SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Biersdorf am See, Germany - Village Population 563 - Pictures, a story, and a few HIGH $$ European sport car photos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biersdorf am See, Germany - Village Population 563 - Pictures, a story, and a few HIGH $$ European sport car photos Login/Join 
posted
Returning home from a 8 day visit with my son, DIL, and three grand kids currently stationed (Air Force) at Spangdalham, Germany. The cool thing is that they decided to live in a village about 20 minutes from base that has a population of 563 people. The home they live in was a stable built in 1835 and converted to a home about 30 years ago.

WOW - 20" walls, no AC, heat generated from an oil burning furnace in the basement that heats the floors, no cable or satellite (his choice to not have this because the kids are 5,4 and 2) so they would be not be en-gulped by the technology world we all live in. The church bells ring every night at 6:30 p.m. indicating that the town is closing for the evening and when it snows the local farmers clear the roads with their tractors.

Life is simple - They purchase their bread and pastry products from a local baker that knocks on their door every Monday morning at 9:00 a.m. and the eggs are from the neighbors free range chickens 6 houses away. There is no law enforcement on site and if anyone in the village has an emergency the church bells ring a different hand pulled (rope pulled ringer)pattern notifying everyone that someone is in need of help.

Yes - there are the modern things here also - hotel, restaurant, and a lake, where everyone comes to enjoy in mid/late summer. I will tell you that it took a couple of days to adjust but the TV was never turned on and my wife and I played with the grand kids with the simplest of games and songs.

The first picture below is of the local village church where everyone is welcome to attend Sunday mass and the doors are never locked.

The second picture is of large Roman City Gate in Trier, Germany called Porta Nigra (about 30 minutes from the village where my son lives)- and this gate was built in 170 A.D.... We spent several hours in this beautiful piece of history in amazement that it was built almost 2000 years ago.

And finally - in the covered parking garage of a dealership in Trier the sales manager kindly allowed my son and I to go down to see some of their inventory (last picture is a Bentley SUV - did not know they made an SUV). Car guys should like these pictures. This was a trip that my wife and I will never forget with plans to go back later this year for another visit since this part of our family will be stationed there for at least three more years. Enjoy my SIGForum friends......Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for posting the pics. I enjoyed them.

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1490 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Lots to see and do in Germany! Wife and I covered all of West Germany during my first 4 years stationed there. We covered a good portion of what used to be the East zone the second tour, that was after the walls came down and the borders opened.

We still have relatives living in the "east zone" and had some great times visiting with them while stationed in Frankfurt!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a neat trip, and neat experience for your son's family. Living in such a small town, they will really get a chance to get to know their neighbors and experience a different culture.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1893 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Very nice. The Porta Nigra is right across from the Trier Cathedral. I visited there in 2001 to see the Klais pipe organ there (we were considering that firm to build our new organ--and did hire them).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
What an interesting place to visit, much less to live in. Fresh bread from a baker who knocks on your door.

Everyone must know everybody else.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19705 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Flashguy, your church had a NEW organ built? What a wonderful blessing. A great church I used to attend had a fabulous organ and organist. The organist went on mission to Sweden (it’s harder to get converts in W Europe than in Africa or Asia); and not long after the church leaders had the organ removed. As President Trump would say, SAD!
I’ve had the opportunity to hear an organ concert in St. Thomas’ Church, Leipzig, where J.S. Bach was the Kapellmeister. He’s also buried there, so it was a little eerie looking at his tomb marker while listening to the wonderful music.

My first stay in Germany, just out of college, as at a Goethe-Institut school in Staufen, about 12 miles south of Freiburg, near the French and Swiss borders. Very quaint, as the OP describes, and the town did roll up the sidewalks at 6:30 pm. That’s how I got introduced to German and Swiss dark chocolate, the only thing you could buy after that time from a vending machine.

They raised wine grapes on a hill with a ruined castle at the top. At harvest, we got to taste the must, the fresh-squeezed grape juice.

Sweet memories, haven’t faded in the least in the last 54 years!

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. What a wonderful trip!

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Thanks - brings back memories! We lived in Kirchberg in the Rhineland-Palatinate, but population around 3,000 so a relatively "large" town. A lot of the roads were just re-paved Roman roads, and some weren't re-paved. Sometimes we'd eat in the NEW restaurant, built in the 1700s, and a little wine guy used to deliver wine to our door. Incredible amount of history in the region, from the Roman legions to the Napoleonic wars - your son and his family will have the opportunity of a lifetime!

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post