SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Moving from Los Angeles to Nashville area
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving from Los Angeles to Nashville area Login/Join 
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted
Wife and I decided we're making the jump from LA to Nashville.

I'm giddy with excitement. Been in Los Angeles for 25 years and watched it turn from a wonderful, livable city into a hellscape.

It's going to be quite an adventure.

And before anyone comments, We will bring NO California values into the wonderful state that is Tennessee.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Nashville has boomed for nearly a decade. But i can see where its probably relatively cheaper than living in LA.

Posts: 11159 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Congrats on getting out there. Have you scoped out Nashville yet?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
We know 30 or so folks who have made the jump. (Wife is on the music side of the business). So we have somewhat of an idea where to look.

I’ve never been, so we’re planing a trip.

Compared to L.A. it’s a bargain.

We need more space. Rents in decent areas here are 4K and up for a two bedroom. House rentals start at 5K. It’s unsustainable.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I guy I did a few jobs with way back when moved his wife and 7 kids from Los Angeles to Tennessee around 7 or 8 years ago. He did it to protect his kids from all that was going on in California.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I do a lot of work in Nashville and really like it. If I were moving there I would live in Franklin or out on the west side, depending on commute or if you have to travel. I also like the area between Green Hills and the Franklin Pike parallel to 440. Brookhaven Estates, Duncan Wood, Oak Hill, etc.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile, but we lived in Hendersonville (second peninsula, Which you will figure what that means if you search that area) and worked in White House, about 15 or so miles away. Also a good place. I'm sure the area has changed in the 25 some years since I lived there, but still have friends there. Great city and place to live.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Heard this from a very famous New York City big time entertainment attorney, once enjoying the fresh air of the Colorado Rocky Mountains near the continental divide at about 9000+ feet while sucking down a coffin nail.

Paul: “Paraphrasing Johnny Carson, I just don’t trust air that I can’t see.”

Big dragggggg … inhales … slowly expels a massive plum of blue-white tomacco smoke into the great wild blue yonder.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the move. If you have school age children, Mount Juliet area has excellent schools. About 30 minutes outside Nashville. Franklin is also nice.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Congrats. We know 3 families that moved from CA to TN. They like the four seasons.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I grew up in that area. Head to Mellow Mushroom for some pizza and beer to celebrate.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Unless you have a reason to be in metro Nashville/Davidson county, look at the suburbs. Franklin (South) is very nice, but getting expensive. Mt. Juliet (NE) is good. Murfreesboro is a college town. Columbia (South of Franklin) is a good place and growing.

Good luck.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20320 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
1) Go to Hattie B's
2) Order Chicken quarter (dark meat is betterer)
3) Specify "Shut the Cluck Up" flavor
4) Order your favorite beverage
5) Sit near the beverage refill station
6) Enjoy. Oh, and go straight home right about... now.
7) You're welcome

Congrats on moving up in the world!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Sigalert, you read my mind. Was going to say you’re welcome if you leave Cali-values behind so now I’ll just say ENJOY freedom! I’m between Knoxville and Chattanooga.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Local here, congrats on the move! We vet newcomers from California HARD. Don't be put off by it, we're just watching our beloved area turn blue and we REALLY don't like it. Also our property taxes have gone ballistic since all the Cali people think $700,000-$800,000 for a 3,000 sq ft house is a "deal".

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:

I'm giddy with excitement. Been in Los Angeles for 25 years and watched it turn from a wonderful, livable city into a hellscape.

Congrat sigalert. Tennessee is a great place to live. Your cost of living will go way down.

If you ever get a little home sick and don't like the idea of traveling back to LA, just take an easy 3.5 hour drive down to "hellscape" Memphis. It should quickly give you FLASHBACKS memories of what LA was like.Big Grin

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome.

Posts: 987 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I love Tennessee. Country ham with red eye gravy.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come on in, the water is fine in Tennessee! Born and raised in TN from Memphis to Lafayette, Jackson, Nashville, Brentwood and Tullahoma.

Nashville isn't the same city it was when we lived there but, nothing else is either. Welcome!

Posts: 2 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 08, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post