SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remember The Philly Soda Tax?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remember The Philly Soda Tax? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Well, it's a bust and the people that pushed for it and got it passed are admitting openly now that it's not working.

You would think they would want to repeal it, right?

You'd be wrong; they want to keep it AND now raise everyone's property taxes in the city of Philadelphia to make up for it.

Friggen' Democrats! Mad

This does not affect me as I do not live in the city, but I know some of you here do and I have family and friends that do.

Posts: 33832 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Demo-rats just love fleecing their constituents, don't they? Too bad a lot of honest folk (read non-liberals) will get caught up in the "failure tax" as well.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15601 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Link?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33832 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Link?

Philly soda tax revenue falling short, city adjusts plans for pre-K and other programs

You linked back to your own post...

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
they want to keep it AND now raise everyone's property taxes in the city of Philadelphia to make up for it.

Not that they care about unfair taxes... but hey, why don't we get a grant to show that property owners drink less soda than non-owners.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

You linked back to your own post...

Fixed.

posted Hide Post
Idiots.
Exposing dems for the opportunists that they are.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Heeeey they should tax cigarette sales and use the money to pay for low income children's healthcare.....they could call it CHIT....er sumpthin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
They need to hire that finance minister from South Africa. He will fix all their problems.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kenney Proposes 6 Percent Property Tax Increase To Fund City Schools

And people bitching that Kenney is only raising property taxes? Is there something that they can do that effects only residents (including those that rent)? Let them pay for their own shitty public schools.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no sympathy for them at all. They voted for these jackasses, now they can experience what they voted for.

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
how about the people that proposed the tax make up the shortfall out of their own pockets

there should be a price for stupidity

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53205 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Seattle has passed the same stupid tax. The claim is that it will cut consumption and, at the same time raise lots of money. Worse, they have already budgeted the money they expect to make.
Seattle has the gun/ammunition tax that was also supposed to raise up to $500,000 in the first year. The actual amount was lesss then $200,000 and at least one gun store has moved out of the city.

https://www.seattletimes.com/s...00000-in-first-year/
https://www.cagw.org/thewastew...x-not-doing-too-well

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Leftism, the preferred mentality of bullies because it is less painful to kill you than to admit to being wrong.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
The claim is that it will cut consumption and, at the same time raise lots of money.

What economics principles do these people base their reasoning on?

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16404 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
they went to the Bernie Sanders School of Economics

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53205 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
The soda tax in Cook County was already repealed. It started on August 2, 2017 and ended on December 1, 2017.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
doesn't PA also have the occupation privilege/right-to-work tax or something like that still?

I agree with what nhtagmember said earlier...
the sponsors of the tax should foot the shortfall

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter/SIL hated Philly so bad, he took a masters instead of finishing his PhD at Temple, and they moved to Indiana. They work for the same company now in near Purdue. It's such a liberal work site, they got the day off after the presidential election to mourn, I kid you not. Paid. SIL is still laughing.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post