SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home invader lawfully killed by UK pensioner...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home invader lawfully killed by UK pensioner... Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Some people just need killin'

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No way. Pretty much thought you automatically got a stiffer sentence than whoever attacked you.
I am amazed.

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I found it interesting how the burgler's mother had the same diatribe as the mothers of criminals in this country. "The person (real victim) should have just let him commit his crime and not done anything. I want justice"

Justice was served my dear, quick and final.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
The homeowner was arrested on suspicion of murder. Of course! How dare he protect himself and his wife. Clearly, a civilized person would simply serve tea and crumpets to the armed home invaders in order to de-escalate the situation.

Not intentionally being a smartass, I promise...you read the part about him being exonerated by the Coroner, right?

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Having rendered the intruder unconscious with a tent peg mallet that he just happened to have about his person [like you do]...

I guess I could use my P226 as a tent peg mallet.

quote:
... he went away to call the police, and upon returning to the unconscious and bleeding intruder, then battered him to death with it.

He rightly got done for second degree murder.

That'll get one in trouble here in the States as well.

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
The officer said he performed CPR for 15 minutes until emergency workers arrived.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't penetrating trauma to the thoracic region a reason to NOT perform CPR?

Doesn't it serve to push what little blood remains out thereby accelerating exsanguination and death?

There was no mention there of it being done to actually help him on the way to recovery, was there? Wink

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:
The homeowner was arrested on suspicion of murder. Of course! How dare he protect himself and his wife. Clearly, a civilized person would simply serve tea and crumpets to the armed home invaders in order to de-escalate the situation.

Not intentionally being a smartass, I promise...you read the part about him being exonerated by the Coroner, right?

Quite right, too.

Here in UK EVERY death that appears to have been caused by another person using a weapon of some kind is initially treated as murder until it can be shown that he acted in self-defence of himself and his family. Only Mr Tent-peg Mallet has been found to intentionally and maliciously caused the death of another person got his just deserts. All the others walked.

Back in the days when we had gun stores that sold handguns, a guy wearing a full-face motor-cycle helmet walked into the LGS armed with a badly-sawn off shotgun. This he proceeded to stick into the throat of the guy behind the counter, drawing a deal of blood on the sawn muzzles, demanding guns, ammunition and money. While he was engaged in that, the other store clerk, that he seemed not to have noticed, and who was cleaning a .38 revolver, loaded it up, walked behind him and putting the barrel against the side of the helmet, blew his brains all over the store.

Initially, HE was charged with murder, but was able to show that he believed that the life of his colleague was in danger of being curtailed somewhat by the thug and his 12g.

He, too, walked...

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I found it interesting how the burgler's mother had the same diatribe as the mothers of criminals in this country. "The person (real victim) should have just let him commit his crime and not done anything. I want justice"

As I pointed out in post #1 - 'Notice how the would-be burglar's mother, 'Gypsy Rose Lee', tries to defend her POS son - sounds all too familiar to SIG forum readers.'

I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
‘In considering the force it would seem that given there are two intruders at night, one with a weapon, the use of moderate force would seem to me to reasonably be proportionate. ‘It seems to me the combination of unpredictability and fear were factors that have to be taken into account considering the proportionality of the force that was used.’

Coroner Harris scores a self-defense act as it were a organized sport with many rules. As 'tie goes to the runner' in baseball, so it seems the burden of defensive acts is measured by the criminals 'tools' and intent. Over defend yourself (seriously...) and you become the criminal.
It is now that up is down.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
No way. Pretty much thought you automatically got a stiffer sentence than whoever attacked you.
I am amazed.

Tut tut. You really haven't been reading what I've been writing, have you, Sir?

Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes, and I also read the part about them arresting him for murder when it was clear to them that he was attacked in his home by armed intruders. Do you see the problem? It clearly should have never gotten to the point where he needed to be exonerated. Had there not been a public backlash after his arrest, they may have tried to prosecute him.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Pretty depressing to read the comments of coroner Harris. He presents this as a very subjective situation that could have went either way. I find that asinine and offensive.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Quite right, too.

Here in UK EVERY death that appears to have been caused by another person using a weapon of some kind is initially treated as murder until it can be shown that he acted in self-defence of himself and his family. Only Mr Tent-peg Mallet has been found to intentionally and maliciously caused the death of another person got his just deserts. All the others walked.

Back in the days when we had gun stores that sold handguns, a guy wearing a full-face motor-cycle helmet walked into the LGS armed with a badly-sawn off shotgun. This he proceeded to stick into the throat of the guy behind the counter, drawing a deal of blood on the sawn muzzles, demanding guns, ammunition and money. While he was engaged in that, the other store clerk, that he seemed not to have noticed, and who was cleaning a .38 revolver, loaded it up, walked behind him and putting the barrel against the side of the helmet, blew his brains all over the store.

Initially, HE was charged with murder, but was able to show that he believed that the life of his colleague was in danger of being curtailed somewhat by the thug and his 12g.

He, too, walked...

So basically, the default is that you're guilty until they can be convinced otherwise.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Quite right, too.

He, too, walked...

So basically, the default is that you're guilty until they can be convinced otherwise.
Where do you live? Here in Texas, if you shoot someone in self-defense you're almost certain (of course there are exceptions) of the DA taking it to the grand jury. In other words, charged with murder and hiring legal counsel to hopefully get a "no bill" from grand jury and not having to go any further. In clear cut cases, the DA doesn't take it with much enthusiasm, but you're still experiencing a lot of stress and spending tens of thousands of dollars.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Quite right, too.

He, too, walked...

Where do you live? Here in Texas, if you shoot someone in self-defense you're almost certain (of course there are exceptions) of the DA taking it to the grand jury. In other words, charged with murder and hiring legal counsel to hopefully get a "no bill" from grand jury and not having to go any further. In clear cut cases, the DA doesn't take it with much enthusiasm, but you're still experiencing a lot of stress and spending tens of thousands of dollars.

Thank you, Sir. Here we do not have a grand jury system. If the Crown Prosecution Service think that you have a case to answer, and there is evidence that you maliciously did somebody to death, rather than by being engaged in a fight for your life, you WILL be charged with murder, usually reduced to manslaughter, but in 99% of the cases, it is thrown out before it can go to court.

As in the USA, the words 'I feared for my life and that of my wife/child/husband and did all I could to save their lives' have as much resonance here as they do in the USA.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The officer said he performed CPR for 15 minutes until emergency workers arrived.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't penetrating trauma to the thoracic region a reason to NOT perform CPR?

Doesn't it serve to push what little blood remains out thereby accelerating exsanguination and death?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:

That right there is a good cop.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
'Has he lost much blood?' 'Nope, most it's right there, beside, 'im.'

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You say that like in the case of this individual that would have been a bad thing. Confused

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Quite right, too.

He, too, walked...

tatortodd and tacfoley -

I'm behind enemy lines in NJ where they're much less tolerant of using a firearm in SD than Texas. Hell, they don't want you to even own a firearm here. Having said that, I'm very confident stating that if I shot a masked, armed intruder that forced their way into my home, I would not be arrested. Of course, there would be an investigation, but I would not be arrested by default. That's what we're discussing here. We're not discussing shooting someone in public when the facts aren't immediately clear.

My brother lives in Maryland - another State that doesn't care for the 2A. Not long ago, the police were going door-to-door to notify residents of a string of burglaries in the area. During his conversation with them, the police told him that if he finds an intruder in his home to shoot them. They added that he should try not to shoot them in the back.

People are rightfully concerned about prosecution but the first point of contact during a incident such as this will be police officers and detectives. Their report is going to carry some weight and I believe they're generally on the side of the homeowner.