SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Seeing Changes With Self-Checkouts In Stores?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Seeing Changes With Self-Checkouts In Stores? Login/Join 
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Meanwhile, we got 'upgraded' self check at the nearby HEB.
Instead of the '10 items or fewer' the added a 2 lane self check, with a belt for larger purchase qtys, with an employee at the end to bag your stuff while you scan/pay.

The Walmart I usually go to changed the layout of there self checkouts and eliminated the belt lanes for self checkout. Makes it a pain when you have a full cart and have to scan and bag as you go with no real room the place your full bags since your cart is still full.

Posts: 4989 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t do self check out, period.

Posts: 75 | Location: Delco and LBI | Registered: April 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BoatsNbullets:
I foresee much difficulty in your future shopping adventures.

Posts: 107739 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have multiple grocery stores here with no self check out or a choice of either . Multiple pharmacies with no self check out . Hardware store , lumber yard , Tractor Supply , Auto parts , you name it . I have options and I exercise them .

Posts: 4070 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
What has happened to me recently is that I decided to move an already scanned item from one bag to another that was doubled.

Beep. "Please wait for assistance."

Then when they got there, they did a quick video review of the play and all was well.

This was the local Wallyworld btw.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Kroger has all the self checkouts open with attendents watching,
but they are opening more lanes,sometimes with baggers.
About a year ago I got there early, had well over 200 dollars of stuff
with a lot of produce. Got up front, no lane open. I asked they said too early.
I said open a lane or you can pay somebody to put it all back on the shelf.
They opened a lane. I wasn't trying to be a prick, but I hate doing produce
thru the self checkout.

Posts: 970 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
I've also had Kroger cashiers try to steal from me.

Posts: 2790 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
There's a grocery store near me that has NO self checkouts .They have a person watching the front end at all times and if there are three or more people in line they open another register . They hire mostly High School kids and they make service a priority . That's the kind of place I'll support .

My Publix is that way, not a single self check out lane, its right next to a High School, lots of kids work there but not as many as in the past, it's more adults than kids anymore.

I'm sure it will have one eventually.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

I never deal in absolutes. Always.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12443 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

My Publix is that way, not a single self check out lane, its right next to a High School, lots of kids work there but not as many as in the past, it's more adults than kids anymore.

I'm sure it will have one eventually.
I live about halfway between two Publix locations; I shop at both, depending on my travel route. The location on South Hunt Club Blvd, corner of SR 436, does not have any self-service registers. The Gateway location, on SR 434 (Forest City Rd) near Maitland Blvd, has a cluster of self service registers for a couple months. Unlike Walmart self service, the Publix registers seem to be open and working all the time, and there are always one or two Publix employees standing by to help if needed. I'll go through the self-service there, if I only have a few items and the express cashiers are busy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grandparents just rang up the corner store on their party line and the boy showed up in an hour with all the groceries. Never asked for a tip. Had a door outside that slid open for the block ice that was delivered.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jer830:
I’m seeing more security folks at the Wall Mart I shop at in Huntington Beach. I’m very observant about these things being retired L/E. Just the other day I observed a uniformed guy and a few plainclothes guys, walking a couple from the self checkout stands, into the security office near the checkout stand. They had three bags of stuff with them. I noted a short time later they were perp walking the couple out of the store empty handed.

My wife has a friend that I would never guess as being dishonest but she steals stuff every time she goes shopping which is shocking to me. It actually changed my opinion of her.

I had a Lowes person want to check my crap at the door once. I said if you trust me to work here you trust me to be honest and kept walking. They just let me go. If I have to check out my own stuff then you trust me. I’m not going through a surveillance after the fact.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most Costco's that had them, still have Self Check Out's.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
All the self-checkouts in my local Kroger today were closed. Not sure if they were installing software/hardware updates or updating the entire scanning units themselves.

My take on the self-checkouts is that they are there for those customers with a limited number of items...20? 25? Dunno. But I DO see people with a YUUUGE basket full of stuff using the self-checkout. It REALLY holds up the line and as someone previously mentioned, there is no place to put your bags if the cart is still full of stuff. I deem it VERY inconvenient for customers with STUFFED baskets to use self-checkout.

JMHO, of course. That and $2.97 will get you a tall Starbucks.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I only go to my local Walmart once or twice a year. Since my last visit, they've installed more self-checkout lines. However, there are more associates, and at the end of self-checkout a bar code appears on the screen and one of the associates has to scan a handheld device over the bar code. I'm assuming it's an antitheft measure.

They've also made their plastic bags shittier than my last visit and they now peel apart as poorly as the GD plastic bags in the produce aisle. Perhaps it's also an antitheft measure designed to slow people down and keep them grumbling profanities as they're trying to separate the GD plastic bags.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know where my discount is for having to do an employees job.

There have been too many news stories about people who made a simple mistake by not properly scanning or not noticing an item didn't scan and being arrested for shoplifting. I'm guessing if you accidentally double scan an item and pay for it twice and catch it later it isn't their problem.

Who provided training to properly use this equipment? Cashiers in stores require training, then are shadowed by an experienced cashier for at least a week before operating on their own.

YOU on the other hand are expected to be just as proficient with no training at all. If they fail, they get a reprimand. If you fail you could get arrested.

I tried using them a few times. Each time an item I scanned required approval to continue so I still needed someone to come over. Of course i had to wait as no one was immediately available.

I avoid these whenever possible. They tried to force me into one for a simple purchase at Home Depot so I handed the person my items and told him I'll just go across the street to Menard's. It was cheaper there and I had a really nice lady check me out. Very pleasant and had a nice little chat as I checked out.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38005 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
As we all know, fraud is more common at the self-checkout line. In fact, nearly one in five shoppers have intentionally committed fraud at this point-of-sale. And, according to the Loss Prevention Research Council, 58% of consumers said theft was easy or very easy in self-checkout lines.

The motivation for this type of theft may vary from shopper to shopper. Some shoppers may feel less remorse sneaking an item into their bag in this checkout process than they would in front of a human cashier. Others may avoid scanning an expensive product due to their concerns about cost or inflation. Lastly, some shoppers simply relish the chance to operate unwatched.

There are a few common types of fraud committed via self-checkout lines. Sometimes a shopper scans an inexpensive item, like a banana, while actually putting a more expensive item, like a steak, in their basket. Other shoppers may try avoiding the scanner altogether and leave an item in their cart throughout the checkout process. Some shoppers may even swap price tags on products of a similar weight.

Regardless of the chosen method, self-checkout fraud is a major problem for retailers nationwide.
Some Retailers are implementing AI software & cameras to Stop Self-Checkout Fraud. The trick to stopping fraud is to implement self-learning technology that goes beyond rule-based fraud systems. These AI-driven tools can determine when a fraudulent act is more probable and issue a recommendation for a rescan or an employee-assist.

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
When you scan and bag your own stuff, you’ve become an unpaid employee.

I’d like my Walmart vest and at least some bennies like medical and dental for a month.

Only seems fair.

Posts: 53236 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At Costco, the self check out receipt is easily identified by the blue lines on each side of the receipt. At the Costco exit door, ideally a match is made with the receipt item count and a manual count of items present in the cart. Regardless of whether it's a self check out or Cashier lane receipt, discrepancies are sometimes found with the items counts. Sometimes in favor of Costco and sometimes in favor of the Member.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
There's a grocery store near me that has NO self checkouts .They have a person watching the front end at all times and if there are three or more people in line they open another register . They hire mostly High School kids and they make service a priority . That's the kind of place I'll support .

We have a local grocery store like that. I asked if they would add a little beef liver to my Hamburg grind (not fond of liver), it was no trouble at all! Always feel good shopping there.

I think the more stores get automated, the more I’ll shop on line!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post