SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Seeing Changes With Self-Checkouts In Stores?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Seeing Changes With Self-Checkouts In Stores? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I started seeing and hearing reports that stores like Walmart and Target are getting tired of the theft that is apparently happening with self-checkouts and they are making changes at some stores now?

Saw that some stores wont let you scan your own items at the self-checkout anymore, that they actually have employees standing there and grabbing your stuff and scanning it while you stand there? Other stores are getting rid of the self-checkouts and going back to manned checkouts only?

Anyone seeing or hearing this?

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well, my Lowes eliminated 100% of the cashiers at the main checkout area and it's all self checkout.

You can get a cashier at the Pro Desk still...

My Wal- Mart grocery store just upgraded, and in the process more than doubled the self checkout lanes.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess it's not really 'self-checkout' then is it... Wink

Seriously though, self-checkout is alive and well here...And I prefer it that way!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8954 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't get through Meijer self checkout without the clerk coming over a couple of times. Really annoying

Posts: 1408 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, we got 'upgraded' self check at the nearby HEB.
Instead of the '10 items or fewer' the added a 2 lane self check, with a belt for larger purchase qtys, with an employee at the end to bag your stuff while you scan/pay.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^I'd MUCH rather bag it myself and have the employee do the scanning! That doesn't sound like an upgrade to me...Just sayin'

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8954 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Yeah, where I live they also introduced self serve gas.

It's kind of the same thing. self checkout or self serve gas. Having to do what the merchant once did.

I hate both.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10939 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

It's kind of the same thing. self checkout or self serve gas. Having to do what the merchant once did.

I hate both.

I'm 47 and we've pumped our own fuel for as long as I can remember. There is still the occasional mom/pop gas station that has one full service pump, but you pay more per gallon.

I'd rather pump my own fuel and scan my own groceries. I don't need to sit around and chit chat with someone that puts the gallon of milk on top of a loaf of bread.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m seeing more security folks at the Wall Mart I shop at in Huntington Beach. I’m very observant about these things being retired L/E. Just the other day I observed a uniformed guy and a few plainclothes guys, walking a couple from the self checkout stands, into the security office near the checkout stand. They had three bags of stuff with them. I noted a short time later they were perp walking the couple out of the store empty handed.

Posts: 766 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Yes. I routinely use the self check out at the local Walmart. There is always an employee in that area. I'd heard they were instituting additional security measures. One day recently, I was checking out when all of a sudden a video of me appeared on the screen, and indicated I hadn't scanned some item. Some kind of digital algorithm I guess. The employee was somehow alerted, and was right there. Of course I had scanned the item in question, and all was well. But I now know that in addition to the general overhead store surveillance cameras and an employee watching, there is also some sort of video computer brain watching each individual check out station. Interesting.

NRA Life

Posts: 1566 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen anything different about the self-checkout lanes at the stores I frequent-supermarkets and drug stores. Thankfully, they don't seem to be increasing-at least not that I have seen.

I'd like to see them simply disappear, but that looks unlikely.

My wife uses them-I do not. I do not know what I will do if I live long enough that these self checkouts are the only game in town.

Yes, I do, if that's all there is, I'll have to use 'em. Won't like it, grump and grumble about them now, but if there's no choice....

Bob

Posts: 1582 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Maybe they should just call it a "self-checkout bonus". Frown

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a grocery store near me that has NO self checkouts .They have a person watching the front end at all times and if there are three or more people in line they open another register . They hire mostly High School kids and they make service a priority . That's the kind of place I'll support .

Posts: 4070 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I was buying some paint at Home Depot last week and the man watching the self checkouts, an older retired type walks over and I'm not shitting you stood there a foot away from me and watched me like I was going to make a run for it or something with 3 heavy cans of paint? Big Grin

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen anything like that. The personnel and cameras are there, but unobtrusive.

quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
There's a grocery store near me that has NO self checkouts .They have a person watching the front end at all times and if there are three or more people in line they open another register . They hire mostly High School kids and they make service a priority . That's the kind of place I'll support .

Back in my day (1970s), that was a traditional after-school job for teens. I hardly ever see any these days.

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mother still works for a Walmart Grocery Store and loathes the shelf check out when she has to watch it.

All day long every day she catches people right and left stealing. But she can't catch everyone since there are 4 stations to keep a eye on and when people ask her questions or she has to deal with some issue that has to respond to.

They have no plans on getting rid of it even though it's the number one cause of theft. Why you ask? Because the higher ups are stupid and cheap. It's still cheaper to have 4 lanes of potential theft vs having 4 people at a register but they still love to complain about all the stealing.

I told my Mother just get another job or retire all the people who threaten her day after day when they get caught isn't worth her life. To this day she carries a canister of Fox Labs Pepper Spray and a folding knife as a last resort if any moron tries to cross the line and put their hands on her.

Posts: 968 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
I was at a Walmart recently, the employee wouldn't let me begin scanning or start checking out without entering some kind of authorization.

All the local Krogers have modified the carts to stop rolling if there is a somehow detectable item in the cart that was not paid for.

Posts: 2790 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

I hate both.

I've only ever had somebody pump my gas during a brief visit to Oregon, and I didn't like it at all. I think I gassed up twice while I was there, and one of the idiots almost had me drive off without putting my gas cap back on. Thankfully I was watching and called him on it. I don't like other people touching my car, and I don't need anybody's help to pump gas.

We have lots of self-checkout lanes around here. I'm kinda neutral on them. It's sort of a pain for produce because you have to look everything up, but for quick trips for few items it does make everything faster. IMO they ought to have both and use the self-checkout for express lanes.

Posts: 8665 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sse:
All the local Krogers have modified the carts to stop rolling if there is a somehow detectable item in the cart that was not paid for.

Actually, I like that feature. All the self checkouts are designed terribly. You don't have enough room for more than a few bags of items on the bagging side, so you end up scanning some stuff in the cart. I'm always terrified I'm going to miss scanning something by accident.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t think it’s a problem where I live. I hate self check at the Walmart grocery where we go about 2x a week. Usually later in evening both of us.

If I’m by myself I use the checker. I like to talk to them. Whether an older lady or young kid. ( seems the only choices at my Wally)

Or if I’m buying any alcohol self checkout freezes and a runner has to come over and clear it. Using a checker avoids that.

I also live equidistant between Winn Dixie and publix both traditional grocery stores. Neither has a self check that I’m aware of. I for sure know our publix does not.

At lowes/home depot depends what I’m buying. If it’s hardware stuff out of the loose bin somebody has to come lookup I might as well go stand in line. But again I like to chat up the checkers so I prefer that line.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post