SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    want a decent fixed-blade knife for your Bug Out Bag for $20 ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

want a decent fixed-blade knife for your Bug Out Bag for $20 ?? Login/Join 
posted
got one of these from Home Depot. It is NOT a super quality high speed tactical knife.

But to throw in your trunk or toolbox for $20 I think its a tremendous value and was surprised at the cost vs. capability. Very sharp.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mi...gclsrc=aw.ds#overlay

Lose it? Break it? no big deal its $20. practically disposable at that price.

Plus a possible side benefit it doesn't scream 'SPECIAL FORCES KILLER KNIFE'.

-----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'd rather pick up a Morakniv for a good sub-$20 fixed blade knockaround knife. (You can even find them for under $10 at times.)

https://www.knifecenter.com/br...akniv-Mora-of-Sweden

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'd rather pick up a Morakniv for a good sub-$20 knife.

https://www.knifecenter.com/br...akniv-Mora-of-Sweden

This. Not only inexpensive but, excellent value.

An 11" fixed blade is ridiculously big for a BOB. Good for chopping and some digging but, you're not gonna be able to use it for skinning or, any kitchen tasks, not to mention the overall weight. A solid 4-6" blade whether a Mora or a Esse is an ideal all-purpose fixed blade; for any chopping needs, get a hatchet or an axe.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
Looking at the pictures, I don't think the blade itself is 11 inches long. More like the entire knife.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That knife is a piece of shit. You might as well take an old kitchen knife and a round file, make notches in the top and you end up with a better quality still shitty utility knife. Hard pass.

Besides which if it’s your bug out bag do you really want to have a shitty knife, a rusty hipoint, and a plastic compass you got out of a Cracker Jacks box? We have a different definition of bug out box. Yours is more like a throw down gun version. Lol

Posts: 7537 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Upon further review...this is April 1st

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Hard pass. Morakniv makes great knives, especially for the value.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
which of the Moras is:

full tang

with a sheath

double-bladed w/ serrated and non-serrated

6"

$20

I'm waiting.

=======================================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I bought one. For $20, it is something that goes in the tool bag in my truck. I wouldn't use it as a bug out but it may come in handy if broken down off road.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
That knife is a piece of shit. You might as well take an old kitchen knife and a round file, make notches in the top and you end up with a better quality still shitty utility knife. Hard pass.

Besides which if it’s your bug out bag do you really want to have a shitty knife, a rusty hipoint, and a plastic compass you got out of a Cracker Jacks box? We have a different definition of bug out box. Yours is more like a throw down gun version. Lol

A whole lot of negative here. Please provide your alternative choice of knife.

I personally like the Swedish knives. But a Solingen from Germany is good too.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6317 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
if you need a double blade with serrations then I guess go for it. its your choice..but people can have their own opinions

I too am in the mora camp for build quality and utility.

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sPvMPaMS36Q

I like the glock 81 for a do it all knife at under 30 bucks.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok I agree with you guys. Great knife. I certainly would put a repurposed utility knife in my bug out bug for life threatening circumstances. Besides, it’s cryogenically hardened, that’s good right?

Just read the above posts for some solid choices. All of which would be better than this ducting knife. If you are looking to go cheap I wasn’t kidding about the kitchen. One of your old kitchen knives guaranteed has better steel and is probably hardened properly. Cardboard and duct tape make a working sheath. Give you time to save up for an actual knife.

Posts: 7537 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a piece of equipment that you'll depend on is a good value, because it's cheap and thus easily replaced...you're not really depending on it.

It's good for trivial shit. When you have the luxury of replacing it.

If you want a tool that you depend on, that you'll stake your life on, a twenty dollar home depot knife probably isn't it.

They get more expensive when you have to buy them more than once.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fuck. I’m agreeing with guppy. I better up my meds. lol

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Not that it can't be a good utility knife that you can beat on or afford to lose.
It's a DUCT knife. Designed to be used by HVAC duct work installers, perhaps it excels at that?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Airpusher
posted Hide Post
I carry one in my work van.It works well for it's intended use. Then again,I'm an HVAC guy....

A man is still only as good as his word

Posts: 220 | Location: Flowery Branch, Georgia | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Hard pass. Morakniv makes great knives, especially for the value.

Second.

I have a dozen. They're in each vehicle's emergency kit, and I their thicker/heavier duty one in my get home bag. My daughter has one, and my utility knife in the garage is a Mora. They're popular as a safety knife for fishing up here. If you lose it, no big deal. EASY to sharpen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post