SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need to buy a trimmer - Updated: Help? Broken already?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to buy a trimmer - Updated: Help? Broken already? Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

Ego uses 56 volt batteries.

56 V * 2.5 Ah = 140 watt-hours

18 V * 9 Ah = 162 watt-hours

The actual power capacities of the two batteries are pretty similar.

The Milwaukee M18 9 Ah batteries have fifteen 3.6V, 3Ah cells in them.

The Ego 56V 2.5 Ah batteries have fifteen 3.6V, 2.5Ah cells in them.

I’ve read this a few times now. So power capacities are similar but is one better than the other? Or really doesn’t matter?

Power is voltage times current. For the same electrical power output from the battery, the Ego power tools run at three times the voltage and one third the current of the Milwaukee M18 tools (and other 18V/20V tools).

There is a small efficiency advantage to running at higher voltage and lower current, but the lithium cells used in the batteries have gotten so good at supplying large currents that the advantage is minimal.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stihl apparently is under the same prc umbrella corp as Ego. Both under Chervon.
I think you got some bad info there.

https://www.protoolreviews.com...who-owns-them/43632/

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

Ego uses 56 volt batteries.

56 V * 2.5 Ah = 140 watt-hours

18 V * 9 Ah = 162 watt-hours

The actual power capacities of the two batteries are pretty similar.

The Milwaukee M18 9 Ah batteries have fifteen 3.6V, 3Ah cells in them.

The Ego 56V 2.5 Ah batteries have fifteen 3.6V, 2.5Ah cells in them.

I’ve read this a few times now. So power capacities are similar but is one better than the other? Or really doesn’t matter?

The Milwaukee batteries in this example have a slightly higher capacity, although you probably wouldn't notice it in real world use. Either brand's batteries will probably last a long, long time with your use.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
quote:
Stihl apparently is under the same prc umbrella corp as Ego. Both under Chervon.
I think you got some bad info there.

https://www.protoolreviews.com...who-owns-them/43632/

You're right. My bad. I got mixed up between Stihl and Skil.

https://global.chervongroup.co...hat-we-do/our-brands

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:

I sacrificed a charger to make a 12V/5vUSB power bank & I have a 75W inverter that I can put in the cig plug. Handy for power outages.

Have the details on how you did this? Would like to do that myself.

Opened the charger & took the guts out, left the connection to the battery. Bought a 12V buck converter & a 12V plug/USB charger off Amazon. Screwed the converter inside & connected only the + & - wires to the battery connection, The 12V output to the plug & the USB charger. I just dremeled a hole in the side of the charger for the 12v Plug/USB - it had a surface-mount bezel. It doesn't look great, but it works.
I think the buck converter I bought was <$20 & the USB/12V was ~$10. Both are golf cart accecories.

This bypasses any & all safeties not built into the battery & I didn't check if there are even any safeties in the battery (I doubt it). It WILL fully drain & possibly kill a battery, so don't leave it constantly. There's also some parasitic draw, so don't leave a battery hooked up & "ready" to go, or you'll have a bad battery.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post