but I have to endorse the back with a signature before taking the picture.

Posts: 1515 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Sorry my fax stopped working when I replaced it with my morse code machine.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What?

Not anymore. The bank laws were changed sometime in the 90s to disallow that sort of thing and standardized how the numbers are maintained at the bottom of the check. It was the same time when they changed so you can only endorsed in a certain area in the back of the check.

I can believe a fax by check. Thank the Japanese in that when faxes were starting, they pushed for faxed signed documents as being legal. Having said that, hardly anyone uses an actual fax machine now adays.

I've faxed via free online fax services via the web.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20080 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry my fax stopped working when I replaced it with my morse code machine.

^^^^^^^
The WSJ had a recent article about how Health care and Hospitals rely heavily on faxes to commmunicate patient information. It pretty much ties you to a landline as well unless you get extra equipment. (I could not get my telegraph working or as you call it your morse code machine) so had to replace it. Just hope the Indians do not cut your lines.

Posts: 17531 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post