SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The cars that did a million miles - on one engine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The cars that did a million miles - on one engine Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I know that is not the actual Silverado #5, but man, what a gorgeous truck.

That was exactly my thought when I saw it as well. Drop dead gorgeous...makes me miss my old '94 W/T. Just a basic truck...everything I needed, nothing I didn't. I have no problem believing one could manage 1,000,000 miles, either. I currently have a suburban with almost 400K on it, and a Silverado with 220K. I've never been able to kill a Chevy truck drivetrain...our Salt-encrusted winter roads and humidity always eat away the bodies long before the powerplant gives up the ghost.

One of these days I'm going to go out west or down south and pick up a mid-70s variant that's not all rusted out to wrench on and daily drive.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
That was exactly my thought when I saw it as well. Drop dead gorgeous...makes me miss my old '94 W/T. Just a basic truck...everything I needed, nothing I didn't. I have no problem believing one could manage 1,000,000 miles, either. I currently have a suburban with almost 400K on it, and a Silverado with 220K. I've never been able to kill a Chevy truck drivetrain...our Salt-encrusted winter roads and humidity always eat away the bodies long before the powerplant gives up the ghost.

One of these days I'm going to go out west or down south and pick up a mid-70s variant that's not all rusted out to wrench on and daily drive.

My first truck was 1988, reg cab, long bed Chevy. Two tone blue. It wasn't without it's trouble but the styling was fantastic. One day after the kids are grown I'll be back to a reg cab bench seat truck.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
We had a lemon of a Volvo 240DL growing up. Problems from the start.

Last I remember, it was around 80k when it was finally donated.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
and the foot pump for windshield washer.

Learn something everyday! I've driven all sorts of weird and old stuff. Never have I seen that.

Of course- I am old, I guess.

Speedometer was vertical and changed colors as your speed increased. We called them the "Speedometer thermometer"...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friend had a 50’s something Mercedes Limousine. One feature it had was a floor button/pedal that pumped grease to the various joints in the suspension system.

Anyone know of this feature on anything else?

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Friend had a 50’s something Mercedes Limousine. One feature it had was a floor button/pedal that pumped grease to the various joints in the suspension system.

Anyone know of this feature on anything else?

I've seen English cars, maybe some Morgans or TVRs had oil pipes that pumped engine oil to front suspension pivot bearings.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
We had a lemon of a Volvo 240DL growing up. Problems from the start.

Last I remember, it was around 80k when it was finally donated.

With all due respect to Rinehart, I just posted on another forum that my brand new 1973 Volvo 142 was the hands down, worst piece of crap I ever owned. That's saying something - I owned a 65 Corvair, a Bronco II, an Opel Manta and several other jewels. If Rinehart has a good one, good for him. He is a fortunate man.

Posts: 687 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Whew, AITG- sorry to hear that. It does happen, but keep in mind I guess I am talking about the older Volvos.
I notice you are in salt country... Hmmm. (My family came from/some still in Fraser/Grand Rapids/Chesterfield areas).

I actually (back in the 80's/early 90's) used to own part of a business where we did restorations and general work on English and Swedish cars.
I've probably owned and sold 30+ Volvos in most all series over those years. Even brought back from the dead several that had engine fires. I used to rebuild about 4 Volvo engines a year myself on the side. (I do have to note that the majority of these were 140, 160, P1800, 240, 260, and 700 and some 900 series).

Those of us that have part oil in our blood know that there are just some cars that come with gremlins. I know I have scratched my head on some of the MGBs and similar dealing with Lucas the Dark Lord. Nothing like hitting a bump in the road at night whist driving 55 and having the headlights go out. Land Rovers, too...

The main issues I've seen with older Volvos were electrical for the most part. Salt can be a factor. Lost or floating grounds and the like. Kinda thing where when you click the turn signal on your dash lights flash and other weird things like the temp gauge popping up and down. All of the 240 series had kinda buggy rear light bulb sockets and this was made worse by people putting larger than spec bulbs in them, melting lenses, sockets, etc.

But generally they were built (and looked like) tanks. Won't speak on any reliability built after the 900 series, though... As I said, I guess I'm getting old.

My oldest son has an Volvo S80 T6 where to replace the windshield washer reservoir (which frequently leaks) you have to take the entire front grill/light/bumper assembly off of the car. It does make me wonder just who designed something like that...
To change a simple? rear view mirror it requires reprogramming the security fob/system which is @#$#@$@$ glued to the back of the review mirror glass itself.
VERY different from the simplicity of the earlier models.
I think the modern Volvo line is designed by committees.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

.... I have no problem believing one could manage 1,000,000 miles, either. I currently have a suburban with almost 400K on it, and a Silverado with 220K. I've never been able to kill a Chevy truck drivetrain...our Salt-encrusted winter roads and humidity always eat away the bodies long before the powerplant gives up the ghost.

This is all very true. My current assigned government vehicle is a 2008 Chevy Tahoe. It is just about to hit 200,000 miles (it’s just under 199,000 right now). This truck still runs nice and smooth and the only somewhat expensive repair that it has needed was a rebuilt rear end at about 180,000 miles. It’s a police vehicle that’s driven hard and often at or near the speed limiter. I’ve got no problem hopping in it and driving across the state to respond at high speed, or even a few states away. The undercarriage is actually in pretty good shape too, largely due to the fact that I park it inside my garage I’m sure. There’s only one little rust spot on the hood that you’d have to look for in order to see it (it was caused by paint wear from repeated bug strikes). I would absolutely have no problem owning a Tahoe or Suburban and always highly recommend them to someone looking for a full sized suv. I’m not brand loyal and have owned trucks from all the American companies in the last 8 years as well as a Mercedes G550 and currently a Toyota Landcruiser. While I believe that the Landcruiser is the best built, most thoroughly engineered, highest quality vehicle I’ve ever sat by butt in, I think as far as trucks go my Chevy trucks have been the most trouble free. Admittedly I’ve had good luck with all of them but I don’t think my last Chevy even ever had a recall.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
A friend bought a 2003 Corolla from a courier company for whom he did their vehicle maintenance. At the time it had 395k on the original engine and was whisper quiet still. Last I heard he was pushing 600k and still nary a hitch. If he keeps it I’d wager that car will break 1 million easily.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post