SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Since it’s June 6, I’ll share something I found on Omaha Beach
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Since it’s June 6, I’ll share something I found on Omaha Beach Login/Join 
Picture of Old Vark WSO
posted
Just under 30 years ago, I was near the end of a four year tour at an air base in England. It was summer and I had leave scheduled, so the wife and I loaded the car, drove to Dover and got on hovercraft ferry (car and all) and “flew” to Boulogne, France. It was great to drive on the “correct” side of the road again - we headed to Normandy to tour the countryside and visit the historic sites/museums, including the invasion beaches.

We found Omaha Beach and walked around by the water’s edge looking at the view towards the low bluffs just inland. Not much if any sand as I recall - it was all rocks. As I looked down at the rocks, I saw this one and it caught my eye. It had two concave areas on opposite sides with a near perfectly round hole going through the middle. My only thought was it had to be a bullet hole. After looking around more closely, I found several more rocks with similar holes, but not as well defined as this one. I got out my pin gauge set before writing this and found the biggest I could get to go through was .291” - just a hair over 7mm.

[IMG

Considering the hundreds of thousands of rounds that were fired by both sides on D-Day, I’m sure this rock is probably not uncommon, but I keep it as a reminder of what the men who landed on these beaches accomplished that day and the tremendous adversity they overcame. Hope you find it interesting, posting it today seemed appropriate.

OVW

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Old Vark WSO,

Posts: 77 | Location: Biggest Little City in the World | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Not doubting you at all but it surprises me that a bullet would penetrate that and leave such a perfect hole.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a great find if that's what it is. I'm wondering if the rock might have formed with some iron or other salt water soluble inclusion that subsequently rusted/dissolved out.

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest another idea -

Hitler made a serious effort in the construction of his Atlantic Wall.
All kinds of construction, bunkers, gun emplacements of all sizes, barbed wire entanglements, etc.
This might be a part of that wall, having been drilled with some kind of rock drill, to hold fencing or some barrier in place. Having the same hills/coast bombarded and bombed by the Allies, pieces of the wall were obviously destroyed. Bits and pieces flew everywhere. Yours might be such a piece.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I doubt that rock was penetrated by a bullet, it would either have ricochet off or shattered/cracked it.

That appears to be drilled to me, could it have been something that was manmade?

I did a Google search and there’s something called Hag Stones which are stones with naturally occurring perfectly round holes in them and found only in a few places in the world with Normandy being one of them.

Hag Stone

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Weight for a net. Drilled and tied to the bottom edge of a net. Floats on the top edge.

Cheap local ballast.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
What weapon would that even have come from? The German Mausers used 7.92mm bullets. Our M1 Garands used 7.62mm (30.06).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Weight for a net. Drilled and tied to the bottom edge of a net. Floats on the top edge.

Cheap local ballast.

I'm with Mike here.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
As many rounds that were fired on that beach I don’t think it is outside the realm of possibility that the rock could have been shot with a bullet. If it were drilled would it have that crater on both sides? I suppose it could if it were used as a weight or something but there are probably a few rocks that managed to end up with bullet holes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Why do I feel like I'm watching Pawn Stars...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Old Vark WSO
posted Hide Post
Okay - it does look like the fishing net weights in the above photos. I was never 100% convinced it was a bullet hole, but - I did pick it up on Omaha Beach. And realizing I mixed up the dates - it was over 30 years ago. Just something I hung on to and wanted to share.

If you ever get a chance to go to that part of France, there are a lot of historical things to see from the war - and earlier (my wife convinced me we should go see the Bayeux Tapestry - it worth the effort).

OVW

Posts: 77 | Location: Biggest Little City in the World | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Easily distracted by shiny things
with round holes in them. Big Grin

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Vark WSO:
Okay - it does look like the fishing net weights in the above photos. I was never 100% convinced it was a bullet hole, but - I did pick it up on Omaha Beach. And realizing I mixed up the dates - it was over 30 years ago. Just something I hung on to and wanted to share.

If you ever get a chance to go to that part of France, there are a lot of historical things to see from the war - and earlier (my wife convinced me we should go see the Bayeux Tapestry - it worth the effort).

OVW

It's all in good fun, hope you know that, love to go to France and Normandy, Omaha, it's a bucket list thing.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
That is a cool find. The location you found it makes it even better.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Dual use, net weight and peep site to look through at the Germans without exposing your face. Wink

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
It’s still part of THAT beach.

Cool find.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed your post. Thanks for sharing.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
That was one of thousands used by the Allies for their ships. So, it really was part of D-Day. Razz

Q

Posts: 26399 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post