SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Solar powered battery maintainers..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solar powered battery maintainers.. Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
For a boat. One 12v Deep Cycle marine battery. Needs to be waterproof (rain), what do you like?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
simply hook up a 5-10 watt solar panel directly to the battery. Done this for many years for a dedicated plow vehicle. Such a tiny amount of current no need for a charge controller.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Agreed.

https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WOR...+%2Caps%2C899&sr=8-4

Making it waterproof will take some alteration/taping/encasing

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I didn't ask how to fabricate one on the cheap, but thanks.

Anyone got a recommendation for a solar powered battery maintainer I don't have to build?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

Anyone got a recommendation for a solar powered battery maintainer I don't have to build?

Harbor Freight for a cheap one. Batteries Plus for a more expensive one and with better quality.

Info, I've had four stolen in past several years. They were used on motorcycle batteries. Bikes were parked outside areas.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015...VH0299X4PBT5SYWP371T

This one has over 4000 reviews and comes with the harness.

5w.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:

You don't have to "build" anything, but asked for waterproof. I don't think anything is going to be waterproof. Those that both Aeteocles linked are made for vehicles, including boats.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I have an old 1.5watt solar charger from harbor freight I have used for years.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Any small solar panel wired to a battery tender. Tender outlet to battery to prevent overcharging.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1088 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I have had one of these, Sunforce 12 V Trickle Charger, for about 5 years now. It spends from Nov to May out in the elements to maintain my sailboat batteries (2) over the off season. Been very happy with it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Su...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple of monocrystalline 5W panels from West Marine made by Nature Power to keep the two 80ah group 24's in my sailboat topped off over the winter. They were very thin and semi-flexible which appealed to me, but they turned out to be junk. At no point could I get either of them to produce anything near their rated output, and both had failed by the end of the winter.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
West Marine sells some waterproof ones with long leads that are good.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

A good panel is not going to be cheap. Get a “framed” panel. Commonly used for permanent outside installations for electric livestock fences, gates, street lights…..
Been using a framed panel directly hooked up to my dedicated plow vehicle battery for many years that sits for long periods. No need for a charge controller. Cut an outdoor rated extension cord in half, cut ends at the battery and panel. Easy plug/unplug. Simple “build”!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I’m using a solar model from Battery Tender. So far it seems to work well.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery...dExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Thanks!