SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snowblower Recommendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snowblower Recommendations Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I've managed to talk the financial manager (aka wife) into letting me buy a snowblower this year, I had to go to the "you don't want me dying of a heart attack while shoveling, right?" line Big Grin

My neighbor and FIL both have Honda snowblowers with the tracks instead of wheels and both love them.

Is Honda the way to go?

I do not have a driveway, what I'd be using this for is sidewalks and then blowing the mountains of snow we create between cars when we excavate them (we are street-only parking). I've seen my neighbor blow through a snow pile in no time with his and he shoots it right back onto his lawn or anywhere else but the street so we can actually park our cars.

What does the Forum like?

Posts: 34539 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to decide whether you need a single stage or a two-stage.

Two stage handles wet heavy snow and deep snow better.

In my opinion single stages clean to the ground better, and mine sees more use than if I had a two stage because I use it for light snow and big snows. when I had a two-stage I would only get it out when we had big snows and shovel the rest of the time.

For a single stage I highly recommend Toro. I have an older two stroke model but I don't know if they make any more but if you can find a used one they're great albeit loud.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...800010544#4800010544
This gets discussed up here regularly in the late fall. Ariens and Honda are good. If you really move mountains, get horsepower and two stage. Craigslist shows used units though this is the wrong time of the year for the best deals. I've seen some real deals from people who didn't use them much and took good care of them. Depends on how much you want to spend. The tracked Hondas get pricey.

Posts: 1504 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Arians 2 stage. It's the Honda of snow blowers.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7275 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
If you've been getting by without a snow blower, odds are you don't need a two-stage beast.

I'm very happy with the Toro SnowMaster we purchased two seasons ago. It's a single-stage that thinks it's a two-stage Smile As Toro puts it:

quote:

Toro's SnowMaster® snowblower has the impressive power of a two-stage to handle the deep, end-of-driveway snow, yet handles like a lightweight, single-stage snowblower. Best of all, it clears snow clean down to the pavement.

Check the YouTube videos.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
You need to decide whether you need a single stage or a two-stage.

I think I need a two-stage.

Shoveling some powder off the sidewalks and rear walkway is no biggie.

What I need is something to dig through the 12-18 inches of hard, wet snow the plows that come down our street always seem to leave right up against our cars. We are on the right side of a one-way street and the plow trucks must have the plow canted to the right as I'll come out and the cars on the other side of the street will have no snow up against them, and ours will be buried halfway up the doors sometimes. Frown

Posts: 34539 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

This.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Ah, well then: I retract my earlier assertion. Yup, sounds like a job for a two stage. The SnowMaster is pretty good at end-of-driveway stuff, but a two stage would probably be better.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
We get our share here in Michigan. I have been using a tractor and plow for years. Three years ago I bought an Ariens 28” deluxe, 2 stage. We have been hit with quite a bit of snow. This blower just walked through it. Maybe you need the narrower version. This seems to be the best one around. You might not need one this big, I clear a 125 foot driveway and side walks with. Any one is better than shoveling. Good luck.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
My Toro 2-stage is a beast. It starts every year and powers through all of the heavy wet snow. It weighs over 200lbs so plan on building a substantial ramp if keeping it in a shed.

Look for a nearby Toro dealer instead of a big box retailer. I got mine from a Toro dealer when it was very clear the same model at the big box store had been cheapened with a smaller impeller, smaller gearbox, and smaller tires, etc.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2599 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've never had a Honda snowblower but I'm sure they're great. I'm also sure they're not twice as good as my Ariens but they're easily twice the cost. Buffalo winters succumb to Ariens snowblowers.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The biggest one Ariens makes. Can't go wrong.
Heavy duty, long lasting.

(i sold mine to a good friend when we moved to AZ from CT)

Posts: 1690 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Here is the Consumer Reports snip for both Single & Two Stage Blowers:

Posts: 3815 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I have shoveled my driveway for years by hand. Last year was a doozy of a winter here. After 1 particularly large snowfall I waived the white flag and bought a Simplicity 2 stage 27". I still do the small stuff by hand but this really is nice for the end of the driveway and larger snowfalls.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1788 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toro and Ariens have been doing this a long time. There's really no reason to look beyond those two brands.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Mine:

Also mine:

Smile

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Toro and Ariens have been doing this a long time. There's really no reason to look beyond those two brands.

^^^ I have a two-stage Ariens, but the big Toros are great too. The local ACe hardware stocks a large inventory of Ariens parts, so that made the decision for me.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Why take chances? Eek

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Honda HS 1132 TAS. It's what I have; living in Northern Minnesota it is a necessity.

This is like a snow cannon. Easily throws snow 50+ feet. I don't have to throw snow to each side of the driveway-it will easily throw the snow clear of the entire width of my 40' wide driveway, so I can pile it all on one side if I choose to. One of the best parts is with the heavy, slushy snow it still throws it 25-30 feet, instead of the weak dribble I see other snowblowers doing in the same conditions.

Buy quality, cry once.

Posts: 3005 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

+1. Ariens fan here as well. Take care of it as far as off season storage and tuneups and it will take care of you.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7517 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post