SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need to buy a trimmer - Updated: Help? Broken already?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to buy a trimmer - Updated: Help? Broken already? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I need to buy a weed wacker. I'd like to buy a battery powered one - corded is a hassle probably won't reach all areas, gas is kind of a pain for maintenance (had one before).

Any thoughts on this one? I have 2 small drill size M18 batteries. Do I need a big one (they are expensive)? I could probably only do about 30-60 min at a time before getting tired....

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/...ing-Trimmers/2725-20

Dewalt has something similar. Thinking of sticking w/ M18 unless Dewalt for some reason is better.

Other recommendations?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
https://egopowerplus.com/power-string-trimmers/

Ego has well made products, batteries last quite a while and they have plenty of power. I have the trimmer, blower, also bought the edger with detachable ends, picked up the pole saw and hedge trimmer with extension...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of battery powered Dewalt tools and love them a lot. That said I bought one of the EGo blowers from Home depot. Its 56 volt. They no longer sell them but Lowes does and maybe Ace. I really like that blower and am thinking about buying one of the trimmers to replace my Craftsman LP fueled trimmer.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Ego stuff. I have the trimmer and blower. Great products and power.
Will be purchasing the chainsaw this year.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25425 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. So, seems like some love for Ego. Is Ego sufficiently better than the M18 version to justify a new battery / charger set? Better weed wacker to ignore compatibility with existing M18 batteries I have? Or, comparable and may make sense to just stick w/ the M18 version?

Looking at the Ego offers - trying to determine which one is applicable for my situation.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That looks literally exactly like my Cobalt but red instead of blue. Does one manufacturer make all these and they just re-brand them?

I’m really impressed with the one I have, and has really good power, it doesn’t last long but I have three batteries so I just swap them out when it starts to lose juice. I’d say a good 15 minute run time per battery.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
They sounds pretty good. I think I've narrowed down to this model.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-P...-Included/5000200343

HOWEVER, seems like this is a PRC company and trying to intentionally obfuscate. If so, this gives me pause. I know the M18 has been bought by a PRC company, which also gives me pause, so, I'm in a no-win situation. Not sure which way to go....

http://global.chervongroup.com/en/who-we-are

Any chance anyone has used both M18 and Ego weed wackers? Any tie breaking opinions considering I already have (small) M18 batteries?

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've had an M18 trimmer for a couple years and it's been great. My favorite thing about it is that my wife can use it and doesn't mind doing so.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I have the Milwaukee string trimmer you asked about initially. I love it, and I have no complaints. I have a small yard (~1/4 acre), and I could probably trim my yard most of the summer if I didn't use the battery for other tools too (I have the 9 AH battery, not sure how it would do with smaller batteries).

I know the Ego tools are highly regarded, but if you already have other Milwaukee tools I can't see any reason to switch to another battery ecosystem.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
My one and only battery trimmer was not a good experance went back to echo gas. Hot summer days seems to be a problem with some. Mine was not a M18. Thermal overload seems to be an issue with some battery trimmers. Swath width, line diameter, ambient temperature, and run time all play a roll with this issue. There is reason why many battery trimmers run a reduced Swath width and line diameter compared to better gas trimmers.

I would suggest you watch this youtube and read the commets on this Milwaukee string trimmer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E99AWAJPBnY

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Have both the Ego push mower and the Ego string trimmer and love them both ... so much that I am saving up my dollars for the Ego chainsaw. Another plus I like is that all the Ego batteries, no matter the size, will swap back and forth between all the Ego tools.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Another vote for the Ego stuff. I have the trimmer and blower. Great products and power.
Will be purchasing the chainsaw this year.

Also vote for Ego. Trimmer, blower , hedge trimmer and chai saw here. All work very well , the trimmer and chainsaw seem as powerful as gas powered

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I know that M18 can be good but: 1) why so, so many bad reviews (esp regarding thermal interlock), 2) 9AHr battery and only 10m of use vs the same 10m of use of the Ego w/ a 2.5AHr battery (4x bigger battery to do the same amount of work)?

I wanted to stay w/ a single battery system. I want to avoid a PRC company (actually, in this case, the two front runners are both PRC companies), but seems like Ego is the way to go here.

Looks like I'll be trying the Ego.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Final question: Should I get the new model w/ the line autoload feature? Or the older model with the combo weed wacker & blower? I could use a blower too.

I'm leaning toward the newer wacker model and getting the stronger blower (ie - not getting the combo deal although not a bad price). $400 for best of each vs $280 for combo deal....

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I know that M18 can be good but: 1) why so, so many bad reviews (esp regarding thermal interlock), 2) 9AHr battery and only 10m of use vs the same 10m of use of the Ego w/ a 2.5AHr battery (4x bigger battery to do the same amount of work)?

I wanted to stay w/ a single battery system. I want to avoid a PRC company (actually, in this case, the two front runners are both PRC companies), but seems like Ego is the way to go here.

Looks like I'll be trying the Ego.

Ego uses 56 volt batteries.

56 V * 2.5 Ah = 140 watt-hours

18 V * 9 Ah = 162 watt-hours

The actual power capacities of the two batteries are pretty similar.

The Milwaukee M18 9 Ah batteries have fifteen 3.6V, 3Ah cells in them.

The Ego 56V 2.5 Ah batteries have fifteen 3.6V, 2.5Ah cells in them.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Loading the previous model isn't difficult and for the money, the ego 56V blower is a hoss teamed up with it you have a good start.

I"ve nothing against or bad to say on the Milwaukee, just like you wanted one battery platform for the yard tools, the hand tools use a different set, which is fine.

Neighbor bought the self propelled EGO mower and it's quiet and does a good job, he took the Kobalt back and Lowes gave him a trade to the EGO. Has the edger/trimmer, blower as well..

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both the Milwaukee trimmer you linked to, as well as this one...

Qwik attach trimmer

The have both been solid runner machines for the past few years. I like the second version better as I also purchased the hedge trimmer attachment and extension. Now I can keep my wall of arborvitaes at about 10' height without having to break out ladders and scaffolding. I can do it all the trimming while standing on the ground.

I usually just throw a 9.0a battery in there, as that is what I have the most of. But I have also trimmed up everything I needed to on my 1.5 acre parcel with just a 5.0a battery installed, and it didn't even go below half charge.

Loading string onto the new (qwik lock) version is also a lot easier than the first version Milwaukee, or any of the other trimmers I have had in the past.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Posts: 309 | Location: Clackamas, OR | Registered: January 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ok. Bought the ego with extra 2.5 battery and trim line. Hope this shit lasts

Thanks for the help guys.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
When you get the handheld blower you will want the 5ah battery. It is a battery hog.
Though honestly it is not a leaf blower. It does great after you’ve done trimming and mowing also does well drying off the car after a wash.
It does decently blowing a driveway and sidewalks after a very fluffy snow but and snow with weight or ice not so much.
As for leaf blowing I have 23 Premier Pears lining my backyard. They are a heavy waxy leaf and tend to fall late and it is usually wet.
The handheld blower is on turbo the whole time to move them and the 2.5ah battery lasts all of 10 minutes.
I may give the backpack blower a try but that is big money to only use once a year.
Currently I just do the leaves in 2 or 3 days with the handheld.

Make sure you go online and register them as soon as you get them so you don’t forget and save the receipt.
You must register each item with Ego for the warranty to be valid. Not the case with Milwaukee.

Don’t feel bad I have multiple battery families too.

56v Ego
18v Ryobi
12v Milwaukee

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25425 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Ok. Bought the ego with extra 2.5 battery and trim line. Hope this shit lasts

Thanks for the help guys.

I have 2 acres, and while I usually trim with Round-up, I have never needed to go to the 2nd battery with the trimmer (have have 2x 2.5Ah & 1 5Ah).
Ego makes solid products w/o a lot of bullshit. I have evangelized them here before, but I would have advised you to buy the Milwaukee just because you already had batteries.

I attacked this
2021-03-30_08-45-10 by
With the Ego blower, a Stihl gas blower & the Worx trivac. I ended up using the zero turn to blow & chop them off the patio & then the blowers & vac to spread the litter off the grass. Well, I did blow/vac everything that didn't burn from the exhaust catching a pile on fire...
Some things you just need 20HP to accomplish & you're not getting that in a hand-held.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post