SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The cars that did a million miles - on one engine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The cars that did a million miles - on one engine Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
For the Automobile Folks;
Click through it.
Some surprised me.
Enjoy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/auto...cid=msedgdhp#image=1

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The Hyundai Elantra surprised me and so did the brush guard on it.

I did have to chuckle at the 96 ram 2500 that went through several transmissions

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
#11 was my first thought. I remember mention of a Greek taxi with well over 1M miles.

My 240D was an '82 & had over 300k on it when the rear end was compacted by an F150

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many transmissions on the trucks though.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to a Honda Prelude rally down in Maryland I think it was 2000. Met a guy there who went by the username "Highmileage". He had a 1st Gen Prelude with over a 1,000,000 miles on it. Still looked decent.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Years ago I read of a Ford truck, the owner had s rural delivery route of sorts, daily round trip between Memphis and Chattanooga (ish), roughly 600 miles a day, Mon thru Fri. Every Sat morning he would change the oil. After 1M miles Ford gave him a new truck (for marketing purposes).

(A little different than the USPS driver who has taken a week to go 40 miles and still hasn't delivered my package.)

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Interesting that the Tundra was turned over to Toyota and he was given a new Tundra in return.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Marketing man. Toyota isn’t stupid. That’s a whole lot of marketing potential at a fairly inexpensive cost.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Not sure why, since they are kinda clunky looking, but I've always loved the 240's looks. I planned on buying one for my wife when I finished grad school, but they'd moved on to newer models by then and the wife never liked Volvos much anyhow.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Had a number of Volvos and liked them all.
First was a 1973 Volvo 142- two door, B20F (4 cylinder) engine, 4-speed manual transmission with overdrive, 4 wheel disc brakes, 3-point seat belts... all in 1973.
Put 239 thousand miles on it, on the original engine/transmission. Did replace a water pump and have an alternator rebuilt. Pulled trailers/lowboys/boats with it frequently.
Great car I wish I could have kept. Sold as it didn't have AC and Wilmington NC with no AC was... well, you know.

This is it buried in snow-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
My 240D was an '82 & had over 300k on it when the rear end was compacted by an F150

The Mercedes 240D was a great car.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure that claiming a rebuilt engine as the 'original' engine is quite kosher.

It's like saying I've had this same broom 20 years, 5 new handles and 6 new heads.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
The Volvo 1800S pops up in every one of these articles. Too bad the owner died in 2018; I bet he'd be closing in on 4 million miles by now.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Volvo 1800S (1966)
The grand-daddy of all private high-mileage vehicles is Irv Gordon’s Volvo 1800S.

This car was on Wayne Carini's show, he helped the daughters with it.

You can see it on MotorTrend on Demand and other video on youtoob...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
First was a 1973 Volvo 142- two door, B20F (4 cylinder) engine, 4-speed manual transmission with overdrive, 4 wheel disc brakes, 3-point seat belts... all in 1973.

And a trunk just the right size for a keg.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
You are spot on...

Now this is a real trunk- even had space for TWO spares... one on each side in many of the models.

I miss those 140 and 240 Series Volvos. The wagon had a 44" width rear cargo opening and could handle an entire couch.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I know that is not the actual Silverado #5, but man, what a gorgeous truck.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Not sure why, since they are kinda clunky looking, but I've always loved the 240's looks. I planned on buying one for my wife when I finished grad school, but they'd moved on to newer models by then and the wife never liked Volvos much anyhow.

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

The Mercedes 240D was a great car.

Mine was the slowest car I've ever driven, but mine was extremely clean for being 20 yrs old (at the time) with over 300k on it.
Could shake a martini on the dash at idle & 0-60 happened in 'maybe' (double-digits for sure), but I genuinely miss it.

It took a 40mph speed differential impact to rear & you could still open/close the rear doors without issue.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Those were made in some of the last years when they really made cars (without spending 100k). On those Mercedes you could gently shut the door from about 3" away and it would "click" and lock perfectly. I had an old 60's 190 diesel with 4 on the column, the thermometer speedometer and the foot pump for windshield washer. Built like a tank.

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
and the foot pump for windshield washer.

Learn something everyday! I've driven all sorts of weird and old stuff. Never have I seen that.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post