SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Salmon I Have Ever Cooked
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Salmon I Have Ever Cooked Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Pics?

Sounds good. Shopping tomorrow.

Pics? Don’t hold your breath. Appliance Brad started a long (four-page) thread about toasters, but there was only one single post with photos of toast actually made by a member. And I’m proud to say that it was my post. Smile

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/6430074574/p/3

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8993 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite method came from America's Test Kitchen long ago, was trying to find a video to post but, here' the print version.

It's a tried and true method, the mustard and crust is a nice addition without taking anything away from the salmon, just make sure you keep an eye on things after you've applied the crust, the oils in the chips will burn fast if you're not careful. You can eliminate the bread if you don't have it.
If you're exacting about internal temperatures, 125F/52C is just right.

quote:
Broiled Salmon with Potato Crust
Recipe From: Cook’s Country, America’s Test Kitchen, Fast & Fresh, October/November 2008

Serves: 2

Ingredients:

2 skin-on salmon fillets (each 6 to 8 ounces and 1 1/4 inches thick)
1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 1/4 cups kettle-cooked potato chips
1/2 slice hearty white sandwich bread, torn in to pieces
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard

Directions:

1. Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat broiler. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Pat fish dry with paper towels, rub all over with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Arrange salmon, skin-side down, on prepared baking sheet and broil on upper-middle rack until fish is lightly browned and edges flake when gently pressed, about 8 minutes.

2. Pulse chips, bread, dill, and lemon zest in food processor until coarsely ground. Remove salmon from oven and brush evenly with mustard. Sprinkle chip mixture evenly over fillets, pressing gently to adhere. Transfer salmon to lower-middle rack and broil until crust is golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes. Serve.

TIP: Lay’s Kettle Cooked Original potato chips are the test kitchen favorite, but any brand of kettle-cooked chips will work. Watch the fish as it cooks in step 2; the potato crust can burn in just seconds.

Posts: 14671 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post