SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Way to receive payment I did not know before
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Way to receive payment I did not know before Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
A buyer wanted to pay me by fax, having his bank fax me a check directly. I didn't know a bank can just fax you a check, and you just take that faxed piece of paper and deposit it into your bank? Doesn't matter, because my fax is messed up, anyway. But, has anyone get paid this way? It's a new one on me.

Q

Posts: 27625 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose so. I do most of my check deposits with an app on my phone that crops the image, makes it black and white, and handles it that way. Bank never sees the paper check.

Posts: 5203 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Theoretically possible, sure. It’s the routing and account numbers, amount, payee, and signature that make it a check - not the actual paper.

That said, I guarantee your bank would either balk at taking it or at the very least, put a “special” (i.e., extra long) hold on the funds if they did accept it.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16317 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I haven't gotten paid but I have paid with fax check.
I've also gotten rebate checks via email. Mobil 1 gives the option to have your rebate emailed and you print off the check.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't even need the fax. Bank to bank transfers and ACH is common.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I'd ask my bank what their take is.

If they play this new game, they'll probably have a process as to how you would endorse and deposit it.

If they don't, then I'd push back on the prospective buyer.

Posts: 15158 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
You can write a check on a piece of toilet paper.

Year V

Posts: 2674 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
You don't even need the fax. Bank to bank transfers and ACH is common.

I know about the other forms of payment and have used them frequently. But, that's not the topic/question of this thread. The faxed check deal is something I've never heard of, so it seems weird to me. At least one person above has faxed checks as payments, so I guess it's legit. I have no concerns about buyer, since he has 100% positive feedback.

Q

Posts: 27625 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have mobile banking and can do check deposits on your phone the buyer can just write a check and text you a pic of the front and back and you can deposit into your account.

Easy peasy.

Posts: 826 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
No.

Photocopy, faxed, or otherwise altered checks are not negotiable.

Faxed checks are turned into ACH payments or bank drafts with additional authorized language from a business customer. Prior agreement with the bank must be authorized and is granted to business accounts only.

Posts: 1460 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VANQUISH:
If you have mobile banking and can do check deposits on your phone the buyer can just write a check and text you a pic of the front and back and you can deposit into your account.

Easy peasy.

This advice can result in the closure of your account.

Posts: 1460 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps, but my banks allow text photo deposits.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I had always thought "I'll fax you a check" was a joke. I didn't know it was a real thing.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:

What?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

What?

When you gotta pay for some shit.

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

What?

I don’t know if this is true anymore but when I was in school learning about personal finance I was told that if you were to draw a check (my teacher used a paper bag as his example) and it contained the correct information then the bank would cash it.

I never tried it so I don’t know if he was right and if it did then I don’t know if it would still work now but that’s what I learned in the 90’s.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15277 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
people still use a fax?

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10594 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
FAX. I last sent a FAX in like 1995. Smile

The item you're selling must have a KF date code or earlier for a FAX check to work. Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11109 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The harder part will be sending whatever you are selling back to 1989.

Seriously though like was said above our bank allows us to send pictures of checks via our mobile banking so not that different. That being said cash or postal money order for me unless your last nam is Christ.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7889 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
FAX. I last sent a FAX in like 1995. Smile

The item you're selling must have a KF date code or earlier for a FAX check to work. Smile

Ha ha, that's too funny, because it is a KF SIG. Eek

Q