SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need some input from the road cyclist
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some input from the road cyclist Login/Join 
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
What you really need is a 1991 Schwinn Prologue with STI shifters. No you can't buy mine.

Put on a modern groupset, wheelset, and cockpit and it would be as quick as many modern rides.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
My current bike has triple rings in front, not that you need them in Indiana, but the local bike dealer didn't have one bike with triples. I was hoping to keep that feature as it is nice when you need it.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3696 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I have not seen a triple road bike in a while, I have an old vintage Mt. bike I kept around that has a triple. Maybe Caneau knows of one, he sounds very knowledgeable and/or is in the industry. You could probably build one after getting a bike using a new crank set (bottom bracket size?), derailleur etc.

You have A Performance bike shop close to you? Here is a Fenix on their site, mostly Ultegra. $1800, but frame size is limited.
http://www.performancebike.com...73_-1_400315__400315

Fuji Transonic - 105 for $1500
http://www.performancebike.com...83_-1_400315__400315

Fuji Roubaix - 105
http://www.performancebike.com...01_-1_400315__400315

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3795 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
My current bike has triple rings in front, not that you need them in Indiana, but the local bike dealer didn't have one bike with triples. I was hoping to keep that feature as it is nice when you need it.

Triples are very rare and usually a custom order. Try a 32t cassette in the back with a 34t chainring. It gets almost the same gearing as a 30t ring up front with a 27t in the back. I think that Domane I recommend is set up this way.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Even tough I am fat and out of shape I could pedal ever bike I road in top gear and still maintain a cadence of about 50 rpms. I am going to go ride a Trek Domane today.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3696 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've become of the Performance Bike business model. While I haven't purchased a bike from them, I do frequent their shops for parts and supplies. My ten year old Trek Madone 5.2SL and 7 year old Kestrel Talon SL were both Craigslist specials.

I like the Trek Domane recommendation. I'm a Trek guy, but there are plenty of great bikes out there.

One recommendation - find a local bike shop that will let you demo a bike you're looking at. Some will even let you rent a bike for a day. I rented a Specialized Robaix (full ultegra and carbon) for $40 for 24 hours. It was my first road bike experience and I managed 75 miles with my buddies.

P229

Posts: 3843 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have a Trek 6000 that I have had for ever and ridden the dog crap out of so I have a soft spot for Trek's and we have a Trek store nearby so I am going to go ride a Domane.

YAT-YAS

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even tough I am fat and out of shape I could pedal ever bike I road in top gear and still maintain a cadence of about 50 rpms. I am going to go ride a Trek Domane today.

Use the gears and work on keeping your cadence in the 80-90 range. The Trek Domane is a nice bike. I ride a Trek Emonda, would not recommend if you are looking for some comfort as it does not have the iso system, but it is light and nimble.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3795 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Rode a Trek Domane S5 liked it a lot and there on sale and would be $1750 out the door.

YAT-YAS

Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Also try to find and Orbea Avant (endurance geometry not race geometry like the Orca) and take it for a test ride.

I really like how my Orbea Orca (60 cm frame so pretty big) handles (it is a 2013 model bought new in January 2015).

I saw a 2017 advertised for $1599.00 online.

Good luck in your quest, and enjoy your riding.

Dave

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've currently got bikes with Dura Ace, and Ultegra, (and Sram Red). I have also had bikes with Tiagra and Sora.
Honestly, there is just a barely detectable difference in the actual function. So little that it may be mostly psychological projection.
With the higher end groups you get lighter weight, nicer polishing, and a little better alloys and bearings in some components. But they will still probably outlive you.

If you have he tools and know-how to put together your own bike, you can get a top quality carbon frame here for a lot less:
http://pedalforce.com/online/p...hp?products_id=20207

But there are a lot of good bikes out there today. You would almost have to work at getting a truly bad one. It is mostly what you think you like and personal preferences.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
If you look at Fuji, the Gran Fondo/Sportif models are the endurance type bikes. They are the same frame, except the Gran Fondo is carbon, and the Sportif is alloy.

I have a Sportif which I wish I had a better set on. I have a Fuji Roubaix Pro with 105. The Sportif is more comfortable to me due to the ever so slightly more upright position. The Roubaix is fast, I mean really fast for an alloy.

If the Sportif Had more gears it would be better. It's the old Sora with 8 gears. I find myself wishing for closer ratio gears sometimes. It's comfortable though for just riding. The Roubaix gets me hurting in my shoulders if I ride it a lot.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
quote:

Triples are very rare and usually a custom order. Try a 32t cassette in the back with a 34t chainring. It gets almost the same gearing as a 30t ring up front with a 27t in the back. I think that Domane I recommend is set up this way.

I have triples on a Fuji Roubaix Pro and never even get in the tall cog. I stay in the middle about 98% of the time. Every now and then a hill will make me catch the granny gear.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post