SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Walmart has 5-pack Father's Day cards, what am I missing?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walmart has 5-pack Father's Day cards, what am I missing? Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
5-pack of Father's day cards available Big Grin

While it's funny at face value, what am I missing or am I correct to shake my head at how absurd this is?

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6625 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Let’s you have 5 kids and each one wants their own card to deliver. It’s possible they have different addresses, I mean who knows?

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5237 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who be my baby daddy?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3634 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
Let’s you have 5 kids and each one wants their own card to deliver. It’s possible they have different addresses, I mean who knows?

Hmmm, I can buy that there are 5 or less kids in the house and mom just buys a 5-pack so each kid can give Dad an individual card, but who's giving Dad 5 of the same card lol.

Posts: 6625 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I wasn't aware that greeting cards expired within the next 1-4 years. Wink

All joking aside, I can imagine a situation where - even without a bunch of "baby daddys" - a woman could have 5 fathers in her life to whom she wants to send a card:

Husband and father of their kids
Her own father
Her father in law
Maternal grandfather
Paternal grandfather

Then if you start throwing in stepfathers, it expands further.

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I wasn't aware that greeting cards expired within the next 1-4 years. Wink

Get out of here lol, you giving him the same card every year? I'm not sure I would notice, but still!

That list makes sense. I was thinking one for each of my step dads I've had.

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:

Hmmm, I can buy that there are 5 or less kids in the house and mom just buys a 5-pack so each kid can give Dad an individual card, but who's giving Dad 5 of the same card lol.

I knew a woman with three kids. Each kid with a different father.
Five is not much of a stretch.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My dad never noticed my mom gave him the same Christmas card three years in a row. Same card, same envelope. Put it on display for a few weeks, back in the envelope, and back in the drawer for next year. We found out when she passed and we were cleaning out the drawers.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:

I knew a woman with three kids. Each kid with a different father.
Five is not much of a stretch.

Oh I see, yeah not arguing that, but that just means me shaking my head is correct!

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
My dad never noticed my mom gave him the same Christmas card three years in a row. Same card, same envelope. Put it on display for a few weeks, back in the envelope, and back in the drawer for next year. We found out when she passed and we were cleaning out the drawers.

That's hilarious and wholesome in a way, my wife of course would be madder than hell, but I think its funny.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I dealt with a guy a few weeks ago at work who felt the need to share (with zero prompting on my part!) that his dad and grandpa were the same person. When you considered the totality of the circumstances, it actually kind of explained a lot. But that situation warrants 2 cards...one for father's day, and another for grandparent's day. I have no answer for the five pack.

Posts: 9250 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^ Might could be. ^^^

There are a lot of grandparents nowadays who are having to raise one or more of their grandkids.

It could be that Grandpa and Grandma have had to legally adopt a grandchild/grandchildren.

It sucks, but that's the reality today, for example too many young adults with children get involved with drugs or crime and are dead or incarcerated for a long long time.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
^^^ Might could be. ^^^

There are a lot of grandparents nowadays who are having to raise one or more of their grandkids.

It could be that Grandpa and Grandma have had to legally adopt a grandchild/grandchildren.

It sucks, but that's the reality today, for example too many young adults with children get involved with drugs or crime and are dead or incarcerated for a long long time.

I've known a few instances where a mom and dad took on their grandchild from a way-too-young daughter and raised the child as a sibling of its actual mother, sometimes not knowing the truth until way later in life.

I've never personally known a man to father a child with his child.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A true Father-Grandfather situation like that is always going to be messy, but I had a few dealings at work with a somewhat more benign (though still kinda trashy) Uncle-Daddy situation.

Story was like this: Teenaged boy starts dating teenaged girl. Then boy's divorced dad and girl's divorced mom hit it off. Right around the time the parents are announcing their engagement, girl comes up pregnant by the boy. Parents proceed with wedding. By the time the baby is born, its father is also its (step)uncle, because the teenaged parents are now stepsiblings.

So no incest involved, but I still bet Family Tree day in school was going to be a bit confusing for that kid.

And yes, there are lots of grandparents who end up raising their grandbabies. Sometimes due to no fault of their own or the parents. But unfortunately, while not always, it often enough just means that they now have a second generation of kids to screw up with their shitty parenting. (E.g. parent is an addict/criminal due in part to a shitty childhood and can't care for the kid, so they end up with the grandparents who are responsible for the mother's shitty childhood to begin with, thus extending the cycle.)

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
A true Father-Grandfather situation like that is always going to be messy, but I had a few dealings at work with a somewhat more benign (though still kinda trashy) Uncle-Daddy situation.

Story was like this: Teenaged boy starts dating teenaged girl. Then boy's divorced dad and girl's divorced mom hit it off. Right around the time the parents are announcing their engagement, girl comes up pregnant by the boy. Parents proceed with wedding. By the time the baby is born, its father is also its (step)uncle, because the teenaged parents are now stepsiblings.

So no incest involved, but I still bet Family Tree day in school was going to be a bit confusing for that kid.

And yes, there are lots of grandparents who end up raising their grandbabies. Sometimes due to no fault of their own or the parents. But unfortunately, while not always, it often enough just means that they now have a second generation of kids to screw up with their shitty parenting. (E.g. parent is an addict/criminal due in part to a shitty childhood and can't care for the kid, so they end up with the grandparents who are responsible for the mother's shitty childhood to begin with, thus extending the cycle.)

My maternal grandparents ended up being step-siblings in this way.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
There could be a traditional father/husband, sons who are fathers, sons in law, grandfathers….. I can see the need for the five pack

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
^^^ Might could be. ^^^

Yeah, that's not what this was. Grandpa made a baby with his daughter.

Posts: 9250 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I have Valentine and Birthday cards for 2-3 years stored up, so what's your problem with planning and trip efficiency? AND panic-avoidance.... Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I mean, why buy one when you can buy five at five times the price?

Plus, you're missing the clear economies of scale here. Five will cost less to print than one, so instead of paying five times the cost, you are probably paying only 3.5 times the price. What a bargain!!

Last, but most relevant, what dad is actually going to remember what Father's Day card he got last year, right? This makes SO much sense for today's value minded shopper.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2081 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
"Well, we didn't do a DNA test, but I'm pretty sure that one of you guys is the father."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post