SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who Here Likes Rice Pudding?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Here Likes Rice Pudding? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
The Aldi thread had me thinking about and craving German rice pudding, known as "Milchreis" or Milk Rice which is very creamy and not too sweet.

I've made American rice pudding recipes before and they always seem to be a disappointment, most of of them seem to be a baked type which comes out dry and heavy and not very creamy. The German style has you boiling the milk and rice then simmering low and stirring constantly until it's thick and creamy, a good 30 minutes or so. No eggs in it either.

The Milchreis recipe I looked up called for short grain rice, and I only had long grain rice and Arborio (risotto) rice in the cupboard so I decided to try the Arborio rice and it came out pretty damn good! Next time I'll use more milk (recipe called for 1 cup rice and 4 cups milk/cream) and a little less rice as it was thicker than I recallled and the rice was a little al dente.

Any rice pudding fans here?

Posts: 33902 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to make it in boy scouts. Loved the stuff.

I wonder how it would turn out in my uber cool David Troung recomended rice cooker.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
My wife LOVES Rice Pudding. She likes it creamy, the way her Italian mother made it.
There's a little Mom & Pop take out place about a mile from my house that makes it just the way she likes it.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16541 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
PASig, can you please post the recipe you used?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I love rice pudding! Unfortunately the rest of the family does not. I wait to visit my mom for some.

Posts: 5702 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
This is the recipe I usually make, but I leave out the raisins. This usually doesn't last long enough to cool down.

Ingredients
3/4 cup uncooked white rice
2 cups milk, divided
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup golden raisins
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; stir rice into boiling water. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.

In a clean saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten egg, and raisins; cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who Here Likes Rice Pudding?

Not me.

My buddy from Singapore took me to Houston's Chinatown because he was convinced I would like as well his favorite place for rice pudding. I had an open mind, tried several varieties, and still do not like.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23347 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love rice pudding, but I have to admit that I've never made it. I usually buy it at the store or, when available, as dessert at a restaurant.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just had some for lunch

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54725 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I love it. No raisins though. My wife does not. So, guess who doesn't get to eat it?

Posts: 1981 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the crappy pictures guys. I'm at work and work computers won't let me send this to me and I have to use cell phone pic of screen for this recipe. Any ways this is from John a FFD that I worked with that was taken to soon. Simple but good. You can halve the recipe if you like. Also he would some times add a hole unpeeled orange during the boiling and simmering phase for flavor

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1143 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Oh man, I'd forgotten all about that!

My Great Aunt used to make it when I was just a little shaver, LOVE it.

Thanks for the recipe, I'll be making a batch soon!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15283 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Being married to a German woman for nearly 59 years, and having spent 12 years in Germany, I can safely say that I have eaten a lot of "milk rice". And enjoyed all of it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to kheer myself. It's Indian rice pudding. It's on the milky side of the spectrum, but it's tasty as heck!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7.../kheer-rice-pudding/

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I like rice pudding, my favorite dessert, or snack.

With raisins , without raisins, I don't care!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
PASig, can you please post the recipe you used?

Jawhohl!

Milchreis - German Rice Pudding

Posts: 33902 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the stuff but have to go out to get it. Don't cook!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
When I was a little kid my parents were fairly poor. My mother used to make a rice porridge with cooked rice, brown sugar, vanilla, butter and a little milk. It was a cheap meal that we kids used to love. In fact, I still make it for myself occasionally. The Jr DFs make it for themselves too. They call it papa's rice. Mrs DF would make her variation of it but since the brown sugar was in the pantry she used white sugar. The Jr DFs didn't like mama's rice as much, but it would do in a pinch. Papa's rice tastes a lot like rice pudding. In my misspent youth I had a Finnish girlfriend. The relationship was short lived, but I learned to make Riisipuuro from her. It is like rice pudding but richer and not as sweet. She saw me making Papa's rice (before it was known as papa's rice) and stepped in to make Riisipuuro. I like riisipuuro more, but it takes forever to make.

Anyway, yes, I like rice pudding, but only have patience for Papa's rice. Smile

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29736 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Without raisins please. But given a choice between creamy rice pudding and tapioca pudding, I prefer the later. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16263 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother used to make great rice pudding. I loved it. She also made great Tapioca pudding.
I married my wife now after my mother was dead.
She never got my moms rice pudding recipe but she makes tapioca like my mom thank the Lord.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post