SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago officers caught on video pulling man from icy waters of Lake Michigan
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago officers caught on video pulling man from icy waters of Lake Michigan Login/Join 
posted
CHICAGO — A video released by the Chicago Police Department Sunday shows officers jumping into action to pull a man from the icy waters of Lake Michigan Saturday morning.

There are barriers warning people that the lakefront trails are closed because of the icy conditions, but they’re not enough to keep people away from the lakefront — or out of the water.

Surveillance video captured the scene just before 7 a.m. Saturday, as the temperature was in the teens but the wind chill made it feel like five degrees. An unnamed 22-year-old can be seen walking on the lakefront trail downtown, falling once on the ice before getting up and continuing on his way.

Moving close to the ledge, he continues on his way down the lakeshore path until he moves out of view. Suddenly, a jogger seems to see him slip and splash into the icy water.

The jogger heads to Lake Shore Drive and frantically tries to flag down cars as they pass by, but when no one stops, they hop the barrier and run for help. The man struggles in the frigid water, keeping his head above the water as his hands slip on the surface of the shoreline.

Then, two chicago police SWAT officers in navy blue sprint straight across the snow, toss their protective vests aside and without hesitation stretch headfirst above the icy waters to pull the man to safety.

Other first responders rushed in with rescue equipment, and blankets, before taking the man to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in critical condition.

Annie Reef frequently jogs along the lakefront, and said she thinks about how it's possible to fall into the water every time she goes on a run.

“I mean, you slip all the time, and you just hope nothing bad happens, I mean it’s great they were able to come so quickly," Reef said.

The whole rescue took less than 10 minutes. The identity of the man who fell in the water has not been made public, but the heroic officers plan to speak with reporters later this week.

LINK: https://wgntv.com/2020/02/16/c...rs-of-lake-michigan/

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Good guys right there!

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Well done. Chicago has some of the best LEOs in the world.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6417 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Soooo basically, Chicago PD violently prevent a law abiding citizen for getting some badly needed exercise when swimming in a local lake. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Soooo basically, Chicago PD violently prevent a law abiding citizen for getting some badly needed exercise when swimming in a local lake. Wink
. That’s the stupidest fucking comment I’ve seen on this forum in a couple of years.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
quote:
. That’s the stupidest fucking comment I’ve seen on this forum in a couple of years.

I guess the wink didn’t come through...

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Missed the Wink, eh?

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:
quote:

Missed the Wink, eh?
. No I saw the wink , that didn’t lessen the level of stupid.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Missed the Wink, eh?

I thought it rather funny. Oh and good job Chicago PD!!!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Missed the Wink, eh?

Dude. You need coffee. Or sleep. If somebody needs to actually explain this comment to you, you’re in the wrong thread.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15601 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Since this thread is becoming about touching sensitivities, how about this observation:

The video shows the presence of numerous emergency responders who are running back and forth, evidently conferring about what to do, getting suited up for various scenarios (a couple guys have dive tanks on, presumably to recover the body after the victim drowns—?), but what do the police officers do? Run down and pull the victim out of the water. This is not the first time I have seen such different mindsets at work.

As for the inevitable posts about, “We need to protect ourselves first,” I understand all that, but in this situation? If I ever need rescuing right now, I hope that people like those LEOs are around. Good on them.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Citizen sees man in water and calls police, police pull him out. What the hell is newsworthy? Was there any way this deviates from anyone's expectations?

Posts: 7461 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The walker was lucky. Fifteen minutes in water like that, and it begins to feel warm ... then you peacefully slip under ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are barriers warning people that the lakefront trails are closed because of the icy conditions, but they’re not enough to keep people away from the lakefront — or out of the water.

Maybe a Darwin candidate? I sometimes suspect that signs and barriers attract them.

quote:
That’s the stupidest fucking comment I’ve seen on this forum in a couple of years.

Really??? You need to read the forum more on Sunday's.

edited: still learning to use the quotes and stuff.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The news reporting companies are in the business of reporting information of interest to their viewers and readers: that is how they make their money. There are countless stories, however, that don’t interest everyone. I don’t really care which dog became the all time grand champion winner of some contest, but that doesn’t mean that no one cares. Some people are very interested in such stories. And this is one that is of interest to others of us. I’m glad I got to see the video with its reminders of some important things to know, such as don’t walk on the ice next to open water.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Three takeaways from this video....

1. People are dumber than most think
2. Great teamwork from dispatch (camera), CPD SWAT, and CFD
3. Lake Michigan will kill you if you're stupid

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37986 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Missed the Wink, eh?

Lighten up, Francis.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

That’s the funniest fucking comment I’ve seen on this forum in a couple of years.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

That’s the funniest fucking comment I’ve seen on this forum in a couple of years.

Big Grin

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7657 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post