SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When you are retired....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When you are retired.... Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Yes, I often forget the day and I always forget the date.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid I always forgot what day it was.

The last straw for my Dad was when I woke him up early on a Saturday to take me to school.

He bought me a watch with day/date on it so it wouldn't happen again.

To this day I wear a watch with Day/Date on it.

We go a lot of places and do a lot of things so it helps to know day and date.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rarely forget the day but no chance on the date.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes and that’s a problem because I need to take the trashcan to the curb for pickup on Fridays. Usually I’ll spot all the neighbors’ cans Friday morning and remember at that point!

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have not really retired until you don't know what day it is. Retired now for 14 or is it 15 no maybe 16 years, hell I can't remember.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I don't care.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Retired for over 12 years now and I still keep close track of the day and date. I still have a schedule of sorts were I do certain things on certain days, and have appointments. Dr, Dentist, haircut etc., along with family functions and the sort. All of that is nothing out of the ordinary.

I try to put everything on my computer calendar, and I take a look at it early each morning. Something I've done all my adult life, except early on it was a "Day Timer"

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Retired for 7 years and a faithful user of the calendar feature on my Mac, iPad, iPhone and MacBook. These feed my Apple watch to keep me posted on time, day, date and schedule. Otherwise, I'd be lost.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
When I woke up this morning I kept thinking today was Sunday, but since I'm retired, it really doesn't matter. There are enough reminders out there to eventually get me back on track.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
Do you ever forget what day of the week it is?

Isn't that something your wife should be in charge of remembering along with where your keys are? Smile

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't forget so much as have to think about it rather than knowing it automatically.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup

Retired. No longer have to dance to somebody else's beat. So what does it matter?

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Appointments I must keep go into the mobile devices' calendar, with day-before and hour-before alerts. Do need to keep track of Monday's, cuz that's trash pickup day. Oh, and our favorite take-out is closed on Monday.

Occasionally my wife will suggest going to Costco and I'll reply "On a Saturday/Sunday? No thanks!" "Oh yeah," she replies.

Otherwise, like triggertreat said: "Every day is a Saturday" Smile

Nonetheless: I do stay physically and mentally active. It's just that I do things on my own schedule, now, and the day of the week isn't terribly important to it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a daily planner/calendar that I enter Dr appointments and things that I want to do.

On a good day I remember to check the darned thing.

I check it and go to an appointment. I still have to check my phone for the date to fill out the paperwork. Roll Eyes

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yes.

If you need to be mindful of dates and such, set reminders on your phone, and/or calendar on your computer.

There are several options. (Outlook, Google Calendar etc.)

Using one that is used across phone, PC and such, can make it easier and not have to make changes in more than one place, but have the reminders in all the places (devices) you use.

Then, let the whole "dancing to the drummer" fall to the side, and just enjoy the not having to mind time.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Isn't that something your wife should be in charge of remembering along with where your keys are? Smile

She divorced me last year. 30 years, 4 bedroom house all to myself. Smile

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Yup; have an appt so I do know it’s Tuesday… I think tomorrow will be Wednesday…

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I keep really busy and need to routinely check my calendar to avoid missing obligations. Retirement is great, but it doesn't mean you can't have a full and generally enjoyable schedule.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I do occasionally forget what day it is. Usually my scheduled activities on Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday more or less keep me on track, but COVID has put some of those activities on hold and my Friday commitment closed down many months ago.

My computer and cable TV do keep track of the days, though, and I consult them. I also use the Calendar function of Outlook for appointments.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
They say "every day is Saturday" but the gun shows, car shows, etc are ONLY on Saturday with some continuing on Sunday.

Of course, when I retired May of '20, things were shutting down and it's taken about this long to get things back to normal.

I kinda wonder what is going on with folks who don't know what day of the week it is, what with the shows, what and when stores are open, when a program is on TV, what night etc. I definitely watch the weather and this week is great, 50/60's until Saturday. I can cut down savannah grass, thin trees, work on the truck, split wood - and know better than to try on a day it won't warm up to freezing. I've always had to do that - not knowing what day it was is certainly a luxury for those with nothing to do, I guess.

"Don't let the Lazyboy eat you" was something guys past 20 noted as our fathers who worked all their life were retiring and 6 months later - gone. We resolved to keep from being like Dad in that regard.

First step is knowing what day of the week it is and what your planner has set up, appointments, date night, gun show - c'mon man, it's not all pudding for dessert.

Or you might find that pudding is all you have to think with.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Sometimes. And that's even wearing a mechanical watch on my left wrist with usually a day/date and an apple watch on my right wrist that does show the day/date along with my schedule and weather conditions.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post