SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got lids for those stainless tumblers floating around the cabinet?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got lids for those stainless tumblers floating around the cabinet? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I did. Until yesterday, that is.

We've got a bunch of the knockoff-Yeti tumblers, and keeping the lids organized seems to be harder than herding cats. (Yeah, I know -- keep the lid with the cup. Somehow that's easier said than done in this house. Roll Eyes )

I spent a few minutes with the CAD system yesterday and let the 3D printer run all afternoon. What I got in return is a handy holder for a stack of lids. Easy to load, easy to unload, and with a small piece of that rubbery drawer-liner stuff beneath it, it doesn't slide around the cabinet shelf.

Simple and cheesy, but it works. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Well done. I keep falling out of practice with Fusion and have to figure out how to do things all over again when I need to design something.

I find the mini lathe and the hands on thing less frustrating.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Mini lathe? Cool!
The old Bridgeport and I can get along okay, but my lathe skills are... how you say...? "Crap." Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Mini lathe? Cool!
The old Bridgeport and I can get along okay, but my lathe skills are... how you say...? "Crap." Big Grin
Oh, I’m no good at it but when little plastic things break a can at least make a close-enough out of metal.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Put it on Etsy, and people will buy them. I’d buy a few now.

Posts: 5723 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Aglifter: email me, please. Smile

God bless America.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Mini lathe? Cool!

I took a machine shop class back in the 90's

learnt how to use a lathe and mill, from an instructor that was literally an ex NASA machinist,

when one of us screwed up, or showed lesser skills than he expected and knew we could do, we were all called Cobblers,

that was quite often, some days,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Email sent.

Posts: 5723 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Neat concept, nice work.
Only snag would be that we have 2, maybe 3, sizes of lids, so you'd have to remove the smaller ones to get to the bigger ones, if you stacked them by size.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Neat concept, nice work.
Only snag would be that we have 2, maybe 3, sizes of lids

Good point. I know there are two sizes in my own cabinet. What diameters are in yours? Looks like I have some multi-model work ahead. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
when one of us screwed up, or showed lesser skills than he expected and knew we could do, we were all called Cobblers,

At a previous job I was getting some "Bridgeport time," and my boss said -- in that classic, dry British humor -- "oh! Blacksmithing today, are ye?!" I laughed, not really being familiar with the disparaging term, and the boss went on wherever he was going.

When I started this job (a loooong time ago) I was talking with one of the toolmakers and he said something about blacksmiths. It was THEN that I realized what Mr. British Boss had really said to me. Big Grin

God bless America.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'll have to check, I'm at the office & have 2 on my desk, both measure 3.5" at the widest.
One is a Coleman shorty & the other is a standard Yeti-sized & unbranded.

I've got a couple of the XL Yeti-like cups at home, but they're all packed up for the impending move. But, they definitely have a larger diameter.

Maybe a 2 or 3 size model on a lazy-Susan type spinner. But, that would start getting to bulky footprint.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
The lazy Susan idea is attractive, but you make a very good point about the footprint of it. I'm thinking I'd just modify the design to suit the larger lid and work with two separate models.

God bless America.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Stacked & angled setup?
Lower for larger lids, upper for smaller.
Slightly larger footprint, move of an oval base, just takes a bit more height

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Could I paypal you a few for the printer file?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^
I'll happily send you the file. Cool
Do you want that in .STL, or .STP?

quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Stacked & angled setup?
Lower for larger lids, upper for smaller.
Slightly larger footprint, move of an oval base, just takes a bit more height

I think I see where you're headed. I'll try to get some time to sketch it this afternoon.

God bless America.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Good thinking, and nice design! Smile

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

4MUL8R: you have email, sir.

God bless America.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Aglifter, there's a package headed your way.

God bless America.