SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much would you spend on a car repair
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much would you spend on a car repair Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I would spend any amount if I didn’t have to see another vague thread title. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4018 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
First what is the transmission doing, slipping? Second what code number is coming up? Without knowing the code it's hard to say what to do.

You may consider getting a JDM transmission from Japan. Then have local shop do the install. I got a JDM Honda engine a while back, very good price.

Posts: 1663 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
My rule of thumb is, when for two months running the car generates unplanned repair bills that are higher than car payments on a potential replacement would be, it's time to dump the old one.

Posts: 15158 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Since the car is paid for I would fix it.

Posts: 5347 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Fix it.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I'd spend that in a heartbeat if that was the only issue. It's not a question of the value of the car, it's a question of how much driving time does that $1500 get you vs what you would spend on something new. That $1500 could easily buy you another 10 years and that is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new car. It really depends on what else is wrong with it I guess.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3586 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's my thinking and what I will probably do. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing else wrong with the car. Thanks to all for the replies.

Posts: 5795 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Thanks to all for the replies.

Well, apparently not all of them or you'd have taken some hints. Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Thanks to all for the replies.

Well, apparently not all of them or you'd have taken some hints. Razz

The hints are referring to this:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4860079934

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Before you do anything get a 2nd opinion from a transmission shop and not the dealer.
^^^This. I had a transmission shifting issue arise with my 2001 Ford F150 truck a few years ago. The dealer claimed the transmission had failed, so I was looking at a ~$3k bill to replace the tranny. I researched the issue on a couple Ford online forums and found a few similar cases which were ultimately resolved by replacing a failed shift solenoid. $14 and a couple hours on my back later, and the problem was resolved. I've put ~20k on the truck since that repair and the transmission is still shifting perfectly.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
This is why the shop I worked at briefly would not do transmission fluid after 100k. Too high a risk of killing the transmission. It's still worth a second opinion.

It's a lot cheaper to repair than to replace, but if you weren't thinking of keeping the car long term after, weigh the difference between the cost of repair and the payments on a new car over the same time.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does fresh fluid cause problems?

I'd fix it but look for an independent shop for cheaper. Or even a rebuild to be put in for less than $2K

P229

Posts: 3952 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watergoat:
Back when I was a Mazda tech, we put in a lot of transmissions, especially in hot weather. Probably 70-80% had new fresh fluid. The detergent additives break loose all the little deposits of clutch plate lining, etc, and clog the shift valve, and often the filter. Loses pressure, burns up. The instant oil change places like to sell a "trans service", which often kills it with kindness.
If you change the unit, make damn sure they clean the oil cooler and lines with trans flush, a lot of the gunk settles in there.

Good advice^^, I would try a total flush and fluid change on the chance of the initial did dislodge particles. A second opinion is always a good idea. Do you know someone that knows someone who moonlights in the field of auto repair?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
They want 1,500 dollars to repair it.

How many car payments will 1500 pay for?

Fix it. Did that to our 2004 Honda Pilot (different MX issues but similar bill & situation) and have zero regrets.

WRT transmission fluid changes, I never do them myself and let Honda do the whole flush and fill thing, not just the drain and refill which can cause issues.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I can’t answer your question but I recommend you add detail to your thread title. I’m surprised it hasn’t been locked yet.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4860079934

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
If the car is driving normally, and the transmission is operating and shifting properly, no slipping, shuddering, etc, then it's most likely not an internal mechanical problem inside the transmission.

Then the problem is most likely a sensor or wiring issue.

If that's the case, I'd probably just drive it until the wheels fell off before I spent that kind of money on it.

If it's slipping, shuddering, grumbling and groaning and making noises, then I'd spend some money to fix it.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
With the already mentioned caveat of second opinions, I'd absolutely fix it. It is not logical to look at the value of the vehicle. From an economic standpoint, the question is total cost of ownership for whatever period of time that is in question.

If you anticipate that you'll keep it just one more year, if $1500 is it, I highly doubt you could buy anything that would depreciate less than $1500 in one year. The same would be true if it were only worth $500.

To use an extreme example, if it were actually worthless-couldn't give it away-worth literally $0. You can spend $1500 and drive it another year. As an alternative, you get a great deal on a 4 year vehicle that has already taken a major depreciation hit-say you spend $10,000. If one year later your new vehicle is worth less than $8500, you are in a worse financial position than if you had paid the $1500 to repair yours.

To make a complete analysis, you should also look at gas mileage and cost of insurance as well. Gas mileage could be better on something newer, while insurance would likely be higher. Not likely a factor in this case.

From an economic standpoint only, it will almost always make more sense to keep repairing and driving the old vehicle. Forever. If the inconvenience of breaking down becomes too great, then that is a different matter.

Posts: 3549 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Before you do anything get a 2nd opinion from a transmission shop and not the dealer.
I’d likely put that money into the car but am guessing you’ll be closer to 1k at an independent shop.
Sounds like you got a transmission FLUSH and not a fluid swap.

^^^ This. Get a 2nd opinion from a transmission shop!

Also, yes, it sounds like you probably got a transmission FLUSH and not a fluid drain/fill.
That can create problems because it can knock loose a lot of gunk.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The devil you know better than the devil you don't, especially if the first one is paid for! From the sound of things it's still a good car...I'd fix it. But I'd also shop around a bit and get a second opinion from some independent places that specialize in transmissions...you way come in well under the quoted $1500.

Posts: 9251 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Vague thread title and vague thread question.

Did they tell you the actual code(s) set or were they able to set the MIL to shine for a quick buck?

Posts: 9429 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post