SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flying w/ Firearm (Edit- One New Question down page)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying w/ Firearm (Edit- One New Question down page) Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’ve flown with the blue plastic cases my Sigs came in with no trouble. I put locks through each of the holes and used one of the locks to a cable wrapped around a metal part of the soft sided luggage. I’ve also used a Pelican rifle case as a suit case with clothes wrapped around my knives and guns. Again, I used my own locks. I did once get called over the PA to come unlock the case for TSA. Apparently, packing my computer and all the associated cords and wires in it also set off a red flag.

The only other time I had an issue, a ticket agent hassled me about the deer sausage and jerky I had in the case. She claimed it wasn’t allowed. She called a TSA agent, he looked it over, and said no problem.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Trapper's post reminds me of a good point.

If you're flying with firearms, it's probably a good idea to give yourself an extra half hour at check-in. Sometimes there's only one ticketing agent that knows the firearms policy and handles check-ins with firearms, or somebody wants TSA to check something, or whatever. It can consume a fair amount of extra time.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
He can ship the gun to himself thru UPS or FedEx (but only at a hub). No ammo though.

I have done this many times. Ship to my name in car of my friend's address.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
do not take ANY firearm related accessories through security.
Is empty holster OK in a carry-on bag, with handgun in checked luggage?

While holsters are listed as OK in carry-on, I recommend you put it in your checked luggage just to reduce questions.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
Certainly if you have say an expensive optic take that with you, that's fine. All the other stuff that has the look of "firearm" or "hunter" just put it in your checked in and save yourself the any possible hassle. I'll even go so far as to field strip the firearm before putting it in the case, which then goes in another bag. Lessen your hassle and pay it forward for the next person who travels prepared I guess is one way to look at it. I want TSA to concentrate on the portable hair curler's.

In addition your contact info attached to the hard case and carry a copy of the TSA information.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your input.
As it turns out, since my friend is unable to fill out forms w/ broken wrists and he's going to be back in NC in 3 months, he's going to leave the pistol w/ friends and not deal w/ it in his current state.
It has been a good refresher.
Thanks again.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC3S:

carry a copy of the TSA information.
Yes, the TSA information, and also a copy of the airline's policy, as it's entirely possible to encounter a check-in person who does not know his / her own company policies.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have to change aircraft in a non-friendly state such as New York, be careful. A cancelled flight requiring one to retrieve the baggage and overnight, has turned costly

That was actually Newark International.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
If you have to change aircraft in a non-friendly state such as New York, be careful. A cancelled flight requiring one to retrieve the baggage and overnight, has turned costly

That was actually Newark International.

There are two cases that I can think of out of Newark, especially the one that worked it's way through both the 3rd DC and 3rd AC. That one gets the attention. There have been others out of LaGuardia. Keep in mind that all three are policed by the same agency, two of these airports are in the confines of NYC, let alone NYS.

Traveller beware.

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by DC3S:

carry a copy of the TSA information.
Yes, the TSA information, and also a copy of the airline's policy, as it's entirely possible to encounter a check-in person who does not know his / her own company policies.

Good point. Here is an examp-le of what you are looking for.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel...s-and-ammunition.jsp

Firearms and ammunition

Traveling with firearms and ammunition

Laws on the possession of firearms differ between states and countries. Please check the requirements of your destination before you travel. Contact Reservations for international travel requirements and if any portion of your trip is operated by another carrier.

Reservations and ticket changes

Requirements
Within the U.S., you can only travel with firearms and ammunition, including pellet and BB guns, in your checked bags if you’re over 18 years old. You must check them with an agent at check-in and declare that you’re traveling with firearms and ammunition.

Firearms must be:

Unloaded
In a locked hard-sided container where the firearm is totally inaccessible
Rifle cases require locks on each end
Ammunition must be:

In the original packaging from the manufacturer or in packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition (made of fiber, wood or metal), with a maximum of 11 pounds (5 kgs) per container or customer. Ammunition is not accepted loose or in magazines or clips.

Watch the TSA Traveling with Firearms video Opens another site in a new window that may not meet accessibility guidelines

Allowance
There is no limit to the number of items you can carry in your rifle, shotgun or pistol case, but bag and oversize / overweight charges may apply.

Oversize and overweight bags

Restrictions
Loose ammunition, magazines or clips and firearms are not accepted when traveling to or from Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago (POS).