SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mid to late 2000's Ford 6.4 Turbo diesel super duty trucks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mid to late 2000's Ford 6.4 Turbo diesel super duty trucks Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Is the 6.4 diesel good or bad. I know the 6.0 was a no go. Not sure about the next version 6.4?

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
No bueno, based from what I’ve heard from friends who had them

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on my experience (which is more extensive than most) these have been solid engines. At least on par with the other realistic choices (noting of course to get a stick in a truck you have to get a cummins and a ram). But all these diesels are EPA engines and suffer from it. In all be the most rare circumstances there is no way to justify a modern pu diesel. Initial additional cost, added maintenance and real deal problems finding good people to fix them at way more cost. But there is nothing to fear about the 6.4 that isn't a real problem for all of these diesel motors but to be avoided unless you have one of the few circumstances that need one.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem with the 6.0 was the emissions system, dumping excess fuel primarily into the rear cylinders. This increased EGR, etc.

The 6.4 had an improved system, but unless the EGR is removed from the engine there will be problems. The Ram trucks with Cummins engines are extremely reliable, and cost little to maintain. The common rail versions are much quieter than the older traditional models.

If you have much towing to do, a diesel is a huge advantage.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Owned one. Had no problems with it. Towed a Fifth Wheel Trailer with it. One caution. If the turbos take a shit, the only way to access it is to remove the cab. Yes, remove the cab. It's a very expensive repair. I got rid of mine at about 60,000 miles. Others were not so lucky. Go to the Ford owners site if you want some horror stories.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've not heard good things but don't have personal experience with that engine. I bought a 2000 7.3 a couple years ago and it's been great.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
The 6.4 Powerstroke was hit or miss. In stock form it did the job but was known to have some issues. Ford only used the motor for maybe 4 years before switching to the 6.7 which was a far more superior motor than the 6.4. If your heart is set on Ford I would try and find a 6.7L for 2010+ or find a 6.0 that has been “bulletproofed” with the shop receipts to prove it.

I prefer the Cummins but that’s just personal taste. I have a 2017 2500 with the 6.7 which has been deleted so no worries about dealing with the Emissions system crap which hampers the trucks and needs serviced typically before anything else.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I would love to find a 1996-02 Dodge with a cummins. I am keeping my eyes open. I would probably trade my 2010 Tundra for one in mostly orig. condition with low miles. Not sure my wife would go for that. The Tundra is a great rig. I love the crewmax cab.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would love to find a 1996-02 Dodge with a cummins.

Unfortunately, such a truck will either be a rust bucket, or if not, the owner won't sell. My brother still has his 1992 one (old body style, second year they were intercooled, mechanical direct injection) and has been asked multiple times if he'd sell it. It's noisy AF and rides like a buckboard wagon full of bricks, but starts before you can let go of the key.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
I would love to find a 1996-02 Dodge with a cummins.

Unfortunately, such a truck will either be a rust bucket, or if not, the owner won't sell.

That's the way it is here in Ohio. Not sure if the southern selections are any better.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are on the hunt. Start now and don’t stop until you find one.

I did exactly that and it may have taken me 2 years.

My 1995 Dodge 2500 has the Cummins, manual trans, king cab, long bed and 2WD. All of which I wanted. It is a GREAT truck. Currently 193k miles. Found it in ‘14 with 95k. Paid 9k.
It came from Virginia, is solid underneath. Apparently they don’t salt the roads in the winter.
Believe they consider it a “Generation 2” model. Simple enough to do much of your own work on it. Economical as well, parts aren’t as expensive as those for newer models.
The reason for finding the 2WD is mileage. The differential gears are the 3.55. All (most?) of the 4WD have something like 4.10 gears which kill any economy on the highway. I have gotten 25 mpg on the highway. About 18-20 around town. This in a truck that the manufacturer says can carry a 2,995# load.
The new trucks? Too complex and expensive to maintain. On the forums the Dodge owners have trucks similar to mine with 300-400k miles. What other truck today can do that?

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
i will need a 4wd. i would most likely put a flatbed on it or buy one with one on it. It is something my wife would need to be able to drive on occasion. Her first rig was a stick. So she could drive one if need be so either a manual or auto would work. I think finding one is possible. But expensive. Probably $25k at a minimum. So might just be a unfulfilled dream. We'll see.

Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
The 6.4 was supposed to be an improvement on the 6.0 and initially it seemed that it was. Over time it became clear that it was actually the low point of Powerstroke diesels with respect to reliability. Now that the 6.0s have been out for a while they are actually superior, as long as you’re looking for a reliable, strong but not insanely strong diesel. It’s the last Powerstroke where you can fairly easily remove all vestiges of the EGR system, including making it so that you won’t get a check engine light. The HEUI fuel injection system ultimately limits how much power the engine can make but unless you’re looking to get into sled pulling or diesel drag racing, that is a non issue as 400 horsepower and 800 pounds foot is easily doable with utter reliability. If you are in a state that doesn’t do emissions testing then I would yank the EGR and get one of the programmers from Canada that allows you to completely remove the emissions programming from your computer. Put head studs in and then enjoy fuel efficient 325+ horsepower and 650 pounds feet in a reliable engine with a nearly bulletproof transmission.

Stay away from the 6.4 diesel. It was Ford’s first attempt at DPF and they are amongst the worst at making oil via the DPF regen process. The fuel economy is pitiful, I owned one and got only about 1 mpg better from it than I did from a 6.0 Chevy V8. The Siemens high pressure injection pump used on the 6.4 Powerstroke is even less tolerant to any moisture in the fuel than the Bosch CP4 that people have been complaining about in the newer diesels and that Cummins and GM have moved away from. The only good thing I will say about the 6.4 Powerstroke is that it still used the 5R110 transmission which is one of the best transmissions out there and probably the best transmission Ford ever made.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The 3/4 ton diesel pickups with manual transmissions I owned when I was a younger, stronger guy had clutch pedals I don’t think most wimmens are strong enough to operate. They were sufficiently stout to deter me from ever buying another one equipped that way.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stay away from the 6.4 diesel.

Agreed. The biggest source for info on the Powerstroke diesels (all generations) is powerstrokehelp.com Bill Hewitt is the owner of the site and runs a shop that is very well known for their work on Powerstrokes. A few years ago he stopped working on 6.4's because he considered them "throw away motors" and basically said if you have one now, GET RID OF IT.

Due to the short life of the motor (only used in 2008-2010 Ford trucks), parts availability is scarce and factory parts quality is poor.

I would avoid this motor no matter how attractive the price is.

On a side note these 2008-2010 trucks are very popular for a Cummins Swap but that opens a whole new can of worms.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately, such a truck will either be a rust bucket, or if not, the owner won't sell. My brother still has his 1992 one (old body style, second year they were intercooled, mechanical direct injection) and has been asked multiple times if he'd sell it. It's noisy AF and rides like a buckboard wagon full of bricks, but starts before you can let go of the key.

They can pry my 01 from my cold dead hands. That or bury me in it.

It was a garage kept Nevada truck with 0 rust, original, unfaded paint, and a clean interior. I've had multiple people offer me in the neighborhood of 20k for it.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post