New
Find
Notify
Tools
Butkus dies Login/Join 
posted
What a linebacker. Dead at 80.

OCTOBER 5, 2023 / 6:30 PM / CBS CHICAGO

CHICAGO (CBS) -- Chicago Bears and all-around NFL legend Dick Butkus has died, the team confirmed Thursday.

"The Butkus family confirms that football and entertainment legend Dick Butkus died peacefully in his sleep overnight at home in Malibu, California.

"The Butkus family is gathering with Dick's wife Helen. They appreciate your prayers and support.

"Additional information will be provided when it is available."

Richard Marvin Butkus, who played for the Bears from 1965 until 1973 and was an iconic representative of the team for generations, was 80 years old. Known as the "Maestro of Mayhem," Butkus was Chicago through-and-through, starring on and off the field.

He died in his sleep overnight in Malibu, California.

Butkus was born Dec. 9, 1942, to a Lithuanian American family in the Fernwood neighborhood on Chicago's Far South Side. He was the youngest of nine children.

Butkus' website notes that he already knew he was going to be a professional football player by the time he was in fifth grade.

"I worked hard at becoming one, just like society says you should," Butkus was quoted on its website. "It (society) said you had to be fierce. I was fierce. Tough. I was tough."

Butkus became a star football player at Chicago Vocational High School, and at the University of Illinois – where he enrolled in 1961. By his junior year in 1963, he had already made 145 tackles and forced 10 fumbles, his website said.

He led the Fighting Illini to the Big Ten Championship that year – and they finished the season ranked third in the nation, his website said. The Illini beat Washington 17-7 in the Rose Bowl that year.

Butkus was unanimously named All-American in 1964 – playing both sides of the ball a center on offense and a linebacker on defense, his website said. He later had his University of Illinois jersey, No. 50, retired – and is only one of two players to have received such an honor there, his website said.

His impact was so great that the Dick Butkus Award is now annually given to the top college linebacker in the country.

Butkus was drafted into the NFL by the Bears in 1965 – wearing jersey No. 51. He had 11 solo tackles in his first game, his website reported.
LINK: https://www.cbsnews.com/chicag...ago-bears-icon-obit/

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Beat me by a minute. Was a staple of my youth. My little League coach played for the Bears back in the day.

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...350019305#9350019305

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107715 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post