SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trading in my iPad and have security questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trading in my iPad and have security questions Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted
I will be trading in my old iPad Pro for a newer one. I have everything backed up to iCloud. Is there anything else I should do before returning it to the mother ship like deleting apps etc.

I would like to return this as "clean" as possible.
Thanks!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6320 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Reset it to “factory default”, but even then I remain concerned that something personal stays behind.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
This ^^^^^

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I recently traded in my Iphone and did the same factory default process.
As many millions of devices that go through this and with the huge potential liability Apple could face if this was a problem, I'm sleeping reasonably well at night.

Posts: 9519 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Factory reset will take care of you. The firms selling you additional data wipe tools will try to convince you otherwise.

After you wipe, just don't log back into your icloud account or compete other setup steps on the device or you're essentially starting the steps to bring it back to current state.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12420 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I would log out of my iCloud account, and turn off Find My iPad, then reset to factory default.

When you’re done, with a different device, make sure you remove your old ipad from your iCloud account.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
All though I trust Apple I still have my last 3 iphones, but I keep them a really long time so I dont feel that bad not trading them back in for the credit.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:

I would log out of my iCloud account, and turn off Find My iPad, then reset to factory default.

These 3 things are key when getting rid of or selling an old Apple device and moving to a new one.

I'd also do one last good backup.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Backups - I should have added that in addition to iCloud I also do one to an actual computer. Haven't needed that, but just in case....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12420 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
One other thing that I have been doing as SOP when moving to a new device is some housekeeping. I will go through and do an audit of the apps on there and delete ones then I don't want or use anymore then you aren't carrying them over to the new device.

I got my wife a new iPhone 14 recently and did this for her, this woman must have had like 879 apps on that phone and used maybe 20 of them.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
If your old phone has a physical SIM, I'd pull it and destroy it (or transfer it to your new phone). You don't want some unknown party making calls on your account, or getting "SIM-jacked."

Posts: 6479 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
I keep my Apple products for a considerable time and when I upgrade I don't trade them in. I take a small sledge hammer to them and then the parts to the dump.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1559 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
As others have said factory reset will take care of it. It will delete everything you ever had on the phone(contacts, pictures, apps, etc.) and return it to factory settings.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post