SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    C5 and C6 vertebrae compression, neck pain. Anyone have experience?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

C5 and C6 vertebrae compression, neck pain. Anyone have experience? Login/Join 
posted
So about three weeks ago I woke up with pain in my neck and left shoulder. A couple days in, it woke me up at night and so I went to the doctor who gave me some muscle relaxers and Ibuprofen after diagnosing as a muscle strain with spasms. A week later, no real improvement so she tells me to get an x-ray which shows compression between my C5 and C6, not major, I don't need surgery, but enough to probably cause the pain in my shoulder. Over the last week my neck pain has improved, but my left arm is significantly weaker than normal. So my question before racking up another doctor bill is, is this par for the course with vertebrae compression? I've got a PT appointment next Tuesday, but google tells me everything from pulled muscle to my arm is going to fall off in my sleep. Appreciate any insight in advance.

TS

Posts: 859 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Had something similar. Eventually went down the arm. I think the biggest help was just time. I did the PT but I think it was just arthritis had irritated the nerves severely and it took months to heal. I still have minor pains but nothing like it was. Nerve pain is weird and extreme. Actually made knots in muscles.

I did have the MRI that gave the ortho the complete picture of the issues.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it would help compression but you might try a tens unit (google it; sold over the counter and is in the $100 or so range). It is an electronic stimulation device. You select the time (say 20 or thirty minutes, the mode (say Swedish massage) and the intensity. Controller is smaller than a cell phone and can go into your shirt pocket.

Posts: 102 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: September 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I have the same to C5, 6 and 7. It's never completely gone away , but PT , meds and the right exercises help.
Sorry to hear about it.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. It seems time is the biggest factor here. I'm 36 so I'm hoping it isn't arthritis. I've been working from home the last year, stuck at my computer for 12 hours a day. Fucking tech neck is what my colleague calls it. In any event, it blows.

TS

Posts: 859 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
My wife is going for surgery on April 12 for the C5-C6 and potentially the C7. This will be her second spine surgery.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
You’ve got a doctor and the two of you know what the images reveal and what you’re experiencing. It might seem an irrelevant distinction, but you don’t have “vertebrae compression,” you’ve got spinal cord compression. I had extensive C-spine decompression surgery 8 months ago. Funny thing is, I experienced none of the symptoms that typically drives a person to see a neurosurgeon—-no tingling, no numbness, unsteady gait, no loss of strength on one side of my body. Traumatic injury and family history led me to a surgical solution. Sounds like you’re ok for now, but don’t ignore further signs and symptoms. It’s harder to reverse peripheral nerve degeneration than it is to preserve it.
T

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I know a real good neck/spine surgeon in the San Diego area if you need a second opinion.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
I know a real good neck/spine surgeon in the San Diego area if you need a second opinion.

Who would that be.
Ive been opened, neck from c1 - t2 with 4 titanium straps and cadaver bones fused.
Now my lower disc are plaguing me. My previous doc was Dr Garfin but he is now out of my insurance group.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Dr. Daniel Barba MD,(760) 743-4789 he is in Escondido.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
My e-mail is in my profile. I have experience with this as a patient and can help you steer through the maze of tests and surgical options from a patient’s point of view.

Posts: 4501 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
A better computer chair helped me after the fact with the mild recurrences. I could tell a difference sitting in one with a hard bottom that the cushion had compacted vs one with nice new supportive foam. I also had to make it a point to get up and walk around more.

I don't know exactly why or how given it was my neck where the nerves branch out.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A lifetime of bad posture (tall, always looking down) and a tractor accident where I flew up and hit the roof did me in a few years ago. Strangest thing, I got a mild concussion but my neck didn't hurt for weeks. Then one day I couldn't stand up. Even stranger, it hurt like crazy if I DIDN'T move every five or ten minutes. Which meant I any sleep I got came in 5 minute intervals, which probably totaled about 2 hours in the three days before I could get to a doctor. Laying on the floor at 3am crying, wondering if there was a way I could cut my arm off and not bleed to death. lol I wouldn't say I was thinking about killing myself, but I had certainly reached the point where I understood why someone would.

The doctors gave me steroids, goodly doses of ibuprofen and muscle relaxers. That knocked the unbearable pain down. I bought an at home cervical traction thingamabob and used it daily, sometimes twice, for a couple weeks until the pain was gone. I get an occasional flair up and doing the traction again usually takes care of it. Sometimes if I let it get real bad I'll see the doctor again and they're put me on a course of steroids.

It never goes away, at least for me. At the time I lost use of pretty much 3 fingers and feeling in 2 for a couple months. I have a constant shake in my left hand and my fingers cramp up in all odd shapes if I get even slightly dehydrated.(that has improved, used to do it all day long for no reason) That arm is a little atrophied, smaller than it was. If I bump my head on something it's like I've been hit with lightening, a zap down my spine that almost puts me on the ground. So I'm careful, do the cervical traction when I need to. I don't want surgery if I can help it.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
Dr. Daniel Barba MD,(760) 743-4789 he is in Escondido.

Thank You so much. If this keeps aggravating me I'm going to have to make some
calls. I just don't want to be opened up like my back neck. Would hope for orthoscopic.
Again thanks Blueye.

Irv (RB)

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
A better computer chair helped me after the fact with the mild recurrences. I could tell a difference sitting in one with a hard bottom that the cushion had compacted vs one with nice new supportive foam. I also had to make it a point to get up and walk around more.

I don't know exactly why or how given it was my neck where the nerves branch out.

I snagged my Knoll chair from the office, and that's helped a lot in addition to getting up and moving more. My neck seems to be getting slowly better, but I'm mostly concerned about the decreased strength in my left arm. No joke, it's noticeable reaching into a cabinet for a mug, washing my hair, turning my steering wheel, my left arm feels immediately fatigued and heavy, not ideal with a five year old and six month old jamming around.

I really appreciate all the responses so far; I may go back to my doctor if things don't improve after PT this week.

TS

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My right arm was significantly weaker too. It took about 3-4 months until it was normal again. Hope yours gets better with the conservative approach. I was shakey just pouring coffee. I had to use my left arm to lift my right while I was shaving.

I also wore a soft neck collar while sleeping and had to mentally train myself not to use my neck to lift my whole body shifting positions when I slept. That is once I was able to sleep again. The early pain was pretty intense.

Oh yeah - ice packs at the base of my neck helped some too. Usually an hour before bed.

posted Hide Post
This is common on persons who work on the computer all day, also for tall persons.

If your posture was perfect, the center of your ear would line up with the center of the shoulders and center of the hips and the ankles. There is an old fashioned exercise that reverses this, both the pain the bad habit.

1. Stand with your back against the wall, shoulder blades against the wall as well the buttocks.
2. Keeping your head level, push the head straight back, ideally to where the ear canal lines up with the center of the shoulder.
3. Hold this position for five minutes, and do this twice per day.

After a few weeks the posture becomes normal. You can do this as often you have time for, or as long as you wish. For most persons the back of the head will be touching the wall, but if your torso is big, the head does not have to go back that far.

Most persons make the mistake of tilting the head up so they can touch the wall. Avoid that, just go straight back as far as is comfortable. Each time you do it, you will go farther back.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I had surgery on C5-C6 (ACF with Fusion) and a titanium plate. My spinal cord was severely compressed by bone then “jelly” from the disk, but at that level you also have large nerve bundles that branch for the arms / shoulders. My pain level in my shoulders - which I had become “comfortable” with - dropped immensely after the surgery. Grip weakness and loss of precision was what hit me, still get occasional bilateral numbness (tingling) in hands (draw a line from Index finger to wrist).

Work with your doctor, do your therapy religiously. I have to continually train/“rehab” to keep strength - Nerve stuff is weird, but not something to mess about with.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I went thru the whole business short of surgery.
I wound up going the chiropractic route.
That was about 40 years ago and am still fine.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post