SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago officers caught on video pulling man from icy waters of Lake Michigan
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago officers caught on video pulling man from icy waters of Lake Michigan Login/Join 
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Soooo basically, Chicago PD violently prevent a law abiding citizen for getting some badly needed exercise when swimming in a local lake. Wink
. That’s the stupidest fucking comment I’ve seen on this forum in a couple of years.

What's even more stupid is the fact that you're so uptight that you think the comment was stupid.

Posts: 8275 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
The walker was lucky. Fifteen minutes in water like that, and it begins to feel warm ... then you peacefully slip under ...

Had he been “lucky,” he would have not fallen in the water, just like everyone else who didn’t. Wink

But you’re right about how he was in deadly danger. The video doesn’t show all the time lapses, but how long was he in before the jogger came by? How long did it take for the jogger to finally call for help (strange in this day and age he didn’t have a cell phone—?); how long did it take for the responders to arrive; how long was it before someone with enough sense to get him out of the water immediately arrived? If he had lost consciousness and slipped under, that would have been the end of him even if it had happened right in front of the people standing around watching.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47679 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Since this thread is becoming about touching sensitivities, how about this observation:

The video shows the presence of numerous emergency responders who are running back and forth, evidently conferring about what to do, getting suited up for various scenarios (a couple guys have dive tanks on, presumably to recover the body after the victim drowns—?), but what do the police officers do? Run down and pull the victim out of the water. This is not the first time I have seen such different mindsets at work.

As for the inevitable posts about, “We need to protect ourselves first,” I understand all that, but in this situation? If I ever need rescuing right now, I hope that people like those LEOs are around. Good on them.

Wasnt it last week that a firefighter was suspended for rescuing a woman . Found it https://tinyurl.com/rr6g8fb. The officers in this instance wouldnt be held to the same protocal as the firefighters. Good on the cops for stepping in. And to your question "in this instance" Ill ask why this one and not some other one? Where do you draw the line?

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Soooo basically, Chicago PD violently prevent a law abiding citizen for getting some badly needed exercise when swimming in a local lake. Wink
Good thing he didn't have his dog with him ...
Big Grin

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16634 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

That’s the funniest fucking comment I’ve seen on this forum in a couple of years.

Looks like there should have been several winks to get your attention. Big Grin

Posts: 11893 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I have heard on good authority that the video was played backwards....the original video shows the officers throwing the guy in the lake. Wink Wink Big Grin Big Grin

All kidding aside, good job officers!

Posts: 4054 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
Missed the Wink, eh?
. No I saw the wink , that didn’t lessen the level of stupid.[/QUOTE]

^^^^
THAT you ARE right about.

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post