SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dead Stinky Something Stuck In My Chimney: Updated, Something Else In There
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dead Stinky Something Stuck In My Chimney: Updated, Something Else In There Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
A bird or bat or something must have gotten into my chimney and died because there is a horrific stench emanating from my fireplace and making the living room basically uninhabitable. Frown

We have a chimney sweep service coming today that hopefully will find whatever it is and get it the hell out of there.

I had a contractor take a look at my roof about 2 weeks ago when he was here looking at my kitchen. I was worried about a small leak in my third floor attic bedroom and he found the issue and while he was up there he remarked that my chimney crown was cracked and the flue pipe was wide open to the sky with no bird guard/rain cap so I'm having him fix that but in the meantime something flew in there, UGH.

Any suggestions on neutralizing the stink after they get this out? a gallon of Fabreeze? Eek

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PASig,

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I’m the guy who would just start a nice hot fire and burn it out. Probably not the best idea, but that’s most likely the route I would take.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4030 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I’m the guy who would just start a nice hot fire and burn it out. Probably not the best idea, but that’s most likely the route I would take.

I'm not sure when there was a fire made in that fireplace last. Many years, it's got some soot in there but I think it's been basically decorative for years now. Original owner had the house built in 1951 and lived there until his death in 2017.

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

Because the only thing better than a stinky dead body in the chimney is a hot, stinky dead body in the chimney plus a flue fire. Big Grin

But I guess you technically would no longer have a stinky house if you burn the house down so... problem solved?

Posts: 32547 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m the guy who would just start a nice hot fire and burn it out. Probably not the best idea, but that’s most likely the route I would take

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hahahaahaha. Great recipe for an attic fire if there is an obstruction. Let the sweep do the job.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Besides, smoked squirrel is said to be high in cholesterol.

Posts: 6505 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I guess it’s glaringly obvious I have never had a fireplace.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4030 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Santa Clause?

https://youtu.be/yQS5nAesfGk

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you sure the contractor from two weeks ago made it down. Wink

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Call a chimney sweep and let him deal with it. As others said, you don’t want a chimney fire, or at the very least, a smoked up house because the chimney won’t draw smoke.

Posts: 17195 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

Are you sure the contractor from two weeks ago made it down. Wink
"Original owner . . . lived there until his death in 2017."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30716 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Besides, smoked squirrel is said to be high in cholesterol.

Where's Eddie? Doesn't he normally eat these things? Clark, he stopped when he found out they are high in cholesterol...

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Call a chimney sweep and let him deal with it. As others said, you don’t want a chimney fire, or at the very least, a smoked up house because the chimney won’t draw smoke.

I would worry about the smoked up house vs a fire,

call a sweep , or do it yourself to be safe and less smokey,

then light up a good fire

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10434 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Well I'll be dammed, that's exactly what it was. Chimney guy fished out a good sized and very ripe dead squirrel from above the damper. Said he probably got in and fell down and wasn't able to get back out. We do have a large squirrel population around here, I hate those furry bastards with a passion. Mad

quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Take a fan and force air up the chimney until you can deal with cleaning the dead out.

Forcing air up should take the dead smell with it and also suck the bad air from the room.

Posts: 18047 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Well I'll be dammed, that's exactly what it was.
You're welcome... Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago my wife and I rented a small apt. and heard some scurrying in the fireplace. At first I thought it was a rat or squirrel. I suited up-leather jacket,motor cycle helmet and gloves- opened the flue and saw two large eyes looking back at me. It was a large Barn Owl. We called the city's animal rescue/removal service and they were able to get it out. It turns out, it's mate died inside the chimney and it stayed with it. It was quite sad as it was a beautiful creature and my wife and I were amazed at how large the wing span was.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I no longer do chimney work I still am a chimney safety institute certified sweep. Let the sweep you’ve hired remove the animal not a big deal we deal with them regularly. You may need to bleach spray the area above your firebox for a few days to remove any residual bacteria and possibly maggots depending how long the dead creature has been there.
As far as having a cap installed Do Not and I repeat do not have a cheap galvanized Home Depot cap installed on your flue. The bolts used to secure the cap tend to start a water trail down your flue and can cause premature flue damage.
Insist your contractor install a cap that secures to the crown of the chimney with both adhesive and silicone driven tapcon screws.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Squirrel!

What a relief, I thought it might be Santa!

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post