SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need bicycle recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need bicycle recommendations Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Should get a Kuwahara, they can really fly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 11590 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Road bike, mountain bike really doesn't matter.

You need a more upright seating position that also is not a problem with a road bike.

They make stems for the handle bars that come up at an angle to give you that upright seating position. I have one on one of my road bikes that allowed me to sit more upright.

The stems are not expensive.

What ever bike you decide go and get a professional fit done on it so that it fits you properly.

This will include saddle position, seat post height, stem length and angle and if you wear cleats it will adjust the cleats on your shoes for proper foot position.

I love Bianchi, and Orbea for bikes, but also have a couple Raleighs that have served me well.

Posts: 3567 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
I’ve been riding a Specialized Hard Rock for several years and I’d like to replace it. For a cheap bike it’s done well but my riding is only on the road through my neighborhood (I have a 10 mile loop I do solely to get exercise since I can no longer jog). I can ride that at 13-14 mph and it’s difficult enough to get my heart rate where I need it for a decent workout. I like an upright seating position so I have a bar riser installed on it (leaning over like on road bikes hurts my back).
Anyway, what bikes do you recommend that are $1000 and under? My local shop has a Cannondale Trail 6 I’m looking at but I’m looking for the most bang for my buck but I have no knowledge of components (I.e. which derailleur is best or worst).

So on a 'road bike' you can get to approximately 17 mph on the level depending on altitude and fitness level. Consider putting narrow rims and tires on the Rock Hopper for a 'road bike' configuration. Component marketing is a big thing in the bike industry. Unless you are a 'pro' or a wannabe there is little need to spend a lot on bike components. Older stuff is quite sufficient but parts can be an issue as with anything. Changing out the rear cluster can get your heartrate up!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Electra Townies. One is single speed and the other three speed. The single speed makes me feel like a kid again as it is very much like the bike I used to ride as a kid. Mine are very comfortable and have held up great. Upright and comfortable to ride.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16373 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crank Forward bikes are upright riders and worth a look.

RANS crank forwards are made in Montezuma, KS

Posts: 441 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post