SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home invader lawfully killed by UK pensioner...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home invader lawfully killed by UK pensioner... Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/02...9392697/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

This took place last year, when two armed men, wearing Balaclava face-masks, forced their way into the home of 78-y/o Richard Osborn-Brooks and his elderly wife.

In the resulting scuffle, he fatally stabbed Henry Vincent while he tried to burglarise his home. (Picture not shown: PA/Kent Police).

A burglar who was stabbed to death by a pensioner was lawfully killed, a coroner has ruled. Henry Vincent, 37, was killed after breaking into the south-east London home of Richard Osborn-Brooks, then 78, on April 4 last year.

Giving evidence at London Inner South Coroner’s Court today Mr Osborn-Brooks said he felt ‘terrified’ and ‘helpless’ when he was faced with two men wearing balaclavas at his door in the early hours. The pensioner said he didn’t mean to stab Vincent, who was brandishing a screwdriver at the time, and was trying to protect his wife at the time.

Vincent’s chest was pierced with a 12-inch kitchen knife by Mr Osborn-Brooks, who had warned the intruder that his weapon was ‘bigger than yours and if you don’t leave my house you will be sorry’.

But Vincent, who had cocaine and heroin in his system, ignored the warning and instead ‘ran into’ the blade, Mr Osborn-Brooks told the inquest. Richard Osborn-Brooks, 78, said he didn’t mean to stab Vincent. Mr Osborn-Brooks said he told Vincent ‘get out of my house, you bastard or it will be the worse for you’.

Senior coroner Andrew Harris recorded a verdict of lawful killing on Thursday. He said: ‘In considering the force it would seem that given there are two intruders at night, one with a weapon, the use of moderate force would seem to me to reasonably be proportionate. ‘It seems to me the combination of unpredictability and fear were factors that have to be taken into account considering the proportionality of the force that was used.’

Vincent, who was part of the traveller’s community in Swanley, Kent, fled the scene wounded but collapsed in the street and later died at the University Hospital Lewisham. Mr Osborn-Brooks was initially arrested on suspicion of murder but was later released without charge.

His arrest provoked a public outcry and a fundraising campaign was launched in support of the pensioner, which raised thousands of pounds.

Giving evidence via an audio link, the pensioner described how the two men knocked on his door, grabbed him and pushed him inside. One shoved him toward the kitchen, with the other running upstairs as they both demanded money.

Mr Osborn-Brooks said after he picked up the largest kitchen knife from a nearby six-knife holder, Vincent’s accomplice fled through the front door. He told the hearing Vincent then came down the stairs brandishing a screwdriver and said: ‘Get out of my way or I’ll stick you with this.’

Coroner Andrew Harris, reading Mr Osborn-Brooks’s police statement to him, said: ‘You said “I think you’re wrong because mine’s bigger than yours and if you don’t leave my house you will be sorry”.’

But Mr Osborn-Brooks said he was trying to show that the knife he had was bigger than his screwdriver and if he were to lunge, he’d hit the knife first rather than the pensioner.

He said he thought his threat would scare Vincent out of his home. Mr Osborn-Brooks continued: ‘My intention was to get him out of the house and away from my wife.

Mr Osborn-Brooks’ arrest on suspicion of murder sparked public outcry at the time ‘I still think that Mr Vincent rushes forward intending to do me harm and he ran into the knife that I was holding between us. ‘He definitely didn’t try to get out of the front door, he came towards me.’

A police officer told the inquest he was called to the scene at around 12.45am, where he found three people standing in the road and Vincent lying on the road. When his t-shirt was lifted, one puncture wound to the upper right-hand side of the chest was discovered and he called for an ambulance immediately, PC Hickey said. The officer said he performed CPR for 15 minutes until emergency workers arrived. Vincent was taken by ambulance to hospital but pronounced dead at 3.47am, the coroner heard.

His mother, Rose Lee, told the hearing: ‘Why couldn’t that gentleman have just stepped back like a normal person would have? ‘How could the young man that was killed lunge forward to this gentleman when he’s squashed between the door, the wall and the stairs?’
Residents tore down tribute flowers to Vincent but family and friends kept replacing them Sister, Rosier Vincent told the hearing: ‘My brother was not a violent person. ‘He was a father, he was a son he was a brother. No one deserves to die.’

Pathologist Simon Poole, who carried out the post-mortem examination on Vincent, said in a statement that the toxicology report indicated ‘a recent use of both cocaine and heroin’. He added Vincent ‘may have been experiencing the effects’ of the drugs at the time of his raid. The cause of death was given as an incised wound to the chest. Following his death, Vincent’s friends and family laid flowers and cards opposite the house. But they were repeatedly torn down by neighbours angry at the shrine to a criminal – only to reappear again within hours or days.

Notice how the would-be burglar's mother, 'Gypsy Rose Lee', tries to defend her POS son - sounds all too familiar to SIG forum readers. FYI, the so-called 'travelling community are wholesale contributors to community crime in the UK. Sure, there are good folks there, but all we hear about are those who are less than law-abiding, and there are plenty of them, for sure.

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Geez... how dare anyone defend themselves against an intruder in the UK!!!

So glad I live in the USA, and in the state of Alabama where I can defend myself when needed!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4573 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sister, Rosier Vincent told the hearing: ‘My brother was not a violent person. ‘He was a father, he was a son he was a brother. No one deserves to die.’

Especially the intended victims of a couple of doped-up home invaders, Sis.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No one deserves to die? That's the stupidest thing I've heard so far this year.

Posts: 107460 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
No one deserves to die.

Deserve got nothin' to do with it, sweetie.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31420 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Just confirms the saying "bring enough knife!"

Posts: 6446 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If I find you in my home, and you are uninvited, I can reasonably assume you wish to do me harm. So you've begun a game of "kill me kill you."

You now deserve to die.

The idea that no one does, is asinine.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
everyone dies sooner or later

some just sooner and for good reasons

glad they 'saw the light' and the pensioner is OK

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Since 2000, there have been seventeen cases where the intruder has either suffered severe injuries, or death. Only in one case was the victim held to judgement for his actions. Having rendered the intruder unconscious with a tent peg mallet that he just happened to have about his person [like you do] he went away to call the police, and upon returning to the unconscious and bleeding intruder, then battered him to death with it.

He rightly got done for second degree murder.

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
whether he thought it up or it really happened - the "he ran into my blade" part of the story seems to be the main thing that saved his ass.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Evidently there is some truth to the saying, “Never corner a man meaner than you.”

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
The homeowner was arrested on suspicion of murder. Of course! How dare he protect himself and his wife. Clearly, a civilized person would simply serve tea and crumpets to the armed home invaders in order to de-escalate the situation.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was a father

Damn, he reproduced

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23198 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Evidently there is some truth to the saying, “Never corner a man meaner than you.”

Or more desperate to save his wife and himself.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
No one deserves to die? That's the stupidest thing I've heard so far this year.

The House Dems are trying their best to top it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8922 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Having rendered the intruder unconscious with a tent peg mallet that he just happened to have about his person [like you do] he went away to call the police, and upon returning to the unconscious and bleeding intruder, then battered him to death with it.

WOW he sure messed with the wrong guy

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
No one deserves to die.

Deserve got nothin' to do with it, sweetie.

Hah!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn, he reproduced

Hopefully he was not in the process of reproducing his values. Wink

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9150 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I see you've got your own Dindu Nuffins on your side of the pond as well.

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The officer said he performed CPR for 15 minutes until emergency workers arrived.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't penetrating trauma to the thoracic region a reason to NOT perform CPR?

Doesn't it serve to push what little blood remains out thereby accelerating exsanguination and death?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31420 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post