SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Editing 1980s PG movies for kids today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Editing 1980s PG movies for kids today Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
I remember as a kid watching the "Saturday afternoon movie" on the STL UHF channel, stuff like edited for TV Police Academy, Smokey and the Bandit, etc. Great movies even when you take the profanity and sexual innuendos out. I wish there was a way to do that today, or an option on DVDs. Anyway, with the new Top Gun: Maverick coming out, I wanted to figure out a way to show 1986 Top Gun to our kids but get around the profanity they won't learn for another year or two at least. I had a brilliant revelation last night.

PLAY IT IN SPANISH!!!

I can't wait to mess with them this weekend, this is going to be awesome.

Posts: 2524 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
There are services that edit movies.
Clean Films, or something like that, was one of them that I've heard neighbors mention.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I watched a Tarantino flick like that the other day.

Started it, went to make a bag of popcorn, came back and the credits were rolling...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43915 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
They'll probably ask you to turn on the closed captioning.

Posts: 3390 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
There was one like that based in Utah. Don't know if they are still offering films. It also goes to looking at off Whorelywood productions where it's noted up front they aren't controlled by the system there. Too many old films repurposed to new gender roles are not often successful. The rites of passage to star in those movies have had a telling affect.

Consider that the movies overall may have been great for us in the day, but that was then, not now, and those glory days are over. I've curtailed a lot of my viewing - seeing Netflix trash season 3 of Designated Survivor with inappropriate language and characterizations, along with some lame plot threads was a bummer. We quit the third episode.

Go play baseball, fish, do chores together, consider moving to the country. Go shooting. Movies aren't a good time filler.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
All you gotta do is watch movies from the year 1939. Best “Hollywood” year ever.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1936 era westerns on Youtube.
Clean, wholesome, the bad guy loses and the good guy wins.

PC

Posts: 1341 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
There are services that edit movies.
Clean Films, or something like that, was one of them that I've heard neighbors mention.

Weren't they sued or something? Something about copyright violations?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Started it, went to make a bag of popcorn, came back and the credits were rolling...

Was gonna say...that must have left a total of about 3 minutes of viewable footage Big Grin!

Posts: 8629 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have Netflix, you can use VidAngel to watch an edited Top Gun. VidAngel isn’t too expensive but you need the streaming service that has the show/movie that you want.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

I was going to opine that if one removed all the stuff kids shouldn't be exposed to, that there wouldn't be much left.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dar185:
If you have Netflix, you can use VidAngel to watch an edited Top Gun. VidAngel isn’t too expensive but you need the streaming service that has the show/movie that you want.

Many thanks. I just signed up and am giving it a whirl, works good so far! Inobtrusive mutes for profanity and they even pulled off the inverted photo absent the middle finger. Works for me. Added bonus: one of the "filters" is "Jar Jar Binks."

Posts: 2524 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ion TV used to be calles Pax TV: "The network first began broadcasting on August 31, 1998, as Pax TV, focusing primarily on family-oriented entertainment programming."

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Ha, that was great. Id like to see them try that with Deadwood!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3451 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post