SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reasonable period for post-war animosity
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reasonable period for post-war animosity Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I'm not an expert by far of history, either domestic or international.

But as I learn and get a little more familiar over time by watching movies, reading, and such, it occurs to me that animosity still pokes through despite the passage of time. But not consistently.

I would imagine that basically every culture, society, country on earth in history has been the victim of war at some point in time.

While history should never be forgotten, how long should the animosity reasonably last? I'm talking more at a societal level, not individual level.

For example, (and again, not an expert), but in these days of general peace, there seems to be still considerable animosity between Ireland and England, Korea and Japan, India and England.

On one hand, we seem to have appalling forgotten 9/11 and engage openly with those in the middle east who would do us harm. Yet, other societies hold on to decades or centuries old animosities.

And, in many of this, the society or culture themselves were far worse to their own citizens than those to whom they waged war.

For example, Korea seemed seemed to treat their own populace savagely for centuries, while doing battle against China, Mongolia, and at times Japan. Yet they continue to focus their animosity on Japan (while ironically adopting much of their modern culture).

Are there countries in Europe that hate either still? Let's even except Germany from WWI/II; Europe seems to have battles each other for centuries. Do those animosities persist at a societal level?

While not forgetting atrocities of the past, how long should war time animosities persist at the societal level?

Do the North and South still have real animosities (other than current day Dem vs Rep)? How long will this Black vs White/Asian thing last?

Sorry, just dumb rambling curiosities for today...

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well, We drive and buy Toyotas, Mercedes and Porsches, yet Japan killed many Americans as did Germany-Twice, we buy clothing and shoes from Vietnam, Electronics from Korea, and let Yankees move south.... Even if they don't know grits from granola.... Big Grin

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post