SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    School me on KFC meals, please.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on KFC meals, please. Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Probably one of my silliest questions in years.

Fact is I would like to go to KFC and know what I should order.
They haven't been around for long down here and once I tried some but it tasted like boiled tasteless chicken (?) rolled in broken glass. Must be missing something here...

Pretty sure the fanciest recipees will not be in the local menu for lack of ingredients but surely what makes KFC a successful franchise should be there.

As a side-personal note, I love hot Buffalo wings. Do they have anything close to it?

Thank you.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12169 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Their menu up here has some sort of glazed boneless wing things. If you want buffalo wings, you will be sorely disappointed unless KFC is a whole lot different down there. That said, it may be, since their fried chicken isn’t that terrible up here.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16278 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
KFC is one of my guilty pleasures. I enjoy it, but eat it sparingly for obvious reasons.

I just go bucket of extra crispy with potato wedges.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
KFC is one of my guilty pleasures. I enjoy it, but eat it sparingly for obvious reasons.

You’re in Philly. Surely, there’s a Royal Farms you could get to?!?!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16278 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The KFC Chicken Pot Pie:
It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Posts: 15927 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
They haven't been around for long down here and once I tried some but it tasted like boiled tasteless chicken (?) rolled in broken glass. Must be missing something here...

You're not. Their chicken is not that good.

Around here, there are any number of better choices for fried chicken. People mostly just go to KFC because it's fast and convenient, not because it's good.

(But some people claim to love it, just like there are some people who also love Taco Bell, whose food is even worse... So there's clearly an ass for every seat. Wink)

Posts: 32606 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I also need some education on KFC I think. Everytime I've tried it it tasted as bad as 0-0 described, but if you could somehow magically combine sogginess with the broken glass component.

The only thing I've every enjoyed there was some kind of limited time sandwich.

I've had one across the street for 20 years, five minute walk from my house. I've ate there less times than I have fingers on my left hand.

Is fried chicken a common meal in Argentina?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20894 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

You’re in Philly. Surely, there’s a Royal Farms you could get to?!?!

-Rob

They seem to be trying to push out wawa! Seem nice, I actually had my first fried chicken from RF last week. I think I’ll need to try it again before I can make a decision Smile

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
They are built on their Original Recipe chicken dinners, with mash potatoes & gravy, biscuits, and cole slaw. Not a fan of slaw, but I love the rest.

Its far too expensive here now for the family dinners. They do have these low priced lunch boxes with various other menu items like crispy tenders or a fillet.

Posts: 17913 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Wait until y'all get a Church's and go there instead. With KFC you're really not missing anything.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17016 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I prefer a little grease with on my chicken, not the other way around.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4622 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
wonder if the Argentine menu is the same as the USA menu

they used to be the bomb, years ago, cause they were basically the only fast food fried chicken in most areas,

then Churchs, Popeye's, Bojangles and Hardee's all make a better fried chicken,,,,

+ they are owned by PepsiCo,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10448 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I'd put KFC marginally ahead of a "fried chicken" Swanson frozen/TV dinner. In fact, the mashed potatoes from both places taste like they are squeezed out of the exact same nozzle in a factory in New Jersey. I agree that KFC's chicken pot pie is the best thing on the menu.

Churches or Popeye's are both better choices for fried chicken, but O-O may not have the luxury of those options, living in South America.

Posts: 26994 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
somehow magically combine sogginess with the broken glass component.

....my impression is the 'broken glass' thing is often replaced with some kind of grit commonly found in sweeping parking lots; given all the flaws of the menu, at least a couple times a year I will succumb to at least 1 'crispy thigh' or maybe a 'popcorn chicken' which consumed plain without the gooey sauces don't seem quite such a dietary insult.

I tried the Popeye version of chicken 3 times before abandoning it as well.

In the 60s & 70s my erratic life style often fell for the quick crunchy salty greasy allure of KFC. My tastes have changed.

Surely there's better food in Argentina.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If what you're getting is really so bad, maybe Col. Sanders' original recipe is getting lost in the translation, in a manner of speaking. When he was alive (d. 1980), long before it got bought by Pepsi, he would personally go around to restaurants and make sure they were adhering to his standards.
quote:
Fact is I would like to go to KFC and know what I should order.

What's so complicated about it? I just get the original recipe with "[whatever the number is] herbs and spices." They have other flavors and variations (lately a "Nashville Hot" and a "Honey BBQ," the former probably a regional thing since I'm in Tennessee), but I haven't bothered. I personally can't stand the Extra Crispy (its texture, now that I think about it, does remind me a little of broken glass), nor do I like pot pies.

Posts: 28071 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a side-personal note, I love hot Buffalo wings. Do they have anything close to it?

No, not really. Buffalo wings originated in Yankee New York, KFC in the South.

Posts: 28071 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 21144 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Sometimes recipes do not make it to other countries intact. When I lived in Mexico many moons ago, we ate at a place called El Pollo Loco. It was the best chicken I had ever tasted to date. I did miss it when I moved back to the State. At some point El Pollo Loco made it north of the border and with great anticipation, went for dinner. What a disappointment. It tasted nothing like the Mexican restaurant's chicken. It's even worse now.

KFC has changed a bit too since my earlier years....or I have. I still go on occasion. I prefer the original recipe. It could be that your local KFC is not doing chicken like it's done here based on your description of it. If that's the case, any advice from us North of the border types will be disappointing as well.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29758 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Was this guy the manager???

Big Grin

To the OP.....Some have mentioned Church's or Popeye's. I'd highly recommend either one of those over KFC. Popeye's has a really good 3-piece spicy boneless box, but I just can't eat it on a weekly basis...go there maybe 3 times a year, if that.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
They must use different spices there.
I LOVE the peppery original coating they have here.
And the mash potatoes and gravy with a biscuit is heaven.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39778 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post