SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need place to shoot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need place to shoot Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know of any public land to shoot in northern Virginia? Thank you in advance!

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know of public land close to NOVA. But I have been pleased with a place called " The Cove" in Gore, VA. It is not far from Winchester. I am not affilated with them in any way.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge these are the only public land ranges in the state.

https://dwr.virginia.gov/hunting/sighting-in-ranges/

The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries has public sighting-in ranges available at the Amelia, Chickahominy, C.F. Phelps, Clinch Mountain, Gathright, and White Oak Mountain Wildlife Management Areas. These ranges are built with safety and accuracy in mind, and have posted restrictions. Please see the individual WMA pages for more information on each range.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
If you'll consider private land, you might check to see where events are held - IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun, SASS, etc. Perhaps those ranges will meet your objectives and have day rates (or membership fees) fit into your budget.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I have been pleased with a place called " The Cove" in Gore, VA

Whoa. Over 45 year ago my wife and I with our two little boys camped in The Cove for a very, very rainy weekend.
We were so happy to go back to California where one could count on not having rain on a summer weekend. Especially when I was doing the internal medicine residency and got only one day off a month. Thanks for the memories.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:
I don't know of public land close to NOVA. But I have been pleased with a place called " The Cove" in Gore, VA. It is not far from Winchester. I am not affilated with them in any way.

I've been going to the cove for 25 years. We'd go there to go party when we were in highschool and college. Even as an adult my wife and I have gone camping/shooting there. Funny seeing it mentioned here.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post