SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Maryland Fatal Police Shooting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maryland Fatal Police Shooting Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
What's that about bringing a knife to a gunfight?

Maryland police release footage of fatal police shooting

Maryland police have released body camera footage of an officer fatally shooting a man who rushed toward him with a knife.

The shooting happened Thursday in White Oak, just outside Washington. The officer involved in the shooting was identified as Montgomery County Police Sgt. David Cohen. The department released the video Friday.

“Put the knife down!” Cohen, with his gun drawn, is heard screaming as the man runs toward him and then stops before backing away. “Get on the ground! I don’t want to shoot you!” Cohen shouts just before the man starts running at him a second time. Moments later, the officer shoots the man in the chest. Five gunshots can be heard on the video. Authorities identified the man who was shot as Finan Berhe, 30, of White Oak. Police said the knife Berhe was brandishing was recovered at the scene.

A neighbor of Berhe’s had called 911 to report that Berhe had thrown a rock at his window and had told him “to call the police,” The Washington Post reported. Montgomery County Police Chief Marcus Jones said Cohen rendered first aid to Berhe, who died at the hospital, the paper reported.

Prosecutors from neighboring Howard County, under a standing agreement to review each other’s police shootings, are investigating, according to the paper. Berhe was black; the officer is white. Cohen, a 17-year veteran of the department, was placed on administrative leave, a standard procedure after a police shooting.

Fox News

(Follow the link to see the complete video. Warning: Graphic)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16376 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Suicide by cop.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who heard six shots and saw six cases in the air?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Suicide by cop.

No doubt about it. The fact that he had a neighbor call 911 before he was confronted by the cop pretty much proves it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Did he fire 6 shots, or only 5?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16376 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
As he accelerated toward the police officer he said
"Don't miss" loud & empathically .
At time 1:22
5 shoots I am sure of plus the knife striking the ground.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I'm counting 5

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2010 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

PERFECT!

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 369 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLC762:
quote:
quote:

PERFECT!

I counted 5, guess he was unlucky.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
" Berhe was black; the officer is white. "

Is this really necesary? Race baiting "journalism" at its finest.

Posts: 1041 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustyblade:
5 shoots I am sure of plus the knife striking the ground.

That is what I heard also

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14187 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I gotsta know.

Posts: 10850 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post