SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Portable generator. Generac vs NorthStar/Honda
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable generator. Generac vs NorthStar/Honda Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking for a replacement portable generator. My house is wired with a transfer switch to power the furnace, some lights, refrigerator, freezer, well pump, and some outlets. Filling out the form on the Generac website shows a generator capable of approximately 10,000 watts is needed.

The options include a Generac XG1000E (10,000/12,500surge) or a Northstar w/Honda engine (10,500/13,000). They are similar in price, size and weight. Generac claims to be US made, but Honda has a great reputation too.

Any experiences or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have a Generac 22k standby unit and a Brand X portable 5kw that run on propane. I am very happy with them. Propane won’t deteriorate in storage.

Posts: 26911 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
My neighbor 4 doors down has a Honda with I believe the same or similar numbers. He is well satisfied with it. I have a Duromax 12,000/10,000 dual fuel. Used it just once for just over 3 hours apart from the initial test. Ran like a champ. Duromax has PG's that up to 15,000 peak, 12,000 running. Dual fuel. Another option to consider. Just sayin'.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
All I know is Generac isn't the company it once was.

Years ago I bought a Generac 4000XL. Now, with our bigger water pump, it's overloaded. Wishing I'd paid extra for the 6000XL at the time, because last time I checked they no longer made a gasoline generator that supplied clean AC power and didn't have built-in protection that caused it to glitch and drop power when connected to transfer switches.

My Lord, their web site is crap.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Why 10kw? Do you know the inlet size and current breaker size? Most set ups are for 30A and are too small for 10kw generators. You will want to make sure you don't need to upgrade breaker, wire, and inlet box, also your transfer switch could also be a limiting factor as well. Don't make a purchase decision until you confirm this or you may be forced to upgrade which will add additional costs.

Also you can power a lot at 7.5kw, especially if you are smart on how you run loads. Another consideration is gas storage. 7.5 will obviously use substantially less gas. With generators bigger isn't always better.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^

The main breaker on the transfer panel(generator side) is 50a

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I have the Northstar. I run it off gasoline but it will run off propane and NG. I've had it for 15 years or so and it was gotten me through several major power outages, one lasting 11 days. No complaints.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I have a portable Generac and as the saying goes " If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" . Take this for what it's worth. Go with the Honda.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^^^^^

The main breaker on the transfer panel(generator side) is 50a

Check and see if the inlet box says L14-50 on it and that the wire gauge from inlet to generator breaker is size #8Cu, preferably #6, but #8 will work. If so you are good to go. Also compare generator plug to inlet plug, you may need an adapter or to make your own cable.

What are the largest two simultaneously running loads you would ever have?

I can't advise on generator brands, but if you have any questions on sizing, connecting, or loads then shoot me an email.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

Good call.

I was thrown off by the 50a main on the transfer switch. The inlet box is L14-30 and the feed wire is 10-3.

Given that limitation, your initial recommendation of a ~7,500 watt generator seems very appropriate.

I'm leaning toward the Generac XT8000EFI not only for the lack of a carburetor to gum up, but also like the dual electric/rope start, built in battery charger, hour meter and idle control.

http://www.generac.com/all-pro.../xt-series/xt8000efi

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MNSIG,

Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
My company bought a Honda-powered LP generator from Central Maine Diesel. It did very well for us as a backup for our freezers until we had a whole suite generator installed.

https://www.centralmainediesel...ator.asp?page=H04590

To get the autostart option (extra $500) you have to get the 10 kw generator, but we didnt opt for that.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
I just put a Kohler 14kw propane standby in service on my off grid system. It is the backup power source for cloudy days or other unforeseen problems. It's not apples to apples as far as standby grid tied, but some things are constant.

The issue of note that I recommend you research is your elevation vs. efficiency loss. My generator is listed as 14kw, but is actually a 12kw 50amp unit. Installed at my location of 6000ft elevation I have to derate it down to 28amps. AKA, I can still use it for my application, but I cannot put a larger than 28amp load on the unit. Also, some manufacturers derate their generators by a percentage over certain temperatures.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post