SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Waterline breaks below skiers on a chair lift.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waterline breaks below skiers on a chair lift. Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
That's crazy and the lift keeps feeding the chairs right into the water bath. Imagine you are drifting right into it and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

I would have jumped off. I still can't figure out why the operator kept putting people directly in the jet?

The operator is nowhere near the incident. He can't see what's going on. He may not even have communications with ski patrol who's on the scene.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obviously this was a freak accident and hopefully everyone in the industry took note .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
That's crazy and the lift keeps feeding the chairs right into the water bath. Imagine you are drifting right into it and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

I would have jumped off. I still can't figure out why the operator kept putting people directly in the jet?

We don't know what was going on with lift-operations. While either end has communications with each other, ski patrol doesn't. Ski patrol would have to contact lift ops directly to connect with that specific lift or, have another patroller at one of the ends to communicate with the lifty on the situation. At the beginning of the video, further down the lift you can see people leaping off their benches before the water column, two of the injured was because they leaped not because of the geyser. Will be an interesting court case between them and the company.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
quote:

We don't know what was going on with lift-operations. While either end has communications with each other, ski patrol doesn't. Ski patrol would have to contact lift ops directly to connect with that specific lift or, have another patroller at one of the ends to communicate with the lifty on the situation. At the beginning of the video, further down the lift you can see people leaping off their benches before the water column, two of the injured was because they leaped not because of the geyser. Will be an interesting court case between them and the company.

I'd risk the fall over the water. I have this problem with not being able to breathe in extremely cold water, there's a high likelihood I would pass out and fall out of the chair.

As far as the operator/ski patrol not having radios, I find that highly unlikely. If that is the case, their insurance company will fix that real quick.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post