SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pregnant mother receives ticket for using HOV lane >>>
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pregnant mother receives ticket for using HOV lane >>> Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

"One ping only..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
The only people who should count towards HOV lane passengers should be licensed drivers. It isn’t like a 12 year old is going to be driving his own car if he isn’t riding in a passenger seat.

But yeah, get rid of those stupid HOV lanes, studies have proven they make traffic worse, and lead to more pollution.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
This thread reminds me of that old joke...

"Can't you give a pregnant woman a break, officer?"
"You don't look very pregnant to me. How far along are you?"
"About 15 minutes."

Posts: 6494 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Having a wife and two kids with her, I have no issue with visibly pregnant women getting to ride in the HOV lane. If its safer for them and the babies thats good enough for me. When we rode the HOV lane together it was always much less traffic.

Big picture, we need to encourage citizen births in this country lest we turn into Europe and have to import Sirians who love our ways and traditions.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
HOV lane checkpoints??? Stopping the flow of traffic and asking people if there is another person in the car....WTF kind of stupidity is this?

In a time when we hear of LEO resource issues, in a time when Texas has an invasion across its borders, in a time when there is an unprecedented flow of drugs across the border, disgusting human/sex trafficking rings, murders and rapes and any number of serious crimes going on - and this is how resources are being used. Stopping people in the HOV lanes and asking them where the second person is. And that goes for any other state that has these lanes wasting precious LEO resources.

I'm with the abolish the HOV lane scam (thank god there are none here.) It's a lane on the highway, paid for by taxpayers.

And tear up her ticket, she had a second "person" in the car - maybe even had a name.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3793 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm in favor of the HOV lanes.

Around here, they're HOV only for a couple of hours in the morning and afternoon and regular lanes the rest of the time.

It really gets me to the airport fast when I'm going out of town with Mrs. Flash.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
HOV lane checkpoints??? Stopping the flow of traffic and asking people if there is another person in the car....WTF kind of stupidity is this?

In a time when we hear of LEO resource issues, in a time when Texas has an invasion across its borders ....{snip}

Never EVER heard of a HOV checkpoint/stop?
Even DUI checkpoint/stops are illegal here in Texas.
If they observe abnormal behavior then they are in their right as LE to investigate.

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
At first blush I thought she was an idiot for such ridiculous reasoning. However, the more I thought about it, the more I tended to agree with her. If the unborn are truly "a person", then why not?

I don't think you can have it both ways. Life beings at conception, right?

Of course you can have both ways. For this purpose, it is entirely logical to distinguish between a baby that has been born and one that has not. Now, the statute involved may not make that distinction, but that is just bad drafting.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
At first blush I thought she was an idiot for such ridiculous reasoning. However, the more I thought about it, the more I tended to agree with her. If the unborn are truly "a person", then why not?

I don't think you can have it both ways. Life beings at conception, right?

Of course you can have both ways. For this purpose, it is entirely logical to distinguish between a baby that has been born and one that has not. Now, the statute involved may not make that distinction, but that is just bad drafting.

“Bad drafting” is exactly the point.

Last year Arizona passed the following law as a justification for an attempt to further restrict abortion prior to the recent Supreme Court decision:

“The laws of this state shall be interpreted and construed to acknowledge, on behalf of an unborn child at every stage of development, all rights, privileges and immunities available to other persons, citizens and residents of this state, subject only to the Constitution of the United States and decisional interpretations thereof by the United States Supreme Court.”

I don’t think they really thought that one through. Roll Eyes

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
If they observe abnormal behavior then they are in their right as LE to investigate.

1. I have heard of cars being stopped in an HOV lane. Never EVER heard of a "checkpoint" - as in multiple officers sole function at that time is stopping all cars in the lane to ask where is the second person. Which from the video sounds like was what was happening, and it also sounded like that was causing a bigger traffic flow issue.
2. As they should be, just like this situation should be.
3. Of course that is reasonable, but let's prioritize resources. Get rid of HOV lanes and checkpoints, and any other BS rules/laws/infractions and focus on the unending list of major crimes.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3793 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

Last year Arizona passed the following law as a justification for an attempt to further restrict abortion prior to the recent Supreme Court decision:

“The laws of this state shall be interpreted and construed to acknowledge, on behalf of an unborn child at every stage of development, all rights, privileges and immunities available to other persons, citizens and residents of this state, subject only to the Constitution of the United States and decisional interpretations thereof by the United States Supreme Court.”

No, they did not. That was political grandstanding.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:

In a time when we hear of LEO resource issues, in a time when Texas has an invasion across its borders ....{snip}

Not so often anymore, since the HOV allows for single passenger toll access.
But, I used to see a motorcycle cop on the 45S HOV, usually just south of FM1960. I suppose if you went by solo, he'd jump on & pull you over.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15358 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
HOV lane violations should have massive fines for occupancy violations...If you are going to play then you have to be ready to pay...Now as concerning the pregnant womans ticket she should fess up and pay it or hire a lawyer to contest the ticket.. Let a judge sort it out.. Do not break the law and you should not get a ticket.... Remember driving is not a "right" but but a "privlidge" if all of the proper laws and rules are followed.............. drill sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 2015 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
HOV lane violations should have massive fines for occupancy violations.

Excessive. Because of the often restricted entry/exit, it is often easy to accidentally get on and be unable to get off.

Fines? Sure.
Massive fines? No

(And no, I don't cheat these stupid things.)

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17467 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

No, they did not. That was political grandstanding.

It was absolutely political grandstanding, but it’s also the current law in Arizona. Arizona Revised Statutes, Title 1, Section 219.

https://www.azleg.gov/viewdocu....gov/ars/1/00219.htm

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Now everyone will have e to rewrite the laws to be more specific because of this Karen.

I haven no problem with laws having to be rewritten so they are actually clear and logical. It's not like legislators have anything better to do, considering none of them earn their pay now.

AGREED!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
When you get right down to it most laws are drafted by idiots.

Posts: 53206 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Moron just doing shit to get her 15 seconds. That's my thought.

Bingo. This is a way to be a petulant asshole and be famous on the internet for a few days. If she wants out of the HOV ticket, she can swap it for no child seat.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post