SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Funeral reimbursement for Covid related death .

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Funeral reimbursement for Covid related death . Login/Join 
posted
Another thread about a funeral reminded me of something . We received a letter from the Funeral Home /Cemetery that handled my Mom's funeral last November . It seems FEMA will reimburse you up to 9000 dollars for funeral related expenses for deaths caused by Covid . I called the number provided and made the application over the phone . Faxed in the supporting documentation . Now we wait . Government wheels turn slowly .

Posts: 4065 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Report This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I understand the rationale for that policy. Why up to $9k for Covid when the normal death benefit is around $200?

Posts: 7318 | Registered: January 10, 2009Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
I'm not sure I understand the rationale for that policy. Why up to $9k for Covid when the normal death benefit is around $200?

Got to get them covid death numbers up.

Seriously, how many families do you think will insist that covid be put on the death certificate when you can get up to 9 grand? And from what I understand, covid doesn't even have to be the primary cause of death in order to get the benefit, just as long as covid is listed somewhere on the death certificate.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this.

Under "Who is Eligible?" there are several bullet points.

One states "The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses after January 20, 2020."

The very next states "There is no requirement for the deceased person to have been a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien."

It's all so perfectly clear now. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Funerals during covid were pretty limited.

I just checked the FAQ section for the reimbursement website. I did not see anything asking for income requirements.

As I take it someone who bought a fancy coffin with all the upgrades can get more money than someone who chose cremation with no service?

If you can afford the fancy coffin do you really need the money reimbursed?

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Not surprising...

Fraud Alert: We have received reports of scammers reaching out to people offering to register them for funeral assistance. FEMA has not sent any such notifications and we do not contact people before they register for assistance.

Learn More

Posts: 23524 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take a look at this.

Under "Who is Eligible?" there are several bullet points.

One states "The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses after January 20, 2020."

The very next states "There is no requirement for the deceased person to have been a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien."

It's all so perfectly clear now. Roll Eyes

Another reason for those involved in the funeral industry as well as next of kin to support Democratic Party candidates! They'll send you taxpayer money IF you'll kick back a bit to their campaign as well as cast your ballot for them. Roll Eyes

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10208 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Good grief <smh>

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:

Another reason for those involved in the funeral industry as well as next of kin to support Democratic Party candidates! They'll send you taxpayer money IF you'll kick back a bit to their campaign as well as cast your ballot for them. Roll Eyes

Not to mention all the six-figure salaried FEMA types it will take to administer the program. This sounds like nothing more than a more sophisticated, legal version of distributing 'walking around money', a practice popularized by politicians in the hood long ago which continues to this day.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Seriously, how many families do you think will insist that covid be put on the death certificate when you can get up to 9 grand? And from what I understand, covid doesn't even have to be the primary cause of death in order to get the benefit, just as long as covid is listed somewhere on the death certificate.
The flaw in your hypothesis is for people with life insurance policies with exceptions for pandemics. Several insurers saw the writing on the wall during SARS-COV-1 and MERS. In your hypothetical case, they'd be getting $9k funeral and giving up what is likely a larger life insurance policy.

Friend of a friend died of a heart attack spring '20 and never had a positive COVID test while alive or dead. Paramedics put cause of death as COVID (seemingly to get their cut of the gov't dole) and widow is having to sue to get cause of death fixed so she can get life insurance.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23303 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

The flaw in your hypothesis is for people with life insurance policies with exceptions for pandemics. Several insurers saw the writing on the wall during SARS-COV-1 and MERS. In your hypothetical case, they'd be getting $9k funeral and giving up what is likely a larger life insurance policy.

Friend of a friend died of a heart attack spring '20 and never had a positive COVID test while alive or dead. Paramedics put cause of death as COVID (seemingly to get their cut of the gov't dole) and widow is having to sue to get cause of death fixed so she can get life insurance.
Paramedics don't list the official cause of death on Death Certificates . Something fishy with that story .

Posts: 4065 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Report This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Paramedics don't list the official cause of death on Death Certificates . Something fishy with that story .

No, they don't have the authority.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages...th-certificates.html

Who Signs It?
According to the National Association of Medical Examiners about 20 percent of all death certificates are signed by a coroner or a medical examiner. Since autopsy rates have plummeted in hospitals, death investigators now perform the majority of the nation's autopsies, which remain a vital barometer for revealing causes that might otherwise have been missed. In 2007, the latest data available from the CDC, 201,000 autopsies were performed, accounting for just 8 percent of all deaths.

Others who can sign a death certificate include a primary physician, an attending physician, a non-attending physician, a medical examiner, a nurse practitioner, a forensic pathologist or a coroner, but it varies according to state law. In Texas, for example, a justice of the peace can sign. Typically, deaths have to be recorded with local health departments within 72 hours of the death, and to the state within five to seven days.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Report This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
In the state of Louisiana the coroner does not need to have ANY type of medical liscense or training. That is a elected position and can hold that position as long as a actual doctor does not run for the office. They are required to have a proper investigation done by whatever qualified person or persons needed and then issue the death certificate. ..................... and the covid death reimbursements is a ploy to sway the unwashed over to their side of the voter polls. ................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

No, they don't have the authority.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages...th-certificates.html

Who Signs It?
According to the National Association of Medical Examiners about 20 percent of all death certificates are signed by a coroner or a medical examiner. Since autopsy rates have plummeted in hospitals, death investigators now perform the majority of the nation's autopsies, which remain a vital barometer for revealing causes that might otherwise have been missed. In 2007, the latest data available from the CDC, 201,000 autopsies were performed, accounting for just 8 percent of all deaths.

Others who can sign a death certificate include a primary physician, an attending physician, a non-attending physician, a medical examiner, a nurse practitioner, a forensic pathologist or a coroner, but it varies according to state law. In Texas, for example, a justice of the peace can sign. Typically, deaths have to be recorded with local health departments within 72 hours of the death, and to the state within five to seven days.
239 of 254 Texas counties have justice of the peace with zero medical backgrounds issuing death certificates. During the early days of COVID, the only medical people the JoP may have spoken with was the paramedic since hospitals were turning away everyone they could to conserve PPE and regular doctors offices were closed. Early on, the PPE shortage was so bad that the Houston area actually built sanitizing tents and conexes for used PPE so first responders and medical people could reuse their PPE.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23303 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
In the state of Louisiana the coroner does not need to have ANY type of medical liscense or training. That is a elected position and can hold that position as long as a actual doctor does not run for the office. They are required to have a proper investigation done by whatever qualified person or persons needed and then issue the death certificate. ..................... and the covid death reimbursements is a ploy to sway the unwashed over to their side of the voter polls. ................... drill sgt.
You mean it's ANOTHER ploy to sway people ... Just like the extra unemployment benefits , Student loan forgivness idea , minimum wage increase , and on and on ... There's no end to it .
However , their efforts are wasted on me .