SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SNL Pokes Fun At Southeastern Pennsylvania Accents: Murder Durder

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
SNL Pokes Fun At Southeastern Pennsylvania Accents: Murder Durder Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I had to laugh at this one, every once in a while SNL actually comes out with a funny sketch. They are making fun of our very unique accents we have in Southeastern (Philly region basically) PA and while not all of it is right, they do nail the "Hoawgee" and "Wooder" part of it. The guy with the Pennsyltucky white trash haircut and beard is spot on too, I always see them at my local Walmart! Big Grin

Murder Durder

Apparently this is a spoof of a real TV series set in PA starring Kate Winslet, but I never heard of it.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
"It's where Joe Biden is from!"
Figures. Big Grin

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Report This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Not being from the region it lacks context for me and wasn’t funny because I don’t get the jokes or have familiarity with the accent. I am sure for folks in the NE it might be better.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Go a little further west, to Lancaster County where my Dad is from, and the accent morphs into that Dutchy accent. My dad lost it, but his cousins still have it.

My mom's family is from the coal regions of Pennsylvania, and to my ear, they don't have much of an accent - it is a lot more generic American.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Nailed it. I'm originally from Lebanon County. It's a mix of that accent & a Dutchy one.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Go a little further west, to Lancaster County where my Dad is from, and the accent morphs into that Dutchy accent.

I was out in Lancaster Co last weekend and we were at this ice cream place and there was an older gentleman ahead of us who replied when asked what he wanted "I vill haff a vanayyyla", perfect old school Lancaster Dutchy accent Big Grin

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Go a little further west, to Lancaster County where my Dad is from, and the accent morphs into that Dutchy accent.

I was out in Lancaster Co last weekend and we were at this ice cream place and there was an older gentleman ahead of us who replied when asked what he wanted "I vill haff a vanayyyla", perfect old school Lancaster Dutchy accent Big Grin

Vell nah, did dey giff it to 'im?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My grandfather's accent was fairly mild, But my grandmother died young, and my grandfather later married a really nice woman also from Lancaster, who had the Dutchy accent in full force. My grandfather's name was John (as is mine), and came out almost like "Chaahn."

Hearing that accent always takes me back.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
quote:
quote:

Vell nah, did dey giff it to 'im?

Ja! Big Grin

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Not sure if anyone gathered, but they are spoofing the current sunday night HBO show Mare of Easttown, which stars Kate Winslet and is chock full of the accent and everybody-is-my-cousin.

It is not an accent I'm all that familiar with but it is cool how an accent really conveys a place and lends realism. I always loved the true-Baltimorian accents in The Wire by Prop Joe, Snoop and Lt. Mello (the real life Jay Landsman.)

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
WaWa hoagies Big Grin Wooter accent was off though.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post