SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Watches 1500-2500
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watches 1500-2500 Login/Join 
Non Nobis Solum
posted
Ok so I'm looking for recommendations for a watch between 1500-2500. I reached a milestone at work and I'm getting a good sized bonus and want to get something nice. I sell educational software and mostly work in an office here in Charlottesville VA but occasionally visit school districts in CA, NV, AZ, CO , MI, IN, IL, and OH.

I'm thinking something in the Tag Heuer or pre-owned Omega range. Any suggestions would be great.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 3617 | Location: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
David Truong - please pick up the courtesy phone!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4581 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a few pictures of styles that you like? Anything specific about Omega or Tag that caught your attention?
Off the top of my head you can find a nice pre-owned Seamaster in that range.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non Nobis Solum
posted Hide Post
I like the Omega Seamasters and the ceramic bezel Tag Aquaracer. I don't really like the Formula One series as much. Looking for something I can wear in business casual or the occasional suit.

38-42mm
Metal Band
SS color
Black or Blue face
Automatic

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 3617 | Location: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the truth will set you free
Picture of ilikefirearms
posted Hide Post
Tag, Omega, or Longines All have nice stuff at that price mark. Go automatic. Just my two cents.

Conan! What is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Posts: 1508 | Registered: September 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
I would give our very own Dave at http://mimisjewelryinc.com/ a call. He's helped out so many and I'd bet he'd find out just what you're looking for.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non Nobis Solum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
How about a few pictures of styles that you like? Anything specific about Omega or Tag that caught your attention?

Any suggestions for a dealer or model to consider.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frankinaug:
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:

Any suggestions for a dealer or model to consider.

Crown and Caliber is a well respected pre-owned shop . Take a look through there.

https://www.crownandcaliber.com/

I'm partial to the blue wave faced Seamaster's but that's probably because I've owned one for a dozen years. They've made a bunch of different iterations over the years, differences include items like the hour markers (dots, bars, triangles, etc.). A can't miss option would be Seamaster Professional 300M with one of the coaxial movements. Lot's of choices there. You'll be pushing your top end there, but it's a potential life time watch. If you can't find one with a coaxial movement, the earlier automatic movements are equally fine.

Tudor (owned by Rolex) also puts out a dive watch, they make a Black Bay and Pelagos, that you could consider. They recently went to in house movements.

No direct experience with Tag, but same category as Omega. Most important part of buying pre-owned is buying the seller as much as the watch.

You can also check the classifieds in watchuseek.com. Similar site to this place except different focus.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Second the Black Bay--Tudor makes really nice watches. Take a look at Oris as well. If a micro raid is an option, take a look at Monta. Their Triumph model is outstanding, but they have a preorder on for the Oceanking, their dive model.

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tag, Omega, or Longines All have nice stuff at that price mark. Go automatic. Just my two cents.

Yep, I agree; also check out Hamilton, Oris and Tudor too.

Good luck with your choice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Another vote for contacting David. He will take very good care of you.

Posts: 12924 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
My most prized watch is my old TAG aquaracer my wife gave me. It is just as nice as my older rolex 16610 sub. Ive had a few omega SMPs over the years, but i got bored of them and they went away. my current favorite is my tudor pelagos. the watch is just awesome. the quality is amazing. its way nicer than the tag, my older sub and the omegas i have had. mine averages about -1/4 second per day. the omegas and tags have all been within COSC in terms of accuracy per day. if you can stretch it, i would highly recommend the tudor. also, on the used market they seem to be going up in value, unlike the omegas and TAGs. Generally speaking with the automatics, you are going to need to get them serviced around every 5-6 years for omegas and Tags (right now around $500-600). the rolex/tudors can go 10, but it is a few hundred more expensive because they pretty much just replace everything in the movement as a matter of course, so they are around $800-1000 to service.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Assuming your wrist is under 7" around, I'd try a twosome --

Dan Henry 1970

Pick the 40mm, and then...

Oris pointer date on bracelet

If you've got a bigger wrist, you could pick the larger Dan Henry, and a different Oris, or maybe a Ball brand watch. There's are Oooodles of bigger (42/43mm) watches out there.

Posts: 11393 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
The oris is nice, but the one I had with an ETA 2824 (same as in my TAG) ran around +20 seconds per day. While my 9 year old TAG after 1 service a couple of years ago, averages +1 per day never having any parts in the movement replaced, just cleaning, oiling and rebuild during service.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Lots of reasons a watch can run fast. Magnetized is the most common I think. Either way, ETA's are well respected and can be regulated well by most watchmakers. Perhaps not cosc, but I wouldn't at all doubt that cosc is a distinct possibility with a little luck.

Posts: 11393 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
The ETAs I have had, when serviced correctly have all run withing COSC. 2824 in the TAG, a 2824 in an SMP i had, and my 7750 SMP Chrono. I tried demagnatizing that oris to no avail. According to my watch guy, he advised me get rid of the oris rather than stick $ into it that i could possibly never get back. it is also possible to assemble a 2824 improperly at service and cause it to keep erratic time, making another service an added cost. so be careful who you use as a watchmaker. i learned that the hard way with an omega i had serviced by the now defunct Yellowstone Watch Repair, the movement had to be reserviced 6 months later. At the end of the day, if you like the watch and dont plan on being a serial flipper like i was for a while i would just buy what you like.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Clem Eastwood,

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
When I get to spend that much coin on a timepiece it will likely be a Longines Conquest Chronograph with moon phase.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
ball is doing a preorder on the Trainmaster 135th anniversary
https://shop.ballwatch.ch/135th

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Omega Globemaster with the pie pan dial and observatory coin back!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39765 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post