SIGforum
My nephew was drafted by the Atlanta Braves

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1860029624

February 27, 2023, 07:24 PM
erj_pilot
My nephew was drafted by the Atlanta Braves
Damn. That CANNOT be an easy career. You have to be at 150% EVERY time you compete. Good luck to your nephew this year!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
March 15, 2023, 07:27 AM
chellim1
My bro-in-law was down in Sarasota...

Zimmermann pushing for roster spot with family support

SARASOTA, Fla. - Bruce Zimmermann’s parents wanted to make certain that they could be heard above the crowd noise. Voices carry further in a spring training setting. And when he’s retiring the Braves in succession and walking back to the home dugout.

The Baltimore native had his own cheering section on Saturday, which included his father’s best friend and wife. They’d erupt in pockets after another out was recorded and another inning was completed.

Zimmermann faced the minimum number of Braves batters in three innings. Yólmer Sanchez led off the top of the fourth inning with a single, Joe Dunand grounded into a double play, and Zimmerman disposed of the next seven batters.

Only two fly ball outs in three innings, and three strikeouts. The noise reached him.

“She said I never usually hear her,” he said, “so she wanted to make sure.”

Zimmermann needed this kind of outing while in a heated camp competition, with almost a dozen starters vying for five spots.

“That’s exactly what I wanted to do,” he said. “Coming off the last outing, which, tough first inning but good second inning, so I just wanted to build off that second inning from last time and go out there and just be efficient and pound the zone and kind of just establish all my pitches early and keep working on them. I felt like I did a good job of that throughout all the innings.”

Zimmermann started against the Rays on Feb. 27 in Sarasota. Wander Franco hit a two-run homer in the first and allowed three hits in the inning but retired the side in order in the second.

The stuff was improving and it got better on Saturday.

“The results kind of speak for that a little bit, too,” he said. “I just felt like my delivery was a lot more consistent, which translates down the line to the pitches being a lot more consistent over the board. I just felt a little more comfortable on the mound, a little more relaxed and ready to go after the guys.”

Manager Brandon Hyde noted the increase in Zimmermann’s velocity, one of the more pleasing developments along with the outs, of course.

“I think that’s just a little bit getting settled into the spring training routine, as well as building up,” Zimmermann said. “That’s what I was hoping to see coming out of my offseason into spring. And it’s probably a little adrenaline, too, fighting for a job every time, but that was something I did want to see, so I was happy to see that tick up a little bit last outing and hopefully that continues and maybe ticks up a little bit more by the end of March.”

That’s when Zimmermann should know the Orioles’ plans for him. Whether he’s back in the rotation, where he began 2022 as the No. 4 starter before being optioned in June, used as a long reliever or optioned to Triple-A Norfolk.

Zimmermann is trying to jump out of the third tier of starting candidates that rotation prognosticators put him in. Kyle Gibson and Cole Irvin are the locks, with rookie Grayson Rodriguez all but certain. Kyle Bradish and Dean Kremer are commonly viewed as the most likely to make it but Tyler Wells can’t be discounted after a superb first half.

That’s overflow in a five-man rotation.

Austin Voth is out of minor league options and accompanying the Orioles to Boston in some capacity. Zimmermann, Spenser Watkins, Mike Baumann and Drew Rom round out the third tier, and they’re all certainly capable of leapfrogging.

This is just the perception. It isn’t concrete.

DL Hall eased some of the complications. He won’t be stretched out to start by March 30 and apparently is headed to the bullpen or Triple-A.

Zimmermann will keep trying to force the issue and make the Orioles find room for him. He’ll be scheduled for three innings again, which was the plan Saturday, when his efficiency led to 15 more pitches thrown in the bullpen before heading indoors.

“We’ll just keep building up after that,” he said. “We’re continuing to build that volume on a scheduled basis like most starters do.”

Give the family and friends something else to yell about.

As for yesterday’s game at Tropicana Field, the Orioles rallied for a 5-2 win over the Rays and my laptop died in the eighth inning while they scored twice to pad the lead. (I’m using a loaner)

Cedric Mullins double on the first pitch thrown to him, grounded out to end a 12-pitch at-bat, flied out on one pitch in his last at-bat – Randy Arozarena ran down the ball near the left field line – and left the club to join Team USA in Phoenix for the World Baseball Classic.

I lost my entire story, but trust me, he’s excited to go and said it won’t really hit him until his flight lands and he drops off his bags.

Ryan Mountcastle had a two-run triple in the first, to go with his two career triples in the regular season. Usually not his thing.

The Orioles didn’t collect another hit until Nomar Mazara’s tie-breaking, run-scoring single in the seventh. Lewin Díaz kept raking with an RBI single in the eighth. Heston Kjerstad singled before Díaz batted, making him 7-for-11 this spring.

Hyde said he likes Díaz’s “handsy swing” and told the media that he’s going to give the first baseman “opportunities because it’s really interesting, and the way he can play defense is extraordinary.”

Kyle Bradish threw 43 pitches in three innings, 26 for strikes, and allowed one run and two hits with a walk and two strikeouts in three innings. Arozarena hit another home run against the Orioles because apparently it’s the law. Bradish threw first-pitch strikes to 10 of 11 batters, including the last eight.

Bradish is going to miss teammate, friend and roommate Dean Kremer, who’s joining Israel in the WBC.

“It will be weird, at the field and at home,” Bradish said. “It will be a little more quiet.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blo...-with-family-support

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor
March 31, 2023, 11:09 AM
chellim1
Bruce is starting the season at the AAA Norfolk Tides...

The Orioles were unsentimental with a number of Opening Day roster decisions

It’s no joke putting together an MLB roster—especially a competitive one. Over the last two weeks running up to Opening Day, the Orioles made two rounds of cuts to get the roster down to 26 men. Several of these cuts were painful. Heston Kjerstad and his 1.219 OPS? Talk to us again in the fall. Rule 5 pickup Andrew Politi? Nice curveball, buh-bye. Franchy Cordero (.426 OBP, 1.099 OPS)? It’s been fun, but your services won’t be necessary. MLB’s No. 2 pitching prospect Grayson Rodriguez? Keeping working on the command, bud, we’ll call you sometime.

Consider, too, how optioning Grayson Rodriguez and DL Hall, two guys in that “wild but intriguing” mold, signals that the Orioles are not giving such youngsters the same leeway that they used to with say, Tanner Scott, Dillon Tate, even a wild Zack Britton-the-starter.

Rodriguez and Hall weren’t the only Orioles who came close but didn’t make the cut. Of the Orioles pitchers who threw five or more innings for Baltimore last season, the following were invited to spring training but are not currently on the roster: Nick Vespi (26.1 IP last season), Joey Krehbiel (57.2 IP), Bruce Zimmermann (73.2 IP), and Spenser Watkins (105.1 IP).

Of course, these guys are likely to show up in Baltimore again sooner or later. Just one game into 2023, we saw the offense firing on all cylinders but the bullpen looking super shaky.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/spor...ecisions/ar-AA19jv7E

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor
June 02, 2023, 08:57 AM
chellim1
We were in Memphis last weekend and had the opportunity to watch Bruce pitch. He did great!

He will be activated with the big club tomorrow and join the Orioles in San Fran.

Orioles minor league recap 5/27: A clean sweep on a night of excellent pitching
Story by Paul Folkemer • Saturday

Triple-A: Norfolk Tides 7, Memphis Redbirds (Cardinals) 2
Bruce Zimmermann unfurled his most dominant outing of the season, tossing six shutout innings and racking up more strikeouts (eight) than baserunners (seven). If Grayson Rodriguez gets demoted to the minors after last night’s poor start for the Orioles, Zimmermann might be on the short list to replace him in the rotation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/spor...pitching/ar-AA1bLLDL

-rduckwor
June 02, 2023, 09:06 AM
tatortodd
Very cool that Bruce is going back to the Orioles

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
June 02, 2023, 09:35 AM
erj_pilot
chellim...I was at the Sugarland Space Cowboys game last Friday night and was thinking about your nephew. Thought it would be a hoot if he were playing for the Astros organization. Like myself, I just kept thinking about him and how he's living his DREAM. Not many people get to do that in this world...

Congrats to Bruce!!! [like button]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
June 02, 2023, 04:27 PM
doublesharp
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Drew will hopefully play AAA ball this year.

Best of luck to Drew! They will both be playing AAA ball... so it could happen!

Good Luck Bruce! Not sure if he ever faced Drew Ellis but Drew is still hanging in there. Now with the Phillies and was Triple A player of the week a couple weeks ago while with the Lehigh Iron Pigs.

Drew was called up to Phillies a couple days ago so maybe they will meet in the show!

edit to ad - Drew Ellis starting at 3rd base for the Phillies vs Nationals today.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: doublesharp,

June 04, 2023, 11:14 AM
chellim1
Zimmermann's season debut:

Baltimorean Bruce Zimmermann made his O’s season debut last night, throwing two scoreless on one hit with two strikeouts.

He went 2-3 with a 4.05 ERA in nine games for Triple-A Norfolk, throwing six scoreless in his last start before he got the call to join the team Friday at Oracle Park.

“Been going really well,” Zimmermann said of his season on the farm to date. “Making a lot of strides the last couple of outings, especially been able to get deep into games. But mainly there were things we were working on, me and (Tides pitching coach Justin) Ramsey down there, and we saw a lot of really good progress with consistency of pitches.”

What about being used in long relief?

“I think it’s just a slight mentality shift," he said. "You know this isn’t my first time doing that. So every time you do it becomes easier and you find different things that lock you in as opposed to a start where you have the whole day to figure out your schedule. I’m getting more and more comfortable with it."

And he’s getting comfortable with the Orioles being a winning and contending team. Not like when he first pitched for his hometown team in 2020.

“It’s a big change," he said. "I wouldn’t say a 180, but it’s pretty close to it. I think just in the whole mentality of the actual team, the whole front office, the players that are coming up."

https://www.masnsports.com/blo...rmann-s-season-debut

Bruce Zimmermann on his return to the O's bullpen:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zgKi9SA6GNo

-rduckwor
September 30, 2023, 10:33 PM
doublesharp
I see Bruce got the win in tonight's game. Orioles have surprised everyone and have a hell of a shot to go all the way - Good Luck Bruce!

I'm pulling for the Phillies, our local kid had a chance to make the bigs but finished at Lehigh Valley AAA. Drew Ellis did have a 2 homer game for the Phillies and he's on the 40 man roster.

Post season is shaping up good - lots of balance. Just takes a streak Cool

September 30, 2023, 10:54 PM
old rugged cross
My Mariners, well they still suck. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
September 30, 2023, 11:04 PM
vinnybass
I know it's not a playoff tread, but...
Please, someone send the Doyers home.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."
September 30, 2023, 11:15 PM
monoblok
quote:
My Mariners, well they still suck.

[sigh]Yeah...some things never change.[/sigh]

-MG
September 30, 2023, 11:30 PM
chellim1
I was at the republican central committee of St. Louis County’s dinner tonight so I didn’t get to see the game… but my wife was texting updates.
I’m glad Bruce got the win!

-rduckwor
October 01, 2023, 12:23 PM
Shaql
Bruce is in the MLB The Show video game. I beat him 1-0 (he gave up a dinger in the 3rd). Big Grin

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.
October 19, 2023, 03:51 PM
chellim1
Bruce had a little surgery today...

Baltimore Orioles' Bruce Zimmermann Undergoes Surgery, Expected Back By Spring

Left-handed pitcher Bruce Zimmermann underwent successful core muscle surgery on Thursday, the Baltimore Orioles have announced.

The surgery was performed by Dr. Alex Poor at the Vincera Institute in Philadelphia, per MASN's Roch Kubatko and others. Zimmermann is expected to be back on the mound in time for Spring Training.

Zimmermann bounced between Baltimore and Triple-A Norfolk for the third consecutive season in 2023. In seven major league relief appearances, Zimmermann went 2-0 with a 4.73 ERA, 1.275 WHIP and 9.5 strikeouts per nine innings.

https://www.si.com/fannation/m...k-by-spring-training

-rduckwor
October 19, 2023, 03:56 PM
erj_pilot
Ouch! Sounds like he has a boat-load of situps in his future. Frown Best of luck!!

October 19, 2023, 07:46 PM
mjlennon
He's young, he'll be fine. Look forward to seeing him in action again next season.
January 13, 2024, 11:35 AM
chellim1

Birdland Caravan is Back!
January 25-27, 2024

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/fans/caravan#jan-27

-rduckwor
January 13, 2024, 11:48 AM
old rugged cross
It is early yet. Wanting my Mariners to make a trade for some more offense. But to do it they will need to trade a young pitcher which is a hard since pitching is such a premium. The O's are one of the teams a trade could happen with as they need more pitching.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
March 04, 2024, 04:30 PM
chellim1
Good Spring...

Orioles’ Bruce Zimmermann, feeling healthy, sees it reflected in spring start

NORTH PORT, Fla. — When looking back at his 2023 season now, Bruce Zimmermann can’t help but see the warning signs that something wasn’t right.

He made it through the whole season, spending most of his time in Triple-A with seven appearances in the majors, but admittedly did not feel his best. He started to feel discomfort in July in his core, and a cortisone shot provided him the cover to get through the rest of the season.

Zimmermann had core surgery when the season ended, setting back his offseason timeline but providing an aha moment. He’s stronger now, he said, and his velocity has ticked up. Perhaps that discomfort he was feeling was impacting him more than he thought at the time.

“It really just improved my ability to pitch athletically again,” he said of the surgery. “Definitely had some limitations looking back on the last year.”

Zimmermann couldn’t lift weights until December, and he didn’t throw until early January. He is about a month behind where he normally would be at this point in the spring, and he had only a few live bullpen sessions before he took the mound Friday for his first Grapefruit League start. He pitched two scoreless innings against the Braves, allowing two hits.

“It felt good,” he said. “I’m taking each start as it comes, just trying to build off each one. Obviously, results are really important, but with the limited amount of reps I was able to take with the rehab, I was really happy with that one.”

Zimmermann is building up in camp as a starter, the role he’s primarily held in the minors. He made 26 starts for the Orioles in 2021 and 2022, but last year all seven of his major league appearances came out of the bullpen.

Zimmermann, a Baltimore native who grew up going to games at Camden Yards, likely will not be a part of the opening day rotation. But he could sneak his way into the bullpen with a solid showing this spring.

With John Means and Kyle Bradish out to start the season, the Orioles are expected to pull Tyler Wells and Cole Irvin into their rotation, opening two potential bullpen spots. Zimmermann could fill one, especially if they are looking for a long reliever.

https://www.thebaltimorebanner...KZFD5NGQBWXG2UZHEQA/

-rduckwor