SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    U.S. Army to conduct unconventional warfare exercise
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. Army to conduct unconventional warfare exercise Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://myfox8.com/news/north-...al-warfare-exercise/

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (WNCN) – U.S. Army Special Forces candidates will take part in the final test of their qualification training later this month in an exercise that will cross much of central North Carolina.

The Robin Sage training exercise will take place Jan. 22-Feb. 4 with students from the U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School at Fort Bragg.

Members of the military and civilians take part in Robin Sage as Special Forces students face opposing forces of the fictional nation of “Pineland.”

Parts of Robin Sage will be held in the following North Carolina counties:

Alamance, Anson, Bladen, Brunswick, Cabarrus, Chatham, Columbus, Cumberland, Davidson, Guilford, Harnett, Hoke, Lee, Montgomery, Moore, New Hanover, Randolph, Richmond, Robeson, Rowan, Sampson, Scotland, Stanly, Union, and Wake counties.

The training will also stretch into Chesterfield, Dillon, and Marlboro counties in South Carolina.

Military members will pose as opposing forces and guerrilla freedom fighters, also known as Pineland’s resistance movement.

In order to maintain a level of realism, blank gunfire and flares are used in the training, the Army said.

The Army has been in contact with local public safety officials ahead of the training.

“Controls are in place to ensure there is no risk to persons or property. Residents with concerns should contact local law enforcement officials, who will immediately contact exercise control officials,” Fort Bragg officials said in a release.

The Army said the following measures have been implemented:

Formal written notification to the chiefs of law enforcement agencies in the affected counties, with a follow-up visit from a unit representative.
All civilian and non-student military participants are briefed on procedures to follow if there is contact with law enforcement officials.
Students will only wear civilian clothes if the situation warrants, as determined by the instructors, and will wear a distinctive brown armband during these instances.
Training areas and vehicles used during exercises are clearly labeled.

During 2002’s training, Deputy Sheriff Randall Butler shot and killed 1st L.t Tallas Tomeny and wounded Staff Sgt. Stephen Phelps after the deputy saw their behavior as suspicious. Butler was unaware the training was occurring.

“Robin Sage is the U.S. military’s premiere unconventional warfare exercise and the final test of over a year’s worth of training for aspiring Special Forces Soldiers. Candidates are placed in an environment of political instability characterized by armed conflict, forcing Soldiers to analyze and solve problems to meet the challenges of this “real-world” training,” the Army said in a release.

Robin Sage has been conducted since 1974.

Posts: 19609 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happens all the time. Nothing to worry about unless your tinfoil hat is on too tight.

The do mention that accident back in '02 in the article. That was a horrible accident that could have been avoided.

Them Green-Beanie Hopefuls are going to freeze their asses off in them hills Jan-Feb. Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8369 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Happens all the time. Nothing to worry about unless your tinfoil hat is on too tight.

The do mention that accident back in '02 in the article. That was a horrible accident that could have been avoided.

hard to believe its been 20 years since that incident.

but yes -- Robin sage has been a 'standard' exercise since forever. They do try to 'publicize' it a bit to create an awareness with the general public.

Possibility of unusual pyrotechnics, booms, military vehicles, aircraft over-flights, gunfire (blanks), etc. in use on non-government-owned locations.

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Drat! Orange County's not on the list. Frown

I guess we're too conventional....

Posts: 15040 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^not enough pine thickets.

Or maybe not enough tinfoil.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
It is worth noting that the freedom fighters in ROBIN SAGE are the good guys, the Special Forces students in the graduating class practicing irregular warfare against a totalitarian regime.

The media outlet (Drudge) that ran the headline about the exercise was just trying to incite conspiracy theorists... We have enough to worry about without that sort of nonsense.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
My old stomping grounds!

I would have joined up with the resistance just to be a part of something so cool!

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Happens all the time.

quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
yes -- Robin sage has been a 'standard' exercise since forever.

Exactly. This same Robin Sage exercise has been held every year since 1974. It's basically the weeks-long final exam for prospective Green Berets at the end of the Special Forces Qualification Course.

The SF students form into small teams to infiltrate the "foreign country" of "Pineland" (actually an area spanning several counties in central North Carolina) and train groups of "guerillas" (roleplayers) to conduct simulated missions to liberate Pineland from its "totalitarian regime" (OPFOR roleplayers).

Posts: 32565 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Long live Pineland!

Posts: 14704 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RoverSig:

...The media outlet (Drudge) that ran the headline about the exercise was just trying to incite conspiracy theorists... We have enough to worry about without that sort of nonsense.

At the beginning of his morning radio show Glen Beck hinted he would tell a similar tale of conspiracy. I changed the station.

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know how anyone can be so crazy.

It's not like Robin Sage is new or covert in any way. I read about it when I was in middle school in a book by, I think, Douglas Waller called The Commandos.

I mean I know not everyone is into militaria, but it was in the public domain at least 3 decades ago in the kinds of books that sit on Barnes and Noble shelves.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I don't know how anyone can be so crazy.

It's not like Robin Sage is new or covert in any way. I read about it when I was in middle school in a book by, I think, Douglas Waller called The Commandos.

I mean I know not everyone is into militaria, but it was in the public domain at least 3 decades ago in the kinds of books that sit on Barnes and Noble shelves.

Like much of the conversations these days with people outside of our common circles, there's been an endless parade of 'news stories' or, 'issues to discuss/bring awareness to' that are known, its documented, non-issues or, settled-issues from history. The people that present these or, take issue with, are idiots; it's as if they believe they've re-discovered fire.

Posts: 14704 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by RoverSig:

...The media outlet (Drudge) that ran the headline about the exercise was just trying to incite conspiracy theorists... We have enough to worry about without that sort of nonsense.

At the beginning of his morning radio show Glen Beck hinted he would tell a similar tale of conspiracy. I changed the station.

There’s a reason I stopped listening to that chuckle head.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Conspiracy theory...like how Jade Helm back in 2015 was a joint US - Chinese op to disarm Americans, Jade = China and Helm = Homeland Eradication of Local Militants

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Long live Pineland!

Hahaha, I used to work with a retired snake eater, whenever Robin Sage rolled around in NC, he would say the same thing. We were cops in Wilson, about an hour and a half north of Fayetteville .

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^

Older codger? Likes long range shooting? Owns a range?

Wonder if we know the same guy. Know the cop part, but not sure about the other part.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Long live Pineland!

That’s where I live!!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6338 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
^^^

Older codger? Likes long range shooting? Owns a range?

Wonder if we know the same guy. Know the cop part, but not sure about the other part.

Naw, He retired from the Army and joined the cops immediately, first name is Rickey and he’s a truck driver now..collecting two retirements and still working in NC.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Robin Sage is such a part of the local economy that some of the long time civilian residents play the same parts every year. Not much of a secrect, never mind a conspiracy.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I've trained at Bragg and must say the exercises there are so much better than the other exercises I've done. The role players they hire are top notch. A lot of them are retired military looking to make some extra money and still be able to interact with the community they served with for so long.

The facilities at Bragg are also top notch. I guess that SOF pot of money is deeper than the rest of the Army. LOL.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post