SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much would you spend on a car repair
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much would you spend on a car repair Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The amount I'd spend depends on a number of factors including how reliable or unreliable has the vehicle been prior to the issue in question, whether the vehicle is still solid or rusting apart, price of a suitable replacement vehicle, and so forth. The actual book value of the vehicle wouldn't come into play whatsoever.

I would also shop around for a few independent diagnoses. You'd want a second opinion about a serious medical diagnosis, you should insist on at least a second opinion about a serious vehicle diagnosis also. If multiple independent shops reach the same conclusion, it at least helps the confidence level that you're putting the money on the correct repair.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Any update?

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any update?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Same status as suspicious spider bite.LOL

Posts: 17529 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll know tomorrow. I took the car in for the repair and it will be completed tomorrow morning. I'll post the results then.

Posts: 5795 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANKS

Posts: 17529 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
I would spend the $1500.00 if the car isn't nickel and diming you to death. That is way less expensive than buying a new or used car. Also your insurance won't go up like it might if you bought a different car.

This, I would spend the money once. If something else major happens in a year or two, then I'd probably be looking for a new car.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked the car up this morning. It runs great. I've been driving it around for awhile just to see if any malfunctions occur. It works as it should. So assuming that I won't have any problems with it, I think I made the right call and went ahead with the repair.

Posts: 5795 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
If the rest of the car is as you say ....... thats a known. Buying a used car is an unknown. Of course buying new would be nice but maybe not in the cards. I'd go for the 1500.00 and start planning for a new car way down the road. Good luck. Pickle Rick.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post