SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need bicycle recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need bicycle recommendations Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted
I’ve been riding a Specialized Hard Rock for several years and I’d like to replace it. For a cheap bike it’s done well but my riding is only on the road through my neighborhood (I have a 10 mile loop I do solely to get exercise since I can no longer jog). I can ride that at 13-14 mph and it’s difficult enough to get my heart rate where I need it for a decent workout. I like an upright seating position so I have a bar riser installed on it (leaning over like on road bikes hurts my back).
Anyway, what bikes do you recommend that are $1000 and under? My local shop has a Cannondale Trail 6 I’m looking at but I’m looking for the most bang for my buck but I have no knowledge of components (I.e. which derailleur is best or worst).

Posts: 4222 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a time when some bikes were manufactured in the USA however now most if not all are now made in Taiwan or China and are own by the same company. I would look at Trek FX line which used to be their fitness line. Giant also has some nice bikes. FYI if you want to save some money, the quality and components of the Big Box store bikes like Mongoose, Iron Horse, Schwinn, etc found in Walmart and Target, etc now are comparable to the high end bikes of about 5 to 10 years ago. I would go to several stores and try out several you like and are in your budget and most of all see the after sale service if you are not proficient with your own maintenance. Enjoy and God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3091 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Get something used on Craigslist. Mid-range bikes lose a lot of their value very quickly but there is very little performance difference between new and one that's three years old and has sat in someone's garage.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Cannondale makes a pretty good bike. Of the bikes like you describe that I have been out on, Trek makes a damn fine bike as well as Santa Cruz. My view on these may be a touch skewed, as I was riding extremely expensive bikes. I have a friend that rides competitively.

As far as derailleurs the Shimano Deore XT__ or SRAM X__ are about as good as one can get. Personally I prefer Shimano. I swapped out the brakes on the BMX to a full Shimano set. It’s what I have used for years and I trust their build quality.

Get rid of the bikes with big wheels and gears, but most adults aren’t interested in a “kids bike”.

I have ridden a 20” BMX all my life. The big wheels and gears take all the fun out of it, and they’re too big and cumbersome to me. Last year I picked up a Sunday Scout. It’s built and sized for someone of my height. 5’10”. That said I had to ditch the stock seat and seat post and get a real seat and seat post. Now I can sit at a normal height and pedal, and don’t have to be limited to only standing and pedaling.

It’s a 2018 Sunday Scout. I upgraded the bars to some new old stock Peregrine bars that I found on the web. All aluminum bars and quite nice. I was stoked to find them. Pedals are Diety. I think they cost about 20% the cost if the bike, but they grip very well. That said, it’ll core sample your shin if you’re not wearing shin guards. Swapped out the stock seat and post, and need to upgrade the brakes. I would like Shimano. Now I just need to ditch the dumb fat tires that are all the rage nowadays.

Anyways, here are some pics of the “kids bike” that I ride. Pics are old, right after I bought it.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4317 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Sounds like this is what you're looking for:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/verve/

You'll spend less than half your budget. With the money saved, definitely get fitted, it will increase your efficiency. Have you considered going clipped in?

Posts: 13286 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I might suggest a fat bike. It will be a lot easier to get your heart rate up due to higher rolling resistance, it's all season, all terrain FOR REAL. I resisted the fad when they first came out. Yet now I have one and I love it.

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
the advice to look on Craigslist is really goodie you know what bike you want. You can find bikes that were bought and rarely ridden for much less than new.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3721 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My wife has one of the Trek comfort bikes. She likes it. Hybrid tires, upright position, comfort seat.

I have an old mid-90s Trek mountain bike that I just put street tires on. Works fine. The Rock Shox are like rocks now anyhow.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I would look for used first, as others have suggested. A year or so ago my wife found me a used Trek that the local bike shop had as a rental; they were selling their rentals off to upgrade. So I got a $1000 Trek for $500, and upgraded the seat, bars, and pedals. Great bike, except I’ve now broken 4 spokes somehow.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1731 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you on gravel or pavement?

For pavement, Trek Fx and the other brands’ flat bar hybrid is the way to go.

My current rides (Trek Madone and Kestrel Talon SL) are Craigslist specials. I’ve gotten thousands of miles each and I’m looking to replace them. However I’ll go new and a LBS because I’ve proven to myself that I’ll ride enough to absorb the depreciation.

P229

Posts: 3943 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Maybe test ride a Cannondale Synapse. It's a more upright road bike, not sure if it'd still be too laid over for you.

I'd say Shimano 105 or better on components, not sure what the equivalent SRAM level is.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15967 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Rival is the SRAM 105 equivalent. Rival has served me well. I promised myself Chorus for my 60th birthday. I have had a Synapse for 9 years now. Love it.

Posts: 7648 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, I am strictly on pavement except for the occasional time when I have to get off the road for traffic. I have not even considered the clip on shoes yet. Also, I looked on Craigslist but so far no decent deals. I will spend the next several weeks looking to see what comes up used and I also found some clearance bikes at a local shop. I may wait until after Christmas and see if I can go in and get a better deal. Right now I like this one: https://www.bayareacycling.com...-cujo-1-309284-1.htm

Posts: 4222 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would recommed a Hybrid bike.

I think for your price point that you should go to a good bike shop and get one that fits you perfectly and feels right when you ride it etc. etc. I can't comment on brands.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
Thanks for all the replies, I am strictly on pavement except for the occasional time when I have to get off the road for traffic. I have not even considered the clip on shoes yet. Also, I looked on Craigslist but so far no decent deals. I will spend the next several weeks looking to see what comes up used and I also found some clearance bikes at a local shop. I may wait until after Christmas and see if I can go in and get a better deal. Right now I like this one: https://www.bayareacycling.com...-cujo-1-309284-1.htm

A bit of a haul from Frienswood, but Bike Lane in The Woodlands is a great LBS & has a pretty good selection. I'm sure there's good shops down there too.

I'd say hit up a larger LBS & test ride some variety to see what fits you well.
A lot like handguns, we can all recommend our preference, but it has to fit you.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15967 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you’re pavement, get a hybrid and avoid the weight of a MTB frame, wheels and suspension. Test ride a hybrid and I think you’ll find the ride much nicer on pavement than a MTB. Plenty of new hybrids for $600-1000.

P229

Posts: 3943 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This spring I picked up a Specialized Roubaix from Craig's List. New the Roubaix can go from $3k - $11k. I paid $800 for one that was on the lower end and about 5 years old.

The bike is carbon fiber and very light. The newer ones are built with features designed to absorbe the rough roads.

I'd buy it again.

Posts: 367 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA DuckHunter:
This spring I picked up a Specialized Roubaix from Craig's List. New the Roubaix can go from $3k - $11k. I paid $800 for one that was on the lower end and about 5 years old.

The bike is carbon fiber and very light. The newer ones are built with features designed to absorbe the rough roads.

I'd buy it again.

There are some great deals out there on used endurance bikes like the robaix. Ride father and faster with decent comfort.

friends dont let friends ride hybrids lol. I mean Obama rode a hybrid with his mom pants !!!

Posts: 7864 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If you're sticking to your 10 mile paved loop, any bike with a suspension will be a waste. I'd look for something like a Giant Fastroad SL3.

Posts: 11590 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I wonder what he ended up getting?

Posts: 7864 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post